Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 10 Must-Have Albums...

10 Must-Have Albums...

Rules are simple:

Pick 10 albums that you think are MUST-HAVE's.

Then, when 3 people have posted the same title, it goes to the master list of the top 10 MUST HAVE's. We can keep this going until we have our first 10 selections...

Here are mine:

Miles Davis KIND OF BLUE (quite obvious)
    Steely Dans AJA (also quite obvious)
    Alan Parsons Project TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION
    The Who TOMMY
    The Smashing Pumpkins MELLON COLLIE & the INFINITE SADNESS
    Rush 2112
    Neil Young HARVEST
    David Bowie ZIGGY STARDUST
    Stevie Wonder INNVERVISIONS
    Depeche Mode VIOLATOR
    MikeG likes this.

I think it's going to be impossible to get 10 reference albums let alone 5 that we can all agree on. And compiling a list of Only ten is like pulling teeth.

My ten Must haves:

Deep Purple- Made in Japan
    Jean-Michel Jarre- Magnetic Fields
    Klaus Schulze 'X'
    Porcupine Tree- Arriving Somewhere
    Ten Years After- Live at the Flimore East
    Iron Butterfly- In-A-Godda-da-Vida
    Mike Oldfield- Tubular Bells III
    Golden Earring- Moontan
    Grand Funk- Caught in the Act
    Emerson Lake & Palmer- Show that Never Ends

Suspended
    My 10 Must-Haves are all albums that had a profound effect on me during my musical career. They are also (for the most part) albums that had a major influence on the music industry in general. I still occasionally spin them to visit Probably Best Left Forgotten memories.

They are, in no particular order:

Aqualung - Jethro Tull
    Tapestry - Carol King
    Hotel California - The Eagles
    Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
    Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
    The Heart of Saturday Night - Tom Waits
    Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
    Harvest - Neil Young
    Thriller - Michael Jackson
    Live at the Beacon Theater - James Taylor
    Last edited by RoyY51; 08-31-2007 at 06:32 PM.

Looks like we have 2 already for HARVEST, so let's keep thing thing rolling...

It's not like we have to pick ONLY 10 to own, but generate 10 that would be worthy of owing and this seems like a cool way to get that list compiled.

I'm gunna post this real quick before it drives my nuts thinking about it....

Van Morrison - Some Blues
    Allman Bros - Dreams
    Alvin Lee - Pure Blues
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    Omar & The Howlers - Hard Times In The Land Of Plenty
    Queen - Jazz
    Joe Cocker - Organic
    Steely Dan - Decade Of
    Chris Rea - Road To Hell
    Cat Stevens - Catch A Bull At Four
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    I'm gunna post this real quick before it drives my nuts thinking about it....

Van Morrison - Some Blues
    Allman Bros - Dreams
    Alvin Lee - Pure Blues
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    Omar & The Howlers - Hard Times In The Land Of Plenty
    Queen - Jazz
    Joe Cocker - Organic
    Steely Dan - Decade Of
    Chris Rea - Road To Hell
    Cat Stevens - Catch A Bull At Four
    Good call on JAZZ.

Mutant from table 9
    Slumpy's jumpin' in to fcuk with the spread:

Okay, I'm leaving out alot of genres like Country, Techno and Funk. Keeping it electric guitar rock oriented. No Greatest Hits or Live records (so no Segar - Live Bullet/Maiden - Live After Death). Also, keep in mind my choices are always a little suspect because of my Disrespect for the Sacred Rock Canon. i.e. I have no Zepplin, Floyd, Nirvana, or the Beatles. And the only Hendrix record I have is Smash Hits.

1. AC/DC - High Voltage or Hiway to Hell (listeners choice )
    - Bon Scott realy was the sh!t and the Young brothers really are that good. Simple doesn't necessarily equate with easy or elementary.

2. Boston - Boston
    - I hate to admit it, but I still listen to this record all the time.

3. The Dandy Warhols - Welcome to the Monkey House.
    - After Kurt Cobain blew his head off, the cure for what was ailing rock music was right there in the form of the Warhols - four people eager to be rockstars and willing to shamelessly and brilliantly rip off the Stones and George Harrison in the process. Problem was that nobody cared.

4. ELO - Out of the Blue
    - In my head, ELO is like what everyone else hears when they are telling me the Beatles were so great. And yes, I know the connection.

5. Green Day - Dookie or American Idiot
    - When Green Day did it once with Dookie, you could still hate on them. When the did it twice with American Idiot, no more hating is allowed. They are the only Multi-Platinum band that I can think of that made a wholly unflinching anti-war record. Does anyone else on a major label remember Rock and Roll?

