Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Ajani
    Guest

    Adam, Congrats on your 1st review on Dagogo!

    Nice review... (I had to check through the staff bios on Dagogo to ensure it was indeed AA from our forums)...

    Anyway I like your emphasis on getting persons to listen to the amp, rather than just suggesting whether they should buy it or not...

    Hopefully, there's lots more to come....

    http://reviews.audioreview.com/blog/...lifier-review/

  2. #2
    Suspended atomicAdam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Oaktown!
    Posts
    1,774
    Thanks!

    It was fun. I should be getting some speakers in soon. And I've got the PSAudio stuff coming up soon.

    Thanks for the props -

    -adam

  3. #3
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Analog Synagogue
    Posts
    4,363
    Wow. I had no idea you'd be reviewing for Dagogo. You're a semi pro reviewer now? Will you still be my friend when you are famous?

    You better give my cables a damn good review.

  4. #4
    Forum Regular audio amateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby

    You better give my cables a damn good review.
    lol that's probably what all the big names tell reviewers when they send them gear to be reviewed

    Any idea when you're gonna have a go at that Cardas IC recipe?
    Next time you're at the post office, perhaps you can ask them to give you a quote on sending stuff to England/France so I can have an idea.
    Last edited by audio amateur; 03-03-2010 at 05:17 AM.

  5. #5
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Analog Synagogue
    Posts
    4,363
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    lol that's probably what all the big names tell reviewers when they send them gear to be reviewed

    Any idea when you're gonna have a go at that Cardas IC recipe?
    Next time you're at the post office, perhaps you can ask them to give you a quote on sending stuff to England/France so I can have an idea.
    Good question. I proabably should give it a go now that the system is settled in. I have been working on something for Adam, which has taken any bit of spare time I have.

  6. #6
    Forum Regular audio amateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Good question. I proabably should give it a go now that the system is settled in. I have been working on something for Adam, which has taken any bit of spare time I have.
    Kool, let me know more about it when you do start.

  7. #7
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    Yes, a nice piece of work

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Nice review... (I had to check through the staff bios on Dagogo to ensure it was indeed AA from our forums)...

    Anyway I like your emphasis on getting persons to listen to the amp, rather than just suggesting whether they should buy it or not...

    Hopefully, there's lots more to come....

    http://reviews.audioreview.com/blog/...lifier-review/
    And congrats to Adam.

    No reflection on Adam's review per se, but I would like to see shoot-out reviews among ICEpower-base amplfiers, of which there are quite a few.

    There is a certain analogy with the OPPO / Lexicon situation, given the components are based mostly on a common component. In the case of ICEpower users too, the various produces typically insist they have made significant additiions or modifications. (The changes seem to be most often the addition of a front-end buffer or ICEpower board changes such as better quality capacitors; I'm not certain, but some might go so far as to bypass the built-in, switching power supply and substitute their own, e.g. linear power supply.) In any case a 2x-3x price range is apparent among the producers' models.

  8. #8
    Ajani
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    And congrats to Adam.

    No reflection on Adam's review per se, but I would like to see shoot-out reviews among ICEpower-base amplfiers, of which there are quite a few.

    There is a certain analogy with the OPPO / Lexicon situation, given the components are based mostly on a common component. In the case of ICEpower users too, the various produces typically insist they have made significant additiions or modifications. (The changes seem to be most often the addition of a front-end buffer or ICEpower board changes such as better quality capacitors; I'm not certain, but some might go so far as to bypass the built-in, switching power supply and substitute their own, e.g. linear power supply.) In any case a 2x-3x price range is apparent among the producers' models.
    Yes that would be a nice 'shoot-out' as I often see those change toted as being substantial (at leas the price differences often are)... Many times sellers of cheaper ICE amps are quick to point out that their amps use the same modules as in the 3x times as expensive XYZ Amp....

  9. #9
    nightflier
    Guest
    Nice review. As a long-time used of class-D amps, I will say that there is a considerable difference between the sound of different manufacturers, and I agree that most of those differences originate from whatever the manufacturers do outside of the chips (for the most part). I've only heard Rowland amps in sub-ideal situations so I can't comment on them, but in my experience the hardest part to get right with class-D is the mid-range and treble extension. This is where most of the sound is, and this is probably why they sound so different between makes. It sounds like the Rowland does this quite well and I may have to give them a listen - at $1500, it's well within my budget and with 200W on tap, they should also be able to do a decent job of driving Magnepans.

