Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    RGA
    Forum Regular

Absolute PROOF than vinyl sounds better than CD

Yes this man did a test and has finally proven without any doubt that Vinyl sounds better than CD

vinyl or cd which sounds better??? - YouTube

Funny. I wonder what vinyl sounds like in a CD player.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael View Post

This may answer your question.

ELP Laser Turntable: about the LT

About the Laser Turntable
    The performance of the Laser Turntable means "No Needle, No Wear ™." The LT features an absolutely contact-free optical pickup system. Play a record thousands of times with no damage to the record. Get the same sparkling sound on the thousandth play as on the first play.

The Laser Turntable allows you to...

Play your Vinyl Records without damaging them.
    Discover great new analog sound in your Vinyl Records.
    Play damaged Records with better results than a needle.
    Have the convenience, control, and safety of playing Vinyl Records just like a modern CD player (the record is contained inside the machine, and with a remote control you can click to play any track while the LT tells you the elapsed & remaining times).
    The Laser Turntable System

Check the link for the rest of the story.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Ajani
    I'm pretty sure Austin Powers already performed that experiment with a CD....

In one aspect they did sound the same. The scratch sound while playing

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael View Post
    ask and you will receive

Vinyl or CD, which sounds better video 2 - YouTube

I'd rather run my own double blind testing. But I always fall down looking for the couch.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    i hate it when someone pokes me in the eyes and then says LISTEN to this.
    ...regards...tr

No thanks.Technically vinyl can't compete. What made CD sound so bad was/is poor recording technique and industry interference to compress and saturate music for a mobile lifestyle. Digital done properly, vinyl can't compete. Of course if I still had all my vinyl from the 60-70s, I might argue differently but listen to a high resolution format of a professionally well done CD and the dynamics, bandwidth, noise floor, ease of use will show advances in technology (while not without fault) have been for the better. And with digital outputs on the pdps, you can take that quality on the road, to the bathroom, fishing, to the moon. I'm not tethered to a vinyl spinner.
    d HC b

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post
    No thanks.Technically vinyl can't compete. What made CD sound so bad was/is poor recording technique and industry interference to compress and saturate music for a mobile lifestyle. Digital done properly, vinyl can't compete. Of course if I still had all my vinyl from the 60-70s, I might argue differently but listen to a high resolution format of a professionally well done CD and the dynamics, bandwidth, noise floor, ease of use will show advances in technology (while not without fault) have been for the better. And with digital outputs on the pdps, you can take that quality on the road, to the bathroom, fishing, to the moon. I'm not tethered to a vinyl spinner.
    It's an old debate, Camper. I agree whith you completely, (and I've got stack of LPs from back in the the day).

You & I just aren't going to win this argument because so many, (seemingly the majority of "audiophiles" nowadays), seem to prefer vinyl and tubes. It's fine that people prefer these techologies -- a matter of taste. It's annoying, though, when they go on to insist that these things are more accurate; too many of them just can't resist trying to justify their preference in this way.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Wow you guys must be a hoot at parties.

Those two guys at a party? Did they even get invited?

" majority of "audiophiles" nowadays), seem to prefer vinyl and tubes"

its because we have attended live events and recognize the the sound of the real thing.
    ...regards...tr

Forum Regular
    Sacd is the issue as far as I can hear. I tape sacds from fm broadcasts,onto my average tape deck ,and get excited about the differences I hear. I'm possibly getting an sacd player, even though it is dying and has limited titles. I have 600 records and listen to them often.

good players are readily available from oppo and the cheap bluray players from sony usually have sacd capability. and still quite a few new titles being released. go for it.
    ...regards...tr

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy View Post
    " majority of "audiophiles" nowadays), seem to prefer vinyl and tubes"

its because we have attended live events and recognize the the sound of the real thing.
    This is what I'm talkin' about.

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy View Post
    good players are readily available from oppo and the cheap bluray players from sony usually have sacd capability. and still quite a few new titles being released. go for it.
    Yes, SACD is far from dead -- at least for classical music.

The OPPOs, especially the BDP-95, and the Marantz SA8004 have been very well reviewed of late. If I were a bit more pecunious I'd go for one of these -- not sure which. The Marantz is purely stereo and might better in my stereo system, (which is higher quality than my HT system).

But multi-channel is a great feature of SACD. And the OPPO is multi-channel; it will output hi-rez PCM via HDMI, and thus all the DSP benefits of my AV receiver would be available, e.g. Audissey EQ.

