Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu

Frank Zappa - Thingfish

Renaissance - Scheherazade & Other Stories

The Beatles - Abbey Road
  • 09-08-2009, 02:15 AM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Gireyev
    That's funny that you say that. As a youngster I enjoyed a lot of music in English even though I could not speak a word of it, until I turned 16 and we came to this country. Now that I know what those lyrics were about I so miss those days of old when I had no idea .....
    In Russia lyrics were written by actual poets and music was composed by actual composers. The performers were just that, performers. Everyone played to their strengths and the results were quite spectacular. I'm still looking for something even remotely poetic in the English language, from either side of the Pond.
    Anyway, no he does not have anything in English, save the single he did with Sting. He is very much a Flamenco artist and the tradition of it would not allow him to do something that brazen. I think it would be considered a betrayal of sorts. You know what I mean?
    Also bear in mind that the amount of singing in his material is, I don't want to say minimal, but rather measured. The vocals are used as instruments more so, rather than a traditional lead for the "band" role they usually play.

Like you I don't really speak a word of Spanish let alone the Andaluz dialect that so dominates Flamenco. But I actually like it that way. :) Makes me focus on the music and prevents the potential disappointment upon discovering what the words actually say. :)

Rudy

Edit: Just a note, he doesn't actually sing on any of his albums he has two regular singers "Cantaors" that have been with him since his first album "De mi Corazon al Aire" that do the job quite admirably. One of those singers Potito has become quite famous is his own right in the Flamenco world.

Thank you for the insightful information. I do enjoy Santana very much and some of his songs are not in English. You may have a point also. Some of todays music is so bad lyrically that I wish I could mute it.
  • 09-08-2009, 05:02 PM
    salad 419
    Well some of these are in constant rotation

Frank Zappa - Roxy and Elsewhere
    Tool - Aenima
    Phish - Picture of Nectar
    Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies - Magnolia
    Big Ass Truck - Who Let You In Here
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    Stevie Wonder - Inner Visions
    Miles Davis - Live at Filmore East
    Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage
    Mahuvishnu Orchestra - The Lost Trident Sessions

WHO said Thing Fish??? I love that album. Hell, I could do a top 10 Zappa list and not include all of the albums I'd want on here. I just tried to mix it up a little bit.
  • 09-13-2009, 10:05 AM
    hifitommy
    nice try but i cant see full agreement on any ten
    but here are mine:

1. osamu-self titled-VERY rare and NOT on cd-japanese fusion for lack of a better term.

2. dire straits-love over gold-great tunes and playing, wowee dynamics.

3. moussorgsky's pictures at an exhibition-tomita-a nearly visual presentation; lorin maazel and the cleveland orchestra on telarc-quintessentioal performance, tempos right on the money, and VERY powerful, especially in the great gate of kiev finale.

4. miles davis-tutu-his best after the hiatus. he and marcus miller do a classic treatment to new music. another one to get if you can find it is 'siesta' which is a little like sketches.

5. little feat-last record album-loong distance love is my fave but the rest is fine as well.

6. bela fleck and the flecktones-flight of the cosmic hippo-title cut is a fantastic demo cut and example of electric bass playing by victor wooten. set up your sub using this and it will be just right.

7. zubin mehta and the LA phil-holst's the planets suite-perhaps the best planets of them all performance and recording wise. until recently, i didnt know it was heavily multimiked, a fact that eludes you in the listening. powerful, beuatiful, lyrical, and i never tire of it. the LP is the best, xrcd next (although i havent heard an sacd which may not even exist anyway).

8. robbie robertson-eponymous-daniel lanois produced, therefore juicy as hell, great rock and roll, well delivered and recorded. again the LP is best, cd pretty good too.

9. oliver nelson-the blues and the abstract truth-what a personnel lineup! stolen moments is worth the price of admission. i only have a digitally mastered reissue vinyl but have heard the LP (really good).

10. andreas vollenweider-caverna magica-got the cd first, pretty good, then the LP-MUCH better graphics and the sound is likewise. very spacious.

of course there are MANY more such as sergio mendes and brasil 66-primal roots- a very un-brasil 66 like album. more like REAL brasilian music, and hard to get as well.

as you can guess, i am mostly in the vinyl mode but much music is only available on cd, and some only on LP.
  • 09-13-2009, 11:04 AM
    recoveryone
    1. Talking Book...Stevie Wonder First Break from the Motown doo Wop sound

2. Songs In the Key of life...Stevie Wonder The full growth of the last 2 albums (Innervison & Fulfillingness First Finale)

3.Mothership Connections...Parliament Let me add the single "Chocolate City" and call me Starchild.