6. Naked Raygun - Understand? or Jettison
    - Hopefully, one day my son will ask me about Punk Rock. And rather than debating what is or isn't Punk, I will give him my Naked Raygun records and say "This is punk."

7. Oasis - Definately Maybe
    - Fuggetaboutit. They really were bigger than the Beatles, well for two summers at least.

8. The Ramones - Road to Ruin
    - I literally stole my first copy of Road to Ruin after seeing Rock and Roll High School on some saturday afternoon on TV. Mmmmmmmmmm.... stolen Ramones.

9. Social Distortion - Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell
    - For anyone that says "I don't like punk..." This is the record for them.

10. Cindy Lauper - She's So Unusual
    - Listed out of alphabetical order, this record is the antidote to all the CockRock listed above. This record is just stupid good, even after twenty years. Any stodgy best of 50 or 100 records list that doesn't include this album isn't worth the paper its on. If you already have this record, you're cool. If you don't have this record, well, then you have a homework assignment for tommorrow.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    Slumpy's jumpin' in to fcuk with the spread:

Okay, I'm leaving out alot of genres like Country, Techno and Funk. Keeping it electric guitar rock oriented. No Greatest Hits or Live records (so no Segar - Live Bullet/Maiden - Live After Death). Also, keep in mind my choices are always a little suspect because of my Disrespect for the Sacred Rock Canon. i.e. I have no Zepplin, Floyd, Nirvana, or the Beatles. And the only Hendrix record I have is Smash Hits.

1. AC/DC - High Voltage or Hiway to Hell (listeners choice )
    - Bon Scott rely was the sh!t.

2. Boston - Boston
    - I hate to admit it, but I still listen to this record all the time.

3. The Dandy Warhols - Welcome to the Monkey House.
    - After Kurt Cobain blew his head off, the cure for what was ailing rock music was right there in the form of the Warhols - four people eager to be rockstars and willing to shamelessly and brilliantly rip off the Stones and George Harrison in the process. Problem was that nobody cared.

4. ELO - Out of the Blue
    - In my head, ELO is like what everyone else hears when they are telling me the Beatles were so great. And yes, I know the connection.

5. Green Day - Dookie or American Idiot
    - When Green Day did it once with Dookie, you could still hate on them. When the did it twice with American Idiot, no more hating is allowed.

6. Naked Raygun - Understand? or Jettison
    - Hopefully, one day my son will ask me about Punk Rock. And rather than debating what is or isn't Punk, I will give him my Naked Raygun records and say "This is punk."

7. Oasis - Definately Maybe
    - Fuggetaboutit. They really were bigger than the Beatles, well for two summers at least.

8. The Ramones - Road to Ruin
    - I literally stole my first copy of Road to Ruin after seeing Rock and Roll High School on some saturday afternoon on TV. Mmmmmmmmmm.... stolen Ramones.

9. Social Distortion - Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell
    - For anyone that says "I don't like punk..." This is the record for them.

10. Cindy Lauper - She's So Unusual
    - Listed out of alphabetical order, this record is the antidote to all the CockRock listed above. This record is just stupid good, even after twenty years. Any stodgy best of 50 or 100 records list that doesn't include this album isn't worth the paper its on. If you already have this record, you're cool. If you don't have this record, well, then you have a homework assignment for tommorrow.
    Some really great choices there! Great call on the BOSTON bit. I couldn't make up my mind on which ELO I love the most and it was the same for QUEEN.

I think the list is skewed already. I would like to add that I have parts of these albums in my collection. Like I generally buy Best of compilations. So of the albums posted some may qualify already for Must Haves, not my top ten however. Taken to extreme it comes down to most popular and we can find all kinds of Top Lists for that that are laughable.

Okay I'll agree to these albums or best of complations that contain versions of said artist that should be in one's collection.

Rush 2112
    Neil Young- Harvest
    Tapestry- Carol King
    Hotel California- Eagles
    Led Zepellin- Led Zepellin
    Allman Bros.- Dreams
    Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here
    Alvin Lee- Pure Blues
    AC/DC- Back in Black

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Some really great choices there! Great call on the BOSTON bit. I couldn't make up my mind on which ELO I love the most and it was the same for QUEEN.
    You quoted me before I was done editing my post. But thanks. I'm always up for suggesting an alternative, even if just to be contrarian. She's So Unusual is better than Tapestry. The Warhols do Floyd and Lou Reed better than Floyd and Lou Reed do Floyd and Lou Reed. The Eagles are a radio friendly rip off of The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, but with lots more cocaine and wasted money. And, Jim Croce is better than alot of other singer/song writers.