Personally the best sound quality I've heard (on my stereo) is hi-rez downloads, e.g. the few 24/88.2 that I've downloaded from HD Tracks. Vinyl is a joke compared to these, IMHO.
    Last edited by Feanor; 08-20-2011 at 01:05 PM.

the preference for digital is convenience. rbcd was under-engineered and released in a hurry. digital formats like sacd and dvda make more sense and i have embraced sacd and to a lesser extent---dvda. sacd sound closely approximates analog and i dont argue that vinyl is preferable over sacd but there still is a minute difference which still favors LP (properly executed).

as for tubes, one must be willing to pay a bit more attention to maintenance. ss failure is less forgiving as swapping transistors is way more difficult than tubes. electronics such as audio research and VTL fly in the face of those who state that tubes are soft and rolled off at the extremes.

for those that cannot tolerate the artifacts of vinyl reproduction, digital is the only way to go. for those that need turnkey operation, solid state is the only way for them.

long term listening will reinforce my stance.
    ...regards...tr

hi rez downloads are certainly the wave of the future and i would follow along if the ergonomics were made to be straightforward. but the hassle of current implementations is beyond my desire plus the cost of the hi-rez downloads is nearly prohibitive. way more used LPs in great shape can be purchased for the same money. for those with more expendable incomes than mine, and with more patience, hi-rez download are viable.
    ...regards...tr

Forum Regular
    I'm also limited $. I'm looking at an Oppo 981 used ($80 with 1 day left) and Harman Kardon refurbished dv47and 48 which will probably go for about $80 also,all on ebay. Good idea???????

get the oppo. or a different oppo. the hk may become unfixable one day.
    ...regards...tr

AR Newbie Registered Member
    There is one argument that the vinyl guys cannot win.....Convenience and media preservation. .

Like tubes, vinyl sounds the best the very first time it is played. After that, it is all down hill.

Vinyl should only be played once in a 24 hour time period. More than that, Vinyl deforms beyond elasticity meaning a loss of frequency response and dynamic range.

Another problem was to get an acceptable frequency response, styles manufactures had to decrease the side wall contact with Vinyl grooves. Now, two new problems faced engineers, styles pressure in which 1.5 oz. can translate into several hundred lbs/sq/in, and the second less publicized problem, heat. A heated styles tends to "cut" new grooves.

We do not want to get into problems with harmonic resonance, cartridge mass, linear tracking and styles shatter. These are additional mechanical issues that can fill an entire book.

Despite all the problems with the DAC's, error correction and resolution I will still take a cheap CD player over my Thornes TD 125 with assortment of cartridges.

The only competition would be the ELP laser vinyl "reader". $9000.00 is still a bit much.

you need to get some experience and also-get your facts right.

you make yourself look sillier than you probably are.

robert harley dealt with just this misconception in a recent issue of the absolute sound.
    ...regards...tr

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Tubes do diminish over time so does vinyl - both are overstated.

In fact I am surprised why anti-vinyl types just don't go to this argument. I like vinyl but this would be the best and first and most logical argument against owning vinyl.

"Vinyl has surface noise - at least some of the time there is a pop or crackle or various spurious noise - this noise takes me out of the listening experience and therefore I can not tolerate the sound of vinyl replay."

It really doesn't need to go beyond that argument and it's completely true. The fact that I or other vinyl fans will put up with that is all well and good but if you can't you can't and it's WHOLLY legitimate to make that case - it's fair and I can't see vinylphiles arguing against that point.

Then there is another whole pile of arguments beyond sonics that are all fair points - availability, cost, non user friendliness, ear of both LP but also the needle and cartridge, lack of amount of information. Sure 45 sounds a LOT better than 33 but then you're really getting up to flip the side a LOT. Non portable - I mean the pain in the arse factor of owning a turntable is just astounding. You don't even need to start on noise floor or accuracy claims - the latter is spurious since nothing is accurate and without a 100% accurate device you really can;t knwo what percentage away one is versus another. One speaker may be more accurate on the "average" in terms of frequency response from 20hz to 20khz but what may also be true is that the speaker with an 8db boost at 70hz is more acceptable to the ear than another speaker with a 0.5db boost in the treble band at 4khz - the latter may bug you after awhile while the former the ear compensates for better. So yes the latter is more "accurate" in terms of frequency but far more egregious in the "real world."

One of the reasons I own SS amplification with highish watts - impeccable measurements and a whopping 500 damping factor, A CD player that measures as well as CD players get, a Tube amp, and a turntable. The reason is I can compare back and forth and know exactly what each does well and doesn't do well and which causes me to want to turn the stereo off and which makes me play that extra song even though I am supposed to be someplace.

"Tubes do diminish over time so does vinyl - both are overstated."

LPs-grossly overstated to say the least. kept properly clean and brushed just prior to play, vinyl wear is undetectable for a very long period.

tubes-again, grossly overstated. properly engineered tubed equipment maintains pristine sound for a very long period and when they begin to fail, the tubes can be changed. when transistors go bad, you MUST take them to a service tech (unless you have acquired those skills).

the balance of 1776's post shows much inattention to facts and very little experience. i know of nobody using 1.5 oz of tracking force.
    ...regards...tr

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information