Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    Hello everyone, long time no see... ...anyways.... my OPINIONS.

)BTW - I don't own any Bose Wave, or Cambridge Soundworks radio or anything, I have a $50 Sony Alarm clock with a CD player built in. For my better listening, I have a cheap pair of cheap Paradigms wired into the Bedroom and hung them off brackets, still cheaper than the cost of these radios and better sounding, but to each their own.)

1. The wave radio is not a bad product, it's just an overpriced product at the prices they are charging. Are they as bad as some say? No, not really. I mean, to compare it to a $5 GPX system or something like that like some people do is ridiculous. I think because it has the name Bose, people have to say it's the worst sounding thing in the history of products, and I think that's stretching it.

2. The remote is small, so what? There are PLENTLY of other products out there that have had small remotes (some even smaller) but no one complains about them (at least not to this degree). Why? "Because this product is Bose, so let me take everything to the Nth degree!" How about all of those car stereos that have even smaller remotes? And there have been other mini systems that have had remotes that small too. Hey, take care of your stuff and maybe you won't lose the remote. It's really that simple.

3. Yes, to have no buttons on the system is really stupid, but a great sales ploy as other people pointed out. BTW - the replacement remote is $9.99, not $100 as someone suggested.

In short, would I ever buy the Wave Radio? Heck no, to spend that much on a radio/CD is crazy. I'd rather wire (like my father did) a discman CD with tuner to the cambridge soundworks Soundworks system (he used it in the kitchen and put the tiny cubes upside down underneath the top kitchen cabinets, like those under cabinet radios), and put the little powered woofer under the island and put the discman on the counter, and the sound is WAY better than the Wave for about 1/2 the cost). But my point is, people just destroy Bose because it's Bose. Yes, they have many faults, but so do many other competitors, but no one goes nuts on them.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

OK Woody...

...with all due respect, let's play like we play the cable game...

What proof do you have? Anything objective?, facts?, figures?...heck, I'm all ears...show me...or is it all subjective and anecdotal in nature?

jimHJJ(...jus' wunnerin'...)

Sorry...

...I have yet to hear any of the Bose products produce their full potential even in a Bose store...a lot of the carping simply seems yada, yada, yada, Bose is bad...so quite the contrary to yours, IMO, it's jump on the bandwagon and have a bash...

Pardon the tangent but, it's been said before and I tend to agree, that applying the same listening parameters to direct radiators and nearly all Bose loudspeakers is not going to tell the whole story.

That quite the contrary to mass "audiophile" opinion, the Acoustimass stuff seems perfectly suitable to HT( which is an abomination of and by itself), ...in fact my first exposure to it was in a PC Richard where they were playing the Eagles "When Hell Freezes Over" DVD, seemed fine to me...I was so impressed, that it was the first disc I bought when I finally got a DVD player(another freebie), which, by-the-by, just plays through my tee-vee...Was it the disc or was it the playback system? I think a little of both...although my reference system has an incredible bottom end and all the other required attributes, the Bose seemed to do a good job IMO. Add simple hook-up and high scores in the WAF category...that's enough for some.

Again, the Wave products couldn't be simpler, and in the right circumstances that's all one may need...and yes, you pay for convenience, it's factored into the price, along with the ad costs...just like prescription drugs and a host of other things...I mean people love ads that congratulate their "good taste" and all...and they love thinking what they own is the "best"...how do else do you account for all the morons running around with their Gucci, Pucci-knock-offs, who can't wait to get to the next outlet mall to buy sub-par, name brand, made-specifically-for-the-outlet-mall goods?

As far as upgrade-ability...that segment of the market most likely doesn't take that into consideration...to repeat, plug'n'play. If they trade-up every year in the car department, they'll probably do it in the stereo/HT one also...Any one who has intentions of using a "building block" approach to their system oughta' know better...if they don't, shame on them...caveat emptor and I have no problem with anyone tellin' those folks the realities involved at the outset...

Finally, to put things into proper perspective, the "common decency" of gathering information about an issue, goes hand-in-hand with "impeaching" the credibility of anyone who profers non-issues...like eutectic solders and Teflon coatings or nit-piks the cost of a replacement remote.

jimHJJ(...I much prefer being informed...)

First, set a course for the nearest Starbase...

...replace your dilithium crystals and switch to threaded mode...I think you'll see I was responding directly to Nightflier...

The general part of my post re: familiarizing myself with the facts to do battle against the "audiophile hoo-haa" promoters was just that..."general"...everything from wire that went into space to revealing the true purpose of eutectic solders, IEC connectors and CAT5, Teflon coated wire...If it now extends to what seems to be conjecture and/or hearsay from Bose bashers, so be it! So many balloons and me with my little pin, what's a boy to do?

jimHJJ(...pop, pop, pop, pop...say...isn't that from Die Zauberflote?...)

nightflier

OK, fine.

I'm happy that you're happy with your Bose radio. There are much better values out there, and the point of these forums is to help you figure that out before you purchase. After the purchase, these forums really can't do much more for you.

In the end, it's the music that matters, not the electronics. If you are now sitting back and enjoying your music on equipment that satisfies you, then what are we arguing about? IMHO, I think it's a pitty that the company's practices did not give you pause, that the price didn't make you hesitate, and that the many previous discussions on these forums about Bose didn't way into your decision. But hey, to each his own.

But starting a discussion with "Bose is Amazing!!!!" is really an invitation to an argument. Even is you had said "Martin Logan is Amazing!!!" after purchasing the speakers, there would still be many here who would indulge you in a hardy debate. I almost wonder if you didn't just blow $500 on a clock radio just to come and tell us about it.

I guess I'll just wait until you roll over & crack that remote lost in your bedsheets....