4. Headhunters...Herbbie Hancock Pure funk fusion with Jazz

5. Led Zeppelin IV...Led Zeppelin Has there been any better since?

6. Framptom comes Alive...Peter Framptom Intro of adult soft rock

7. Aja...Steely Dan Just simply smooth Donald ***en solo album Nightfly could be mention here too.

8. School Days...Stanley Clark

9.Best of Sade...Sade Brought sexy to Jazz ballads

10. Lets get it on & I want you...Marvin Gaye You can just include his full body of work.
  • 09-13-2009, 11:15 AM
    hifitommy
    stanley clarke
    journey to love. not only is the music very good, the cut 'silly putty' is a great demo of enormous bass which i first heard on stacked advents driven by a phase linear 700II with the grill cloths LEAPING.

i had heard this sound that couldnt be ignored from another demo room at pacific stereo on topanga cyn blvd and then i saw the "stupid human trick/don't try this at home" demo being conducted in the high end room.

but listen to the rest of the album, you wont be sorry:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:jzfwxqtgldse
  • 09-13-2009, 04:53 PM
    JoeE SP9
    Here's my list of the 10 must have recordings.

01. Miles Davis Kind Of Blue
    02. The Allman Brothers Band Live At Filmore East
    03. Donald F*gen The Nightfly (I'm a victim of censorship)
    04. The Doobie Brothers Minute By Minute
    05. The Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers
    06. Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus
    07. Sade Diamond Life
    08. Paul Simon Graceland
    09. Frank Sinatra Live At The Sands with Count Basie
    10. The Beatles Abbey Road

These are 10 CD/LP's that I think everyone should own. They are all from groups or individuals with staying power. The all consist of music that will still sound just as fresh 20 years from now. A couple have demo quality sound.
  • 09-13-2009, 11:30 PM
    hifitommy
    don't worry, in yiddish it would be ...
    fegelleh. GOY VEY!
  • 09-14-2009, 03:08 AM
    poppachubby
    Just wondering if anyone is managing this thread. Do we have a count?
  • 09-14-2009, 06:52 AM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Just wondering if anyone is managing this thread. Do we have a count?

Cumulative count or common responses?

rw
  • 09-20-2009, 07:59 AM
    hifitommy
    anyone is managing this thread
    my choices are the best ones, you can stop there. ;^)
  • 09-23-2009, 11:27 AM
    mijs
    Quadrophenia - The Who
    Allman Bros Fillmore East
    If I could only Remember My Name - David Crosby (Amazing album if you've never heard
    it. Lots of heavy hitters - J. Garcia, Grace Slick, Joni Mithcell,...very
    organic album)

Hejira - Joni Mitchell
    Wish You Were Here - PF
    Kid A - Radiohead
    Dire Straits - DS
    Joe's Garage - FZ
    Bach Keyboard Concertos
    Six Wives of Henry VIII - Rick Wakeman
  • 09-24-2009, 01:02 PM
    rob_a
    Re:
    There are so many good albums in this world. In no way am I saying my picks are better than anyone else’s. These are albums I have listened to over the years and I think they’re worth a mention.

1. Pink Floyd - Darks Side of the Moon
    2. U2- The Joshua Tree
    3. Pearl Jam – Ten
    4. Stevie Ray Vaughn – Greatest Hits
    5. Led Zeppelin – IV
    6. The Eagles – Hell freezes over (live)
    7. The Beach Boys – Pet Sounds
    8. Radio head – the Bends
    9. Dave Matthews band – Crash
    10. Royal Crown Revue – Mugzy’s Move
  • 09-24-2009, 01:56 PM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

9. oliver nelson-the blues and the abstract truth-what a personnel lineup! stolen moments is worth the price of admission. i only have a digitally mastered reissue vinyl but have heard the LP (really good).
    I agree....I have a CD copy of the album.
  • 09-24-2009, 03:31 PM
    Auricauricle
    Sure, I'll play...

In no particular order, I will go for:

10) Brand-X: Moroccon Roll. Great extemporization and passion. Much nonsense and consequence. I love every minute of it!

9) Beethoven: Symphony 9. God, Beethoven and me on a mountain top. I'm there!

