Forum Regular

HITCHHIKERS GUIde To th....ZZZzzzzz.....

I found myself in Denver last week on business in a snowstorm with a hotel right next to a 24 screen theatre so not wanting to venture to far in unknown terrain I just waltz over to see what was playing. This was the only thing playing that seemed interesting that I hadn't already seen.

I had no idea what this movie was about but I knew that it was supposed to be quirkey Sci-Fi which I usually like ...well until this monstrosity was released!

It was unfunny, uninteresting, poorly acted, and had some of the lamest special effects I've seen in the last 20 years. The special effects were so bad that I was wondering if they made them intentionally bad as a way of being campy. I couldn't tell for sure so either way they failed! what the heck is John Malkavich doing in this piece of crap (albeit just for a brief cameo)?

I later found out that this was a very popular book series among the geek squad. I should have know something was up when the crowd in the theater resembled a Star Trek convention. They were cheering entusiastically throughout most of the film...that's the only thing that kept me awake!

View at your own risk! (Unless you're already a card carrying fan)
    Last edited by 20to20K; 05-03-2005 at 05:31 AM. Reason: typo

Talking Thanks bud....

And another movie slips to the "