Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: antenna?

Forum Regular

antenna?

Ok just wondering if any one knows of a rilly good fm antenna. Ya Ya stupid question but i just cant seam to get my favorite radio station in perfict, Whitch i can do but have to stand in the middle of the room holding the antenna... So if any one knows of some uber duber fm antenna please let me know..

Forum Regular

Forum Regular
    This one also

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882145004

Think newegg have 30 day money back thing so i might just get it and see how it works

All little amplified antennas suck

If all it took for good FM reception was a little piece of mtal and a big amp. there would be no need for these. You're better off with your little dipole antenna.

Here's some reasonable alternatives. They do get bigger and more expensaive but these will generally suffice unless you're really out in the boonies. I use one similar to the small one myself.

http://www.antennacraft.net/FM.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Whatever6750
    I would stay away from amplified antennas. They tend to amplify noise along with the signal, and if signal is weak, all you will get is amplified noise.

Radioshack have an excellent dipole antenna made specifically for FM. Catalog #: 42-2385 for $4.29

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

Forum Regular
    Receiver dosent have fm termanals has like the same thing as cable tv..

Forum Regular
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=210-020

Looks like the same thing as at radioshack only cheaper.. Is there an adaptor for 75ohm to 300ohm?

75 beeing cable type termanal 300 beeing 2 screw type termanals..

Receiver dosent have fm termanals has like the same thing as cable tv..
    Then you will need this adaptor also from radioshack. Catalog #: 15-1296 $5.00

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

nightflier

Location, location, location.

It's less about the type of antenna than where it is located. If your antenna only sounds good in the center of the room, then the problem is interference. The best thing to do it to install the antenna higher, if possible outside. For most people who live in metropolitain areas, an omnidirectional antenna similar to a car antenna works best if it is not blocked by other signals, transformers, cables, structures, etc. One anteanna I would recommend is this one from AudioAdvisor.com:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...20FM%20Antenna

Dynalab has been in the business a long time, and they know FM better than most.

Forum Regular
    I dont want to spend a whole lot on a antenna, I get pritty good reseption its just a little bit of white noise like sound when like some on is talking or like intros to songs that my be quieter.

With all due rspect...

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    It's less about the type of antenna than where it is located. If your antenna only sounds good in the center of the room, then the problem is interference. The best thing to do it to install the antenna higher, if possible outside. For most people who live in metropolitain areas, an omnidirectional antenna similar to a car antenna works best if it is not blocked by other signals, transformers, cables, structures, etc. One anteanna I would recommend is this one from AudioAdvisor.com:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...20FM%20Antenna

Dynalab has been in the business a long time, and they know FM better than most.
    Many people have found that the "turnstyle" type antennas, such as the small one on the Antennacraft pages, do at least (and i'm being chariatable here) as good a job as that stick antenna. I got one similar from RatShak for under $20 a few years ago. dunno if they still sell 'em.

Linear Guy

consider spending a bit

I would ask you to consider spending a bit. I had a couple of amplified products for the inside and both did improve the sound marginally but dragged in some noise along with it. When I decided that FM was in fact very important to me ( World Cafe, Mountian Stage, Jazz in the night etc) I went to Radio Shack and bought a standard outside mount dedicated FM antenna. This was about 3 years ago and I think the whole set-up including mounting brackets and the additional RG 59 cable run to the inside ran me about 100.00, plus a days worth of homeowners language for instalation. I just got up on the corner of the building , dragged a compass up there with me, aimed it toward the city and mounted it there. As a result, all the city stations ( approximately 25 miles as the crow flies) come in at around 9 out of 10 on the analog meter on the Mag Dyn. I never worry about reception anymore. Best 100.00 I've spent on hi-fi gear. I would thnk that Maf Dyn's small exterior mount antenna is also good since they make serious products but I have no direct knowledge of it. Consider the long term solution and by-pass the amplified interior stuff. You already have enough stuff plugged in anyway. Good Luck. dk

Forum Regular
    If i where to have an outdoor antenna what type of wite would i need to run from the rx to it?