And not to bag on one of you choices (especially after complementing mine), but I'm going to anyway - I've just never gotten Neil Young. Frankly, everytime I hear or read any quote or interview, he just kinda seems like a d!ck. Plus, his whole spate of fcuked up records in the 80's just left me with a question mark next to his name. Oooooo.... yeah, this note is for you Neil... you're so anti-establishment, Neil. People say he was the Godfather of grundge... well, I didn't like Grunge either. (except for Pearl Jam and the first 20 seconds of Soundgarden's Rusty Cage - that intro rocked!)

Oh, and every list so far is wrong (including mine) for failing to include a Springsteen record.

Forum Regular
    LDB

What is that Van Morrison album you list?Not familiar with that one.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Fun Thread.

Psychedelic Furs: Mirror Moves

The Notorious BIG: Ready to Die

Alan Parsons: Tales of Mystery and Imagination

Neil Young: Ragged Glory

Bruce Springateen: Darkness on the Edge of Town.

Simple Minds: Sparkle in the Rain

Jethro Tull: Songs From the Wood

Velvet Underground: Velvet Underground & Nico

Dire Straits: Making Movies

The Beatles: 1967-1970

Neil Young makes the list...

3 votes for HARVEST puts in into the master list. Great choices everyone. I can't believe that I forgot a few like Jethro Tull's MINSTREL IN THE GALLERY, oh well. 2 votes also for 2112 and TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION.

A word on Neil Young...

I can't explain it. This album [HARVEST] just had such a huge impact on me at a young age...not even the best songs on that album ...like most people like Needle and the Damage Done, which is probably my least favorite along with Heart of Gold...my favorites are Alabama, Words, and Out on the Weekend. Just something about these tunes...they just tug on me.

Kate Bush - The Kick Inside
    The Stooges - Funhouse
    The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
    Oingo Boingo - Only A Lad
    Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream/Mellon Collie
    Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman/Teaser and the Firecat
    Dead Can Dance - Aion
    Elliott Smith - XO
    Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
    Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair

Someone else needs to vote for Funhouse, that one always puts me in the greatest mood

A word on Neil Young...

I can't explain it. This album [HARVEST] just had such a huge impact on me at a young age...not even the best songs on that album ...like most people like Needle and the Damage Done, which is probably my least favorite along with Heart of Gold...my favorites are Alabama, Words, and Out on the Weekend. Just something about these tunes...they just tug on me.

Neil young is probably most versatile artist alive. He can go from mellow slow country to a screeching guitar work sound.

The album Rust Never Sleeps might be a good example of such a diversity. From slow acoustic sound of My My Hay Hay (Out Of The Blue) song, to guitar over loading sound of He Hey, My My (Into the Black).

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Neil young is probably most versatile artist alive. He can go from mellow slow country to a screeching guitar work sound.

The album Rust Never Sleeps might be a good example of such a diversity. From slow acoustic sound of My My Hay Hay (Out Of The Blue) song, to guitar over loading sound of He Hey, My My (Into the Black).
    It's definitely a good bookend idea...although where I come from he isn't talking about HAY.

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by DaHaq
    The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
    Good choice. This was on my list, but I edited it out. The recording on that record seems to be really subpar. Almost like someone fcuked up at the mastering studio. Went with Oasis instead. Another bad recording, but not as bad.

And as to Neil Young. I know he has a lot of appeal. I don't question his skill. I do like Heart of Gold. If it comes on the radio I won't turn it off. He does get some credit in my book b/c of his work with Pearl Jam. If they like him, then he can't be all bad.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    In no particular order but from my collection this are the ones I always drift to......

Jackson Browne-Running on Empty
    Genesis- And then there were three
    Bruce Springsteen- Darkness at the Edge of Town
    Jonathan Edwards-Jonathan Edwards
    Tom Waits-Closing Time
    REM-Murmur
    Pearl Jam-Ten
    Dire Straits-Brothers in Arms
    Alison Krause + Union Station-Live
    Beatles- Revolver

With nods also to Jimmy Buffet's - Changes in Attitudes Changes in Latitudes and anything by Copeland-Mozart or Handel (if ain't Baroque don't mix it)

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Ok, I'll play:

1) Rush - 2112 (edit: had Moving Pictures here by accident)
    2) John Coltrane - Blue Train
    3) Pink Floyd -DSOTM
    4) Beethoven's 5th (and if it's Kleiber's I get the 7th for free!)
    5) Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    6) B.B. King - Live at the Regal
    7) Yes - Fragile
    8) Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory
    9) Holst -The Planets
    10) Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile

Cool

Let the old fart jump in

1. Kinda Blue

2.pretenders- learning to crawl

3.Rickie lee Jones self titled (used to be REQUIRED)

4. Stones- EXILE ON MAIN ST

5.Doors - LA woman

6. Led Zeppelin-Stairway to heaven

7. Fleetwood Mac- Rumours

8. bOB jAMES- Bob James 4

9. Getz and Gilberto- Girl from Ipanema (desert Island release)

10. Pink Floyd- Dark Side Of THE Moon (putting your schizoprenia to work for you)

There was a time when everywhere you went , Rickie Lee Jones, it was a great way to show off your system, the original master recording (album) is to die for.
    And Peruvian likes Neil Young? Hope for you yet
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Nice post, PS

Rules are simple:

Pick 10 albums that you think are MUST-HAVE's.

Then, when 3 people have posted the same title, it goes to the master list of the top 10 MUST HAVE's. We can keep this going until we have our first 10 selections...

As a person who's 95% classical, 4% jazz, and 1% anything else, it's difficult to jump in to say anything intelligent. Nevertheless lack of anything to say has never really been a deterent for me.

I do have a minute jazz collection; a few I like especially are:
    • Miles Davis,Kind of Blue -- rather obvious for sure
    • Miles Davis, Round About Midnight
    • Charles Mingus, Mingus Ah Um
    • Bill Evans, Sunday at the Village Vangard
    • Herbie Hancock, Maiden Voyage
    • John Coltrane, Blue Train
    • Dave Brubeck, Time Out
    • Sonny Rollins, A Night at the Village Vanguard
    • Wynton Marsalis, Black Codes (From theUnderground)
    • Vince Guaraldi, Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus
    As for classical: Kex, good call on Kleiber's Beethoven 5th, but the problem here is that the great works have dozens, even hundreds of performances and choosing ten recordings as "top" is ridiculous.

See my list of core classical works ...
    http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/CoreClassical.htm

Suspended
    1. Patti Smith: Horses.
    2. Jimi Hendrix: Electric Lady Land.
    3. Neil Young: Harvest (For Words).
    4. The Beatles: The White album.
    5. Led Zeppelin: 4th album.
    6. Yes: Close to the Edge.
    7. Genesis: Wind & Wuthering.
    8. Jethro Tull: Warchild.
    9. Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon.
    10. Allman Brothers Band: Eat a Peach.
    This list is the same as my "Dessert Island Top 10" list except I have to sub a Beatles album with Harvest because I agree that it was one of Neil's best, and he is and was a very important contributor to the rock-n-roll genre.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    As for classical: Kex, good call on Kleiber's Beethoven 5th, but the problem here is that the great works have dozens, even hundreds of performances and choosing ten recordings as "top" is ridiculous.
    See my list of core classical works ...
    http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/CoreClassical.htm
    Pfffftt....says you...
    Seriously...you're right. I just picked the ones I owned - and even some bad versions of these works would be welcome if I can only have 10.
    Last edited by kexodusc; 09-01-2007 at 06:55 AM.

It's tough to keep this to just ten. Here are my picks though.

1 - ELP - Brain Salad Surgery.
    2 - Kansas - Leftoverature.
    3 - Rush - Moving Pictures.
    4 - Yes - Fragile
    5 - Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here.
    6 - Rush - Caress of Steel.
    7 - Yes - Close to the Edge.
    8 - Rush - 2112.
    9 - Pink Floyd - Animals.
    10 - Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo.

Honerable mentions:

11 - AC/DC - Back in Black.
    12 - Fleetwood Mac - Rumours.
    13 - Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon.
    14- Spira Gyra - Fast Forward.
    15 - Boston - Boston.
    16 - Eagles - Hotel Cal.
    17 - Genesis - And then there were Three.
    18 - Rush - Rush
    19 - Rush - Fly By Night.
    20 - Rush - A Farewell to Kings.

21 - Yes - Tormatto.
    22 - Pink Floyd - The Wall.

Geez, this just goes on and on. I quit.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Classic Thread, PS!

1. Joe Puma - - Shining Hour
    2. Grant Green – Idle Moment
    3. Mobley’s 2nd Message
    4. Nina Simone – Forbin Fruit
    5. Leon Thomas – Live in Berlin
    6. Sonny Stitt – Now!!
    7. Jazzmatazz Vol. 1
    8. King Crimson – Lizzard
    9. Pete Townshend & Ronnie Lane - Rough Mix.
    For the last one... I have to pick the one that's been mentioned numerous times.... Close to the Edge!!

I wanted to choose bobstick's summer comp, but I dont think he plans to have it pressed on vinyl...huh huh? C'mon BOBBY!!!

JRA

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information