Forum Regular

2 channel audio DAC question.

Hello,
    I've been chasing 2 channel audio perfection for awhile. I'm a big believer in synergy. I am finally very happy with my system. However, there is one element that I think I might be able to improve and I want opinions.
    I am using a NAD C545bee CD player to feed a Benchmark DAC1. I want input regarding whether a better CDP as the transport would improve sound or make no change. I'm considering a REGA Apollo since it has sophisticated error correction functionality. Not a huge investment, but if it makes no diff, why do it... Any feedback appreciated.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxwired
    Hello,
    I've been chasing 2 channel audio perfection for awhile. I'm a big believer in synergy. I am finally very happy with my system. However, there is one element that I think I might be able to improve and I want opinions.
    I am using a NAD C545bee CD player to feed a Benchmark DAC1. I want input regarding whether a better CDP as the transport would improve sound or make no change. I'm considering a REGA Apollo since it has sophisticated error correction functionality. Not a huge investment, but if it makes no diff, why do it... Any feedback appreciated.

The Benchmark is an extremely sophisticated unit, professional quality. I would say in most cases a change in CDP won't necessarily improve your sound, but rather change it. A dac of the Benchmark's stature is the great equalizer. Its upsampling and oversampling capabilities would bring the NAD in close contention with the Rega I would think. The Rega would probably be better appreciated if you were connecting your CDP direct to your amp.

I'm not sure how you personally guage an improvement, but if a change is more to your ear's liking, than I guess it would qualify as an improvement. The bottom line is, the Benchmark will make just about any CDP sound great, it's doubtful any unit you input will sound "bad" or worse than. It would also depend on how sensitive your hearing is to pick up on the subtlties that the Benchmark is capable of.

You have to find the right combo that has a sound you dig.

I would keep the NAD as a transport. Don't waste your money on the Apollo.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I'd have to agree with Blackraven. If there is any difference in sound, it would be very little, and not worth the money. Keep the NAD

Quote Originally Posted by jaxwired
    I want input regarding whether a better CDP as the transport would improve sound or make no change.
    If you do not already use some sort of roller ball isolation devices with the transport, I would go there first.

rw

My thoughts are to go with a good CD player with good DAC's. Save the extra cash that you would have to spend on two different units. External DAC's are not needed in this type of set up, you will most likely not even hear any improvement.
    HT system:
    Marantz SR7001 receiver
    Emotiva UPA-2 Amplifier
    Adcom GDV-870 DVD-A/CD player
    Yamaha S1800 DVD/SACD player
    Panasonic DMP-BD60K blu Ray player
    PSB Image series speakes s/s
    Dayton RSS210HF 8" reference sub
    Hitachi 46" HD projector screen

Suspended
    Read in the description where it begins "Not all digital outputs are created equal". If you aren't using coaxial I'd recommend a switch. NAD paid some special attention to the digital out but it is only the coaxial. The c545 also has a strong bass response so I expect it has a decent power supply. In short, it should make a good transport.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/c...Player/details

Thread Information