Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Although I could easily play everything in MC mode I don't. Music that was mixed and mastered to be played back in 2ch mode just sounds better that way. When I play MC sources I use MC in all its glory. MC through 4 ESL's 3 subs and a dedicated room can be very stimulating.
    Amen, brother Joe
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

"Purity" ?? Gimme a break

Quote Originally Posted by michele
    I too enjoy the purity of 2 chanels best. The rest is for effect, nothing more nothing less. (IMHO) And I really never use the NEO:6 option, I don't like it at all.

I am glad you enjoy your new twins! Those seem to be exellent speakers and they just might get even better. (if that is even possible).

Enjoy,
    Michele
    What am I hearing here? "Purity"? Is it that all virtuous, right-thinking, wholesome Christians/Muslims/Hindus/Jews should eschew MC because it's impure, sinful and contrary to family values, kosher laws, and the will of God (or the Gods)? Or is it just a poor choice of words?

Well produce and played back on good system, MC beats 2C every time!
    Last edited by Feanor; 10-27-2006 at 06:28 AM.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

And while I realize...

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    What am I hearing here? "Purity"? Is it that all virtuous, right-thinking, wholesome Christians/Muslims/Hindus/Jews should eschew MC because it's impure, sinful and contrary to family values, kosher laws, and the will of God (or the Gods)? Or is it just a poor choice of words?

...your tongue is planted firmly in cheek, unless you are talking about a real-time recording made with minimal processing and relatively simple Blumlein miking techniques, there really is no such thing as stereo "purity"...

And we've been down this road before, as my erstwhile virual companion jneutron would attest, most recordings are in reality sonic nightmares...with up to 48 individual tracks (each one mono don't forget), possibly recorded at different times and places, the sonic cues contained are hardly pure...couple that with various electronic manipulations and might-as-well-be-random positioning in a "soundstage" of sorts, you have a hodge-podge of misinformation...result: while it may sound pleasant enough, "purity" isn't a word that immediately comes to mind...

jimHJJ(...there, I've said it again...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    What am I hearing here? "Purity"? Is it that all virtuous, right-thinking, wholesome Christians/Muslims/Hindus should eschew MC because it's impure, sinful and contrary to family values and the will of God (or the Gods)? Or is it just a poor choice of words?

Agreed. Though I think this fellow is confusing DSP multi-channel playback with a true MC format.

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    My problem with taking a 5.1 mixed film and watching it in 2.0 is that there is information loss....no doubt about it. You can't possibly watch it without noticing that there is something missing, no matter how great of a 2-channel setup you have. Where is the rest of that infromation going? If it's discrete 5.1 sound than it is getting compressed down into 2 channels or information is just getting lost. Now if the movie contains an option for switching over to 2.0 channels than that's fine with me, but anymore it's usually just 5.1.
    The only actual information loss that occurs during a default 5.1-to-two-channel mixdown is the LFE track, which gets jettisoned in the process. Otherwise, the mixdowns occur at predefined ratios, with the center and surround channels getting folded into the R and L main channels at about 70.7% of their original levels. The information from those channels is still present, but blended into the main channels at a lower level.

Problem with this process is that it does not account for the actual signal content getting sent into the center and surround channels. Soundtracks that mix a lot of the ambient cues into all five channels simultaneously will actually boost those sound effects and drown out the other sound elements that are more anchored into the front soundstage.

If you want to preserve the LFE track or have the mixdowns done somewhat differently than the default, then you'll need to use the virtual surround function on your receiver/processor by switching the channels off in the setup menu.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I listen to more 2-channel music than multi-channel..but I wish I had 3 more of my towers to make a 5.1 system out of those. They're just far better speakers than my home theater monitors.
    Could be the case here, how good would a multichannel setup with 5 Platinum T-6's be? There's just certain things 2 channel cannot do compared to multi-channel.
    Gotta agree with you here. The true benefits of multi-channel are much more prominent with a properly matched system where all five speakers are at a comparable level. I generally prefer to listen to sources the way that they were intended to be heard by the engineer -- i.e., two-channel sources with two speakers, and 5.1 sources with five speakers+the sub. Given a choice between a two-channel and MC soundtrack (like you get with SACD and DVD-A), I generally prefer the MC version (in part due to the spatial cues, and in part due to the frequently better sound quality that results from the 5.1 remix).
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

2 channel lover
    check out my pro for my 2 channel list u might like it im pushin out around a true 5oo watts in total at half volume!!!!! thats bein measured by a wattage in line meter
    I BELONG TO A REAL AUDIO
    FORUM

2 channel lover
    well wit that said i havent heard a (4 channel yuck) sorry bout that sound as good as my 2 channell
    I BELONG TO A REAL AUDIO
    FORUM

Quote Originally Posted by 2325fan
    check out my pro for my 2 channel list u might like it im pushin out around a true 5oo watts in total at half volume!!!!! thats bein measured by a wattage in line meter
    Actually what you are measuring is what you are taking in, not pushin' out. There is no direct relationship between the two. Typical AB amplfiers like the Ampzilla are only about 65% efficient in best case scenarios.

What exactly do you mean by half volume?

rw

Forum Regular
    I think each person has to prioritize just works best for him/her in their listening lifestyle. Myself, I may watch 1 movie per week, so MC is not a very big deal to me. Hate to say it but not many great movies have been made. Maybe....maybe there are 300 excellent movies which have been made. Mind you there is alot of junk out there, but why devote 2 hours of time to...watching junk movies.

Music? Myself I am more of a purist when it come to music. I work mainly at home so music (all kinds) is usually on 60 hours per week. Alot of the time I am doing stuff and don't have the time to orient myself in the "sweetspot". I may play the music loud and the house will shake and sometimes I'll play it low or in the middle. Whatever is my mood and just what I am doing.

For me MC for music is not a benefit. For someone else who is a music MC advocate, it would be, if they were always sitting in the "sweetspot". Personally, for music I think a well powered and tuned 2 ch stereo system is pretty hard for MC to beat, IMHO....for my applications.

I did it !!!!

If you check out the photo gallery section you will see that I have now 2 dedicated listening spots...one for 2-channel audio and the other is still a 5.1 movie-only room. I am completely convinced that 2-channel is the way to go for pure music enjoyment. While I do still dabble in MC, it's really a novelty that has long worn off for me as I have been into MC music for over 5 years now, but with my dedicated 2-channel system I am really concentrating my energy, time, and money into making this system reproduce music the most faithfully.

Right now I am predominately playing with some HDCD's and SACD's on this 2-channel setup and I am really happy with the results. I am experiment with proper placement on the speakers in relation to the room and I am going to invest in room treatments next. I am also on the prowl for a pre-amp, most likely from Parasound. Although I am still thinking of some other ideas, they are: Classe, Plinius, and PS Audio at this point.

The Parasound Halo D3 is a real champ in this setup as well because I am able to configure the player for isolated pure audio, which is quite beneficial when playing SACD's in which this player uses the direct DSD bitstream. I also worked on some vibration control for this unit and the rack, which I have placed some extra support brackets into it and used some thicker bolts to keep it secure. The player rests upon high-grade dense foam, which I customized with some super absorbing foam board, which helps elevate the player and then the legs are sunk into the padding with some DIY rigging. I have found this to be very inexpensive, yet highly effective. I also have a 3lb weight on the player to keep it firm and the player spins like a merry-go-round.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information