Linear Guy

coaxial

Shielded coaxial cable will run from the outside antenna to your receiver. It is 75 ohm stuff the same as tv cable . It costs maybe 20 bucks for 50 ft. You can buy it practically anywhere. Consider getting the antenna cable with an attached gounding lead. The wire goes inside your house and the groundig wire goes to conductive metal stake that you pound into the ground. Inside the house, you might want to get a surge arrestor type power strip that also has antenna wire in and out on the end of it. The in comes from the antenna and the out goes to your receiver. It might protect your equipment from a lightning strike. These are not expensive items.

either 300 ohm flat lead or, more commonly used, 75 ohm coax.

The 300 ohm has less signal loss but is a bit more susceptible to noise. I use 300 ohm into the house (50') and then convert to 75 ohm coax for the amplifier/splitter. From there, It's sent to four receivers via coax.

Should you choose to go 75 ohm coax all the way, most antennas are 300 ohm and you'll need to purchase a weatherproof 300/75 ohm transformer to mount on the antenna. It's only about $4 or so @ RatShack.

Forum Regular
    Well im getting my favorite station in perfict now by useing a cable wire from the rx to the antenna that came with the rx on the window. Only thing now is theres a fue stations i would like to get in better. So eavn thow its comeing in good now still looking for possable options for the near future.

Forum Regular
    GRRR..

Thought i had it all good but its just sooo sinsitive...

Now im thinking i might as well get some type if out doos antenna..

Would need to in the $25 range if possable..

Signal strength vs multipath

If the signal is just plain weak, then a directional antenna and a way to aim it is the solution. Most TV antennas pick up FM just fine and can be found dirt cheap at garage sales etc. The more elements the higher the gain and the more directional they become.

If you are lucky then all the stations you want to hear are in the same direction and you can permanently aim the anttenna that way (in the attic sometimes works, on the roof is best).

Now multipath is a different critter, often sounds are garbeled or grainy, sometimes the volume goes up and down fast, kind of like a motor boat. Multipath is a problem in cities with high rise buildings or in hilly areas.

The best solution for multipath seems to be a very directional antenna, one with many elements probably with a boom that's 6 to 10 feet long. By aiming this monster carefully, a clean signal can often be found but it may or may not be pointed directly towards the station. Worse it may need to be aimed differntly for different stations.

If you have cable TV, many cable companies add FM stations to the cable signal. You will need a splitter and a band seperation filter often also called a splitter (good Ol Radio Shack, try and get one that has VHF/UHF/FM outputs) The first splitter (usually a little silver metal can) goes between your TV and the cable outlet on the wall. The second goes between the first splitter and the new cable to your receiver FM input. (It might work without the second splitter) Most frequency splitters have 300 Ohm outputs, often a little short piece of twin lead, so you will also need the 300 to 75 Ohm adapter mentioned earlier in the posts.

Forum Regular
    its not to weak i think its more a problem of not rilly haveing any ware to place the antenna and interference from other stuff.. Like if the antenna is with in 2-3 feet of my computer theres barly any signal. Think ima just try and find a way to rig up something out side...

Is there any such thing thats like whats used for like cb radios for cars/trucks where the antenna is on the out side and another thing on the inside. I.E something that wouldent requier runing a wire out side..

Sorry about the spelling..

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hermanv
    if you have cable TV, many cable companies add FM stations to the cable signal. You will need a splitter and a band seperation filter often also called a splitter (good Ol Radio Shack, try and get one that has VHF/UHF/FM outputs) The first splitter (usually a little silver metal can) goes between your TV and the cable outlet on the wall. The second goes between the first splitter and the new cable to your receiver FM input. (It might work without the second splitter) Most frequency splitters have 300 Ohm outputs, often a little short piece of twin lead, so you will also need the 300 to 75 Ohm adapter mentioned earlier in the posts.
    I did not know that. To bad theres no cable jacks in the room :-(

nightflier

Splitting hairs

Herm,

So I can use the same antenna for FM as I do with TV with a splitter?

Also, if I have several radios in the house, how many times can I "split" the signal?

While we're on the subject, can I combine antennas on a single cable? Will that improve things if one is omnidirectional and the other directional?

Nightflier:
    Each splitter will cost you 1/2 the signal strength or 3dB (no free lunch) but a band splitter if properly made will not cost 1/2 the signal (i.e all the FM will go to one output all the TV to another). They make 3, 4 and even 6 output splitters if you have a strong signal or cable that works fine. They even make amplified splitters, 'course those use a wall wart.

Yes you can "add" antenna signals but the weaker one will deplete the stronger in this case. Unless each antenna is a single frequency model. In worst case scenarios, I've seen installations with several single channel antennas facing different directions sumed with a splitter.

Whatever6750:
    I have never seen a through wall/window coupler for FM you can make one but it will look silly. Paste one of those "T" shapped antennas on the outside of a window run the wires to the antenna on the roof. Paste another "T" shaped antenna on the inside of the window as close and aligned with the outside one as possible. The two antennas will couple the signal right through the glass.

Suppose a hill or cliff blocks the signal from the city? I have seeen people place a high gain antenna on the hill behind their house, with that antenna wired directly to a second antenna facing down the hill towards their house. Now a third antenna on the rooftop aimed at the second antenna on the hill will let the house "see" over the hill. Neat eh? (Lossy, yes, but workable)

Forum Regular
    Whatever6750:
    I have never seen a through wall/window coupler for FM you can make one but it will look silly. Paste one of those "T" shapped antennas on the outside of a window run the wires to the antenna on the roof. Paste another "T" shaped antenna on the inside of the window as close and aligned with the outside one as possible. The two antennas will couple the signal right through the glass.

Suppose a hill or cliff blocks the signal from the city? I have seeen people place a high gain antenna on the hill behind their house, with that antenna wired directly to a second antenna facing down the hill towards their house. Now a third antenna on the rooftop aimed at the second antenna on the hill will let the house "see" over the hill. Neat eh? (Lossy, yes, but workable)
    Humm. So antenna on the inside of the windo and another on the outside lined up exsactly with it?

Also i dident menchon this before but i do have a old antenna on the top of the roof. One of those big ones. It has no motor and just some kind of wire comeing from it about 4ft long. If i under stand what u said corectly i could run a wire from the antenna from it to a T shaped antenna on the out side of a windo and then one on the inside matched right up to it? That could work if the antenna on the roof works or can be fixed or something.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    While we're on the subject, can I combine antennas on a single cable? Will that improve things if one is omnidirectional and the other directional?
    Bad idea. Although two antennas can be sumed to one cable, they have to be same type and pointed in the same direction for added gain. Combining an omnidirectional and directional antenna will introduce noise in the system (noise coming from omnidirectional antenna) and defeat directional capabilty of latter antenna.

Directional antennas will only pick up signal from direction it is pointed to, and reject noise coming from any other directions. By combining both, noise from any other directions will be injected into cable.

Suppose a hill or cliff blocks the signal from the city? I have seeen people place a high gain antenna on the hill behind their house, with that antenna wired directly to a second antenna facing down the hill towards their house. Now a third antenna on the rooftop aimed at the second antenna on the hill will let the house "see" over the hill.
    Sorry, but that will not work. Antenna on the rooftop will not see any signal if signal is blocked by the hill. Antennas will only receive and not transmit (unless it is a transmitter)

Also i dident menchon this before but i do have a old antenna on the top of the roof. One of those big ones. It has no motor and just some kind of wire comeing from it about 4ft long. If i under stand what u said corectly i could run a wire from the antenna from it to a T shaped antenna on the out side of a windo and then one on the inside matched right up to it? That could work if the antenna on the roof works or can be fixed or something.
    Sorry, that will not work. Best solution would be to run a strait line from antenna to your receiver to take advantage of antenna. You may have to get up on the roof to adjust the antenna for best signal and lowest noise

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Sorry, that will not work. Best solution would be to run a strait line from antenna to your receiver to take advantage of antenna. You may have to get up on the roof to adjust the antenna for best signal and lowest noise
    I dont rilly have a way to run a wire into the house.. :-(

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information