Forum Regular

component venting? how much is needed?

Just moved into a new place that has a lot of built in cabinets under a wall of windows.
    I'd love to hide my components in these cabinets.

Although the previous owner did put outlets in the cabinets, these were not designed specifically for placing components. There is no air ventilation. I'm thinking of getting some pros to help cut the cabinets and put in ventilation grills. I've got a receiver, plasma media box, dvd/cd player, digital cable box and vcr to put in there. All won't fit in one cabinet so i'll spread them across two. That means two vents.

My question: How big do the vents need to be?

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

It all depends on how hot your receiver runs while driving your speakers. Some stay pretty cool while others get really warm. I've seen a lot of people stuff their gear into cabinets and really, if it doesn't shut down, you have enough air. Still, better safe than sorry. Have you considered replacing the center of the doors with a screen material? This way, you'll get some venting while also allowing your remote to operate the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonerMan
    Just moved into a new place that has a lot of built in cabinets under a wall of windows.
    I'd love to hide my components in these cabinets.

Although the previous owner did put outlets in the cabinets, these were not designed specifically for placing components. There is no air ventilation. I'm thinking of getting some pros to help cut the cabinets and put in ventilation grills. I've got a receiver, plasma media box, dvd/cd player, digital cable box and vcr to put in there. All won't fit in one cabinet so i'll spread them across two. That means two vents.

My question: How big do the vents need to be?

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott
    The only thing that really needs air is the receiver. Step one is to make sure it has breathing room above it. Six inches should be plenty. If the cabinet is closed when the system is playing you might also want to consider making sure the area behind your receiver is open (this will also help with all the wiring).

Unless you have a very high powered receiver and run the hell out it for long periods, I do not believe much more is needed than what I have told you.

Although, after rereading your post, you don't mention if the cabinets are stuck to the wall. In that case, then yes I would get some vents cut. My suggestion would be to cut them so they can fit a heating vent cover (i.e. these are inexpensive and you can get different colors, etc.).
    Friends help friends move,
    Good friends help friends move bodies....

Forum Regular

Venting components

You should allow your components to vent whenever they are upset or just in need of attention!

Thread Information