8) Orff: Carmina Burana. The flesh is spirit, the spirit flesh. Where's my sandwich?

7) Freddy Hubbard: First Light. M-m-m! Oh, yeah....

6) Miles Davis: Simply Blue. A perfect jazz session if there was one! Spoooooky!

5) Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon. The apex.

4) Beethoven: Piano Concerto no. 5 (The Emperor [V. Ashkenazi]) It's all there.

3) Offenbach: The Tales of Hoffman (Beverly Sills et al.) We humans!

2) Vangelis: China. Ahh, the Tao...The Himalayas...I'm there....

1) Roger Daltry: Live at Carneigie Hall. Sometimes, you just have to rock and roll....
  • 09-24-2009, 03:54 PM
    gimmieshelter31
    Mine are:

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
    Yes - The Yes Album
    Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
    Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark
    The Band - Music From Big Pink
    Beatles - Abbey Road
    The Black Crowes - The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion
    James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
    Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus
    AC/DC - High Voltage
  • 10-01-2009, 12:43 PM
    Jim Clark
    It's nice to see some of the more interesting pics although I'm not sure why anyone would consider anything by the Doobie Brothers essential unless they just happen to love the Doobies. Nothing wrong with that, but essential? Yeah, I got crap like that on my list too : )

Also came across some pretty thoughtful selections ie. Radiohead. I like the obvious choices ie. KOB and the going out on a limb picks ie. Talking Heads. I tried to make sure my list contained most of these elements, crap, thoughtful and obvious. Which is which is up to the individual listener.

no order except for the first!

The Clash - London Calling. Seriously, not on anyone's list? Wow.
    Ramones - Self titled. I saw Road to Ruin listed earlier - cool
    Elvis Presley - Self Titled. Seems obvious to me- guess it's not : (
    Brubeck - Time Out. I don't even enjoy Jazz but this and the next pick are obvious even to me.
    Miles Davis - KOB
    Joy Division - Closer Guess old punk rockers are in short supply and post punk rockers are non-existent around here Pretty hard to deny the impact of this band and the music they continue to influence though. Plus it's just freakin' brilliant.
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
    REM - Murmur
    Paul Simon - Graceland
    Alan Parsons Project - I Robot prog rock that wasn't obviously prog (attractive women actually liked it for example) and at the same time synth pop that wasn't just weird electronic noodling.

Honorable mention to Bob Marley. Probably could have sacrificed Fleetwood Mac. In retrospect Marley would be easier to defend : )

Thanks to everyone for their lists.
  • 04-07-2011, 10:46 AM
    bobsticks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dingus
    The Cars - "Candy O"

Aw, what's wrong Ric?...why the long face?

http://images.starpulse.com/pictures...SDW-000865.jpg
  • 04-07-2011, 12:49 PM
    SlumpBuster
    At least Ric is putting Phil Spector's wig collection to good use while he is locked up.

And in related news:

http://www.wallpaperremix.com/Celebr...orizkova-8.JPG
  • 04-07-2011, 01:00 PM
    dingus
    it was interesting to review my 10 picks from a few years ago. today i would only make one change, substituting Elton John's "Honky Chateau" with"Tumbleweed Connection".
  • 04-07-2011, 03:04 PM
    hifitommy
    auicleX2:

2) Vangelis: China. Ahh, the Tao...The Himalayas.

pretty nice, all that outdoor recording. i've never seen anybody else mention this double album.
  • 05-02-2011, 12:55 PM
    cyto
    Here are mine:

Pink Floyd-WYWH
    ELP-Brain Salad Surgery
    Deep Purple-Machine Head
    Black Sabbath-Paranoid
    Jimi Hendrix-Electric Ladyland
    Carol King-Tapestry
    Elton John-Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    ACDC-Back in Black
    Alice Cooper-Billion Dollar Babies
    Rush-2112

Not in any order
  • 06-09-2011, 02:41 PM
    Florian
    My top ten (Not in that particular order, except for all Floyds... should be on top)

1. Roger Waters - The final cut
    2. Pink Floyd - The Wall
    3. Dimitri Shostakovich - Symphony Nr. 8
    4. Tchaikovski - 1812 on Telarc
    5. The Doors - LA Women
    6. The Rocky Horror picture show
    7. John Lennon - Imagine
    8. MJ - Thriller
    9. Meat Loaf - Bat out of Hell 1
    10. Frank Zappa - Beat the Boots
  • 06-09-2011, 07:28 PM
    winston
    so many music, so little time "I'll just stay with the jazz. the top of my lists would be "playboy's jazz "jazz after dark (II) this is a combination of emotion,relaxation, and romance jazz, this compilation was produce by Rick Phillips and Joe Tarantino great stuff.