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...I have yet to hear any of the Bose products produce their full potential even in a Bose store...a lot of the carping simply seems yada, yada, yada, Bose is bad...so quite the contrary to yours, IMO, it's jump on the bandwagon and have a bash...
    But, you get that issue with ANY audio product that you hear in a store demo. If I do in store listenings of competing products, they're all hampered by similar handicaps.

Just attributing the heat that Bose takes in various audio forums to some bandwagon bash mentality just doesn't sync with the fact that so many regulars on this board and others HAVE owned Bose products and have done valid comparisons with competing products. I had a pair of 301s in my home for two years, and base my opinion that its a below average speaker for its price point on actual listenings and home comparisons (some of which were done under blind conditions). Sure, some of the Bose bashing goes overboard, but the most common complaints about their products -- poor value, substandard performance relative to competing products at the same price point, lack of upgradability, etc. -- are pretty applicable across much of their product line.

Again, the Wave products couldn't be simpler, and in the right circumstances that's all one may need...and yes, you pay for convenience, it's factored into the price, along with the ad costs...just like prescription drugs and a host of other things...I mean people love ads that congratulate their "good taste" and all...and they love thinking what they own is the "best"...how do else do you account for all the morons running around with their Gucci, Pucci-knock-offs, who can't wait to get to the next outlet mall to buy sub-par, name brand, made-specifically-for-the-outlet-mall goods?
    And again, the whole purpose of this thread was to point out that Bose probably outsmarted themselves by going to this buttonless remote-only design on their new Wave radio. Has nothing to do with snob appeal or designer prestige, but a simple matter of functionality, which is the design aspect that Bose normally does very well compared to its competitors.

As far as upgrade-ability...that segment of the market most likely doesn't take that into consideration...to repeat, plug'n'play. If they trade-up every year in the car department, they'll probably do it in the stereo/HT one also...Any one who has intentions of using a "building block" approach to their system oughta' know better...if they don't, shame on them...caveat emptor and I have no problem with anyone tellin' those folks the realities involved at the outset...
    I've followed this forum for about four years, and these are some of the most oft-repeated questions you'll see -- Can I upgrade the subwoofer on my Acoustimass? How do I plug different speakers into my Lifestyle system? Telling those Bose owners that their $3,000 investment requires a whole new system to upgrade it is not what they want to hear, but it's the reality. Boards like this one are one of the few places where they will hear about the drawbacks to Bose's proprietary, nonupgradable systems. Think they'll hear much about it in a magazine, on the radio, or at a retail store (the largest of which all carry Bose, and where Bose products give them the fattest margins this side of Monster Cable)? Saying that a consumer should know better presumes that the information is readily available for them to consider.

Finally, to put things into proper perspective, the "common decency" of gathering information about an issue, goes hand-in-hand with "impeaching" the credibility of anyone who profers non-issues...like eutectic solders and Teflon coatings or nit-piks the cost of a replacement remote.

jimHJJ(...I much prefer being informed...)
    Uh, sounds more like argument for its own sake, but maybe that's just me.

The general part of my post re: familiarizing myself with the facts to do battle against the "audiophile hoo-haa" promoters was just that..."general"...everything from wire that went into space to revealing the true purpose of eutectic solders, IEC connectors and CAT5, Teflon coated wire...If it now extends to what seems to be conjecture and/or hearsay from Bose bashers, so be it! So many balloons and me with my little pin, what's a boy to do?
    I guess not. Conjecture and/or hearsay from Bose bashers? Sounds more like contrarian speculation on your part. I hear a lot air escaping, better be careful with where you stick that pin. Might hurt yourself.

Mother Mary and Joseph!...

...I no speak de Ingles so good, you betcha'...

Did you actually read this thread? I didn't start the thread and I didn't purchase the friggin' radio!!!

Do you have a prescription for that cannabis?

Try viewing the thread in one of the alternate modes...you may actually see who is answering who and who is saying what to whom...

jimHJJ(...I have seen the future and I'm glad I'll be dead!...)

Remember, the air you hear may be your own...(nt)

NFText

Forum Regular
    my former nextdoor neighbor had the accouistmass cubes. decent(just decent) sounding for movies (forget the woofer though). overpriced. period. its hard to say good things about it when you listen to it and harder to say bad things about it especially when the neighbor is nextdoor guy and when he seems to be overly happy about it.
    but someone calls Bose 'unethical'?? what is so unethical about pricing it high if there are people to buy for the price they put? there would be tons of people who believe anyone who spends 60k on a Hummer is a complete idiot. does that make the company unethical? what about the 28k virgin mary sandwitch that was sold in ebay? will the lady who sold it go to hell because she is unethical? may be she should have ended the auction when it crossed 9.99 and gave it away to the guy who bid 10? there are millions of people who believe Mr.Bush went to war for oil? Does it make this war unethical? hmm.. may be yeah. okay wrong analogy. But the point is that, Bose's clever marketing/product design guys had the brains to 'think for' a lot of cute-tiny-hip-speaker-with-big(doesntmeangood)-sound-loving people and market it it to them. I call Bose smart, not unethical. Will I ever buy the tiny cubes? NO. Will I buy their wavesystem? NO. Will I buy their towers for my rec room? YES, if i get a real good deal.

nightflier

Sorry

This thread was getting so long, I had forgotten who started the thread. I stand corrected. But, hey, ResLoser, you took the ball and ran with it.

Worf, you started this, you may need to end it....

Unhappy I'd stop the madness if I could...

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    This thread was getting so long, I had forgotten who started the thread. I stand corrected. But, hey, ResLoser, you took the ball and ran with it.

Worf, you started this, you may need to end it....
    I just gave my opinon based up on what I'd read---------------------------------------> over here....
    and dealt with through use of the first Wave Radio... Simple as that..

Da Worfster

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information