    Very nice & fair review, indeed. I hope to read more, especially about the PS Audio stuff. Most of the reviews I've read of class-D gear are by people who don't have a lot of experience with them and that really takes away from the review - too much time is spent comparing it to solid/tube gear (apples to oranges, IMO). When done right, class-D can answer many, if not most, of the shortcomings of the other technologies. It's unfortunate that the technology is still so expensive. If I remember right, the whole point of class-D was to bring costs down, but the little $40 ICE-amps really don't compare and shouldn't be paraded out there as the ambassadors of class-D.

  10. #10
    RGA
    RGA is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,539
    Gee Adam is it a plug to say "nice review"

    I would like to find some time - been real busy to get to the reviews and the writing.

    cheers,

  11. #11
    Suspended atomicAdam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Oaktown!
    Posts
    1,774
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Gee Adam is it a plug to say "nice review"

    I would like to find some time - been real busy to get to the reviews and the writing.

    cheers,
    A plug I can live with. And write up some reviews!

  12. #12
    frenchmon frenchmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    St. Charles Mo
    Posts
    3,271
    Nice review Adam!!!! And I really like what you said here.

    I believe the dichotomy of ‘good’ and ‘bad’ pushes the unique characteristics of components into two pointless extremes that sever no one. I may like or dislike something, but it certainly doesn’t mean you would feel the same way. And more to this point, with a quick switch of an associated component, opinions may radically shift.

    That is one thing the I've come to realize....we can all cater to the sound by adding or subtracting gear to get the sound we all desire. My Rotel in my system may sound different from some other guys system who also has Rotel because of what we pair with the Rotel in our systems...does not make it good or bad, only different....and that is one of the things that make our hobby fun...We get to sculpture our sound like an artist sculptures his clay as a potter. Thanks for that Adam, and keep up the Reviews...can't wait to read your next one.

    frenchmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music


    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

  13. #13
    Suspended atomicAdam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Oaktown!
    Posts
    1,774
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Nice review Adam!!!! And I really like what you said here.

    That is one thing the I've come to realize....we can all cater to the sound by adding or subtracting gear to get the sound we all desire. My Rotel in my system may sound different from some other guys system who also has Rotel because of what we pair with the Rotel in our systems...does not make it good or bad, only different....and that is one of the things that make our hobby fun...We get to sculpture our sound like an artist sculptures his clay as a potter. Thanks for that Adam, and keep up the Reviews...can't wait to read your next one.

    frenchmon
    Thanks frenchmon -

    It took me a couple tries to get that lil bit out in a way that I liked. I'm glad it rings true with you as well.

    And this is something I was thinking about the other night, but I've yet to have time to read the 'what makes a good review' post that has so many comments in it. I wonder, is it better to just review the system as a whole, and 'focus' on the particular equipment in the review? And if so, since that really is what is happening in reviews, no component 'stands alone', how would one do that in a few pages?

  14. #14
    RGA
    RGA is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,539
    I am a proponent of the system review because the entire system is what you hear not one component. As you rightly say you could take the amp out of your system put something else in and the sound could end up sounding worse. But is it the new component at fault or in fact is it much higher resolving and showing up the weakness of the rest of the system. You could then take that component that seems worse in your stereo put it in another and it could sound way better than your first amp you thought was better.

    The trouble for me is that reviewers, myself included, want to give the component the benefit of the doubt and if there are some redeeming qualities we will "fill in" the missing attributes on the assumption that in another system it could work better. And after all - if we are reviewing with the assumption that the product will have a synergy "somewhere" then reviews become like astrology where what is said about one cd player will be said about 12 more and indeed if you don't read the name - reviews often take on that attribute.

    We want to be fair to the manufacturer - certain amps I know sound bad with my speakers so I don't want them here. Some of those amps might actually do a nice job on a speaker like the Gallo 3.5 or KingSound Prince II where my amp might stink it up - at least in terms of power.

    On the other hand if the speaker company doesn't tell you which amps/sources work best with his speaker and the amp I have has enough power and the results are bad - then so be it - the speaker maker by not telling the reviewer or anyone else which amp is best with his gear is saying ALL amps are perfectly compatible.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •