Thread: Amp Hum/Noise

Forum Regular

Amp Hum/Noise

Hello,

I have Kenwood KA-8150, about 85W RMS per channel.
    If nothing plays, I can hear hum/noise from half power (-20db) to maximum (0db).

Is it normal or how much is it normal?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by zstoja
    Hello,

If nothing plays, I can hear hum/noise from half power (-20db) to maximum (0db).

First of all, power is logarithmic. It doubles (or halves as the case may be every 3db). A 10 db change is coincidentally a factor of 10. -20 db is 10 times 0.1 or one-hundredth. So you get hum from 0.85 watts to 85 watts. Doesn't sound normal even with a phono input which tend to be noisier.

Try isolating the cause by unhooking other source(s) you may have plugged in. A ground loop can be formed from another source like a tuner or TV. Check for loose or dirty connections. Check for signal wires crossed over or near power wires. Is the power outlet properly grounded?

Good luck!

rw

Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by zstoja
    Hello,

Thank you.
    Is this a receiver? Is this a 60hz hum or a higher hiss type noise?

Is this with a line level source i.e CD or a phono stage as the input, obvoiusly w/o music playing. If it is a phono input it may be normal for the unit. If it is a line level it should be very quiet if it is operating correctly. Do you have more than one 3-prong plug? Is so, try using a "cheater" plug to float the ground on all but one component. Did the noise go away? If it did you had a ground loop and you problem is solved. If not try below.

Unplug all of the input cables to the receiver? Did the hum/noise go away? If not than have the receiver? checked. Plug in one source unit at a time and listen. Does the hum return? With what unit? After all this it may be a bad IC or heaven knows what. One of the hardest things to find is the source of hum in complex systems. Good luck.

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

Forum Regular
    First of all, thank you very much for details.

It is not receiver, just amplifier.

It seems I found reason for hum.
    DVD is connected to VCR, VCR to Amp. If VCR is switched on (no playing), I got the hum. I know that it is not good way to connect units, but it is simple way.

Thank you, again.

Forum Regular
    Just DVD/VCR is direct coonected to AUX.
    If DVD/VCR is on (no playing), there is hiss (midrange and high), not 60Hz (it is very low).
    If DVD/VCR is off, no hiss.
    If I switch to phono (nothing is connected to phono), more hiss than with DVD/VCR on.
    Tuner (nothing to tuner), no hiss.

Again, maybe this is normal?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by risabet
    Unplug all of the input cables to the receiver? Did the hum/noise go away?
    If all cables are unpluged, no hiss on AUX, just for Phono.

During playing nothing is wrong, I mean cannot hear it, too loud.

Thread Information