Karrin Allyson, ballads remembering John Coltrane (2)
    Michael Brecker, the nearness of you-- the ballad book (3)
    Charles Lloyd, the water is wide (4)
    Patrica Barber, modern cool (5)
    Patrica Barber, (live) a fortnight in France (6)
    Wynton Marsalis-marsalis standard time vol.1 (7)
    Terence Blanchard, lets get loss (8)
    Buddy Rich, (giant steps) the great performers features Lionel Hampton (9)
    I called number (10) a Jazz/rock, Carlos Santana, (1978 Inner secrets)
  • 06-09-2011, 07:59 PM
    jonnyhambone
    caveat: I'm answering the OP question - these aren't my ten faves or desert island lp's or whatev...though I love them all - they're the ten lp's that anyone who's into rock music should have or at least have listened to a substantial amount of spins...imo, and in no order...
    * Sonic Youth - Sister
    * Yes - Close to the Edge
    * Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    * Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    * Steely Dan - Aja
    * Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground
    * REM - Murmur
    * The Beatles - Abbey Road ?!...or...
    * The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street
    * The Minutemen - Double Nickles on the Dime
    * Neil Young - Tonight's the Night
  • 06-10-2011, 12:42 PM
    pixelthis
    1 Attachment(s)
    Pink FLOYD ...DSOTM
    Stones... Exile on main street
    BLOOD, SWEAT, TEARS...best
    Jagged little pill, Alanis
    SURFACING Sarah MAC
    Tiger Lilly Natilie Merchant
    Practical Dreamer...BENOIT
    Anything by...JEWEL
    iVAN LINZ greatest hits
    Ella Fitzerald songbook
    Anything by...Chairman of the board(old blue eyes)
    GETZ and Gilberto...ballads and BOSSANOVA

Of course trying to limit the vast selection of music that has been
    created is futile...fun to do, tho.:1:
  • 06-16-2011, 01:00 PM
    TheSmartIdiot95
    My top 10 albums are:

1. Eagles - Hotel California
    2. AC/DC - High Voltage
    3. Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive!
    4. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Second Helping
    5. Van Halen - Van Halen
    6. Joe Walsh - Rocky Mountain Way
    7. Journey - Escape
    8. Bob Seger - Back In '72
    9. Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell
    10. Don Henley - Building the Perfect Beast
  • 06-16-2011, 02:11 PM
    frenchmon
    I've been thinking about this and I just cant name a top #10 albums or a top #1 album. So much music out there and the good stuff really moves me emotionally to the same place....and what gets into my soul is all number 1 I suppose.
  • 06-19-2011, 09:03 AM
    YBArcam
  • 06-20-2011, 06:34 AM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by YBArcam View Post

Hey YBA...i've noticed your signature. Did the Castle win out over the Tannoy? And also, I've noticed in one of your postings you may upgrade your TT. You already have the 2.2, so don't count out MH.

While I've listened to a friends Rega P3 which sounds really good, I still decided to go with the mmf-7.1 which is out standing as well. My reasoning was if I was able to get such good high level performance from the mmf-2.1 what kinda performance can I get from jumping up to the mmf-7.1 and boy amI glad I did. This thing is off the chain and I still have the same entry level cart on it that I had on my 2.1...so getting a better cart is going to interesting. So if you have a chance to listen to the 7.1 try it out.
  • 06-21-2011, 07:59 PM
    YBArcam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Hey YBA...i've noticed your signature. Did the Castle win out over the Tannoy? And also, I've noticed in one of your postings you may upgrade your TT. You already have the 2.2, so don't count out MH.

While I've listened to a friends Rega P3 which sounds really good, I still decided to go with the mmf-7.1 which is out standing as well. My reasoning was if I was able to get such good high level performance from the mmf-2.1 what kinda performance can I get from jumping up to the mmf-7.1 and boy amI glad I did. This thing is off the chain and I still have the same entry level cart on it that I had on my 2.1...so getting a better cart is going to interesting. So if you have a chance to listen to the 7.1 try it out.

Hi frenchmon,

Yes, the Castle won out. I should post new pics - I've reorganized my room, with the system now more of a focal point. It has it's own wall now and looks pretty sweet.

On the turntable front, I actually sold my 2.2 to a friend at work and bought a used LP12!! Got a good deal on one locally, made in the late 80's and in real nice shape. Couldn't pass it up as I've always wanted this table. Besides, I figure it'll hold it's value pretty well, so the downside risk isn't very big. Right now I've also got a cheap cart that belongs to the seller. He's letting me use it for a while, but I'll have to return it and buy my own soon. The LP12 is a very nice upgrade on the 2.2 with an entry level Grado cart. I expect another bump up in performance when I can finally fit it with something nicer. Nothing too crazy, maybe a Linn Adikt or something in that range.
  • 06-22-2011, 05:14 AM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by YBArcam View Post
    Hi frenchmon,

Yes, the Castle won out. I should post new pics - I've reorganized my room, with the system now more of a focal point. It has it's own wall now and looks pretty sweet.

On the turntable front, I actually sold my 2.2 to a friend at work and bought a used LP12!! Got a good deal on one locally, made in the late 80's and in real nice shape. Couldn't pass it up as I've always wanted this table. Besides, I figure it'll hold it's value pretty well, so the downside risk isn't very big. Right now I've also got a cheap cart that belongs to the seller. He's letting me use it for a while, but I'll have to return it and buy my own soon. The LP12 is a very nice upgrade on the 2.2 with an entry level Grado cart. I expect another bump up in performance when I can finally fit it with something nicer. Nothing too crazy, maybe a Linn Adikt or something in that range.

Yeah man you gotta get pictures up...and don't forget to post pictures of your new LP12 in the analogue section where the pictures of the decks are located. What arm do you have on that table? Is it a 9c or 9cc or someting else? And what cart do you have in mind? I am happy you are enjoying your music.

What did you like about the Castles over the Tannoy? All you speakers looked nice, but I guess it came down to system matching.

frenchmon.
  • 06-22-2011, 06:44 PM
    YBArcam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Yeah man you gotta get pictures up...and don't forget to post pictures of your new LP12 in the analogue section where the pictures of the decks are located. What arm do you have on that table? Is it a 9c or 9cc or someting else? And what cart do you have in mind? I am happy you are enjoying your music.

What did you like about the Castles over the Tannoy? All you speakers looked nice, but I guess it came down to system matching.

frenchmon.

Don't want to get too much into it here, as this thread is for something else. After this I'll find another thread to post in.

The arm is a Linn Ittok. A pretty well regarded arm. The table, from what I've been told, is all original. A lot of LP12 tables have been worked on or upgraded, so I felt getting an original was another plus. I may eventually do some of the Linn upgrades but I've no plans to do so right now.

In terms of the speakers, the Avon has greater clarity and separation of instruments than did the Tannoy. The tweeter is one of the best I've heard personally. The speakers do a great job disappearing and put forth a very cohesive sound. They sound quick and I guess due to Castle's great build quality also avoid cabinet resonances. I've heard some floorstanders that don't sound as clear as monitors. These are pretty darned close. On the minus side (no speaker at this price is perfect) I'd say they lack a little in excitement and drive. A common criticism of Castle. Bass might also be a little fuller than I'd like. I think I'm learning that I prefer a leaner sound (not too lean of course!).
  • 07-11-2011, 06:51 AM
    Ry Manchu
    Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
    Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
    The Band - The Band
    The Band - Music from Big Pink
    Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
    Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced
    Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold as Love
    Led Zeppelin - II
    Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
    Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
    Eagles - Hotel California
    Talking Heads - Remain in Light
    The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta
    The Police - Synchronicity
    The Police - Outlandos D'Amour
    The Cars - The Cars
    The Cars - Candy-O
    AC/DC - Back in Black
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    Supertramp - Breakfast in America
    Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
    Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard
    Derek and the Dominos
    Van Halen - Van Halen
    Van Halen - 1984
    The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
    The Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed
    The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet
    The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
    Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood
    Pink Floyd - Animals
    Pink Floyd - Meddle
    Tool - Aenima
    Tool - Undertow
    Metallica - Master of Puppets
    Metallica - Ride the Lightning
    Metallica - And Justice for All
    Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
    Iron Maiden - Powerslave
    Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
    Iron Maiden - Killers
    Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
    Dio - Holy Diver
    Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
    Megadeth - Rust in Peace
    Megadeth - So Far, So Good...So What!
    Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction
    Megadeth - Killing is My Business...and Business is Good
    Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
    Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
    Soundgarden - Superunknown
    Jane's Addiction - Nothing Shocking
    The Cult - Sonic Temple
    The Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker
    Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation
    Aerosmith - Pump
    Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
    Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
    The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    Bryan Adams - Reckless
    Heart - Heart
    Whitesnake - Whitesnake
    Scorpions - Love At First Sting
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - (pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd)
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    Pearl Jam - Ten
    Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
    Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
    Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman
    Def Leppard - Pyromania
    Def Leppard - Hysteria
    Ratt - Out of the Cellar
    Rush - Moving Pictures
  • 07-11-2011, 06:58 AM
    Ry Manchu
    If I had to narrow:

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
    The Band - Music from Big Pink
    Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
    Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
    Eagles - Hotel California
    Talking Heads - Remain in Light
    The Police - Synchronicity
    AC/DC - Back in Black
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
    Derek and the Dominos
    Van Halen - Van Halen
    The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
    Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood
    Pink Floyd - Animals
    Tool - Aenima
    Metallica - Master of Puppets
    Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
    Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
    Megadeth - Rust in Peace
    Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
    The Cult - Sonic Temple
    Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation
    Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
    The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - (pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd)
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    Pearl Jam - Ten
    Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
    Def Leppard - Pyromania
    Rush - Moving Pictures
  • 07-11-2011, 07:51 AM
    the hand of boredom
    Here's my list
    At 33 years of age and never really followed rock you might find my selections a bit off but here goes:

1. Oscar Peterson Trio - We Get Requests; OPT at it's finest, and the remastering by Verve is second to none
    2. Gregory Isaacs - More Gregory; a really hard to find issue but all his best cuts backed the The Roots Radics band
    3. Bob Marley - Legend; the remastered is suberb, the music ain't bad either
    4. AC/DC - Back In Black; can listen to this all day
    5. Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - In IZ World; the gentle hawai'ian's works remixed, most of the tracks are just he and the uke
    6. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours, is one of my fiancee's favorites, it gets a bit of airtime on the system
    7. Sir Charles Makerras - Mozart's 25/28/29 Symphony; my first classical cd, great recording with great intimacy and pace
    8. Jack Johnson - On & On; most here may find him too mellow, but the MUSIC is incredible and engaging if you really pay attention, Bernie Grundman did a great job at mastering this album
    9. Bobby McFerrin - Best Of - superbly recorded, mixed, mastered
    10. Depeche Mode - Violator; greatest album from the band; DM got me into music, this was one of the first albums I ever bought.
  • 07-11-2011, 03:03 PM
    vintage_or_bust
    Pink Floyd - Darkside of the Moon

this must be included
  • 07-12-2011, 01:35 AM
    BallinWithNash
    Matchbox Twenty - Mad Season
    Taylor Swift - Speak Now
    Shinedown - Leave a Whisper
    Orianthi - Believe
    KISS - Alive 1
    Pearl Jam - Ten
    U2 - How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
    Red Hot Chili Pepper - Stadium Arcadium
    Def Leppard - High N Dry
    3 Doors Down - The Better Life
  • 07-12-2011, 10:42 AM
    marlonrom
    Part of my ten must have albums
    Masami Nakagawa JVC JD3311 Touch of Spring
    Gary Burton & the Berklee All-Stars JVC JD3301
    Mikio Masuda JVC JD3313 Smokin' Night
    Malta JVC JD3310 Obsession
    Joe Gallardo Latino Blue Inak 853CD
    The John Dentz Reunion Band RT RT3004
    Eugene Cicero Nippin Columbia CD35C38-7327
    Jau Hoggard GRP D-9516 Days Like These
    Wayne Bedrosian PR-CD7003 Jazzical Class
    Mal Waldron King Records Japan CDK38Y6004 You and the Night and the Music

Hello Everyone. I am looking for a laser pickup unit for my vintage Yamaha CD 1 player. Anyone keeping a spare in his or her locked box please advise let me hear your price. Thanks
  • 07-12-2011, 10:52 AM
    marlonrom
    Few female vocalist a must have for the enthusiast:
    1. Opie Bellas
    2. Irene Altman
    3. Sarah Morrau
    4. Ilona Knofler
    5. Emi Fujita
    6. Corrinne May
    7. Jacqui Dankworth
    8. Yvette Steuart
    9. Anita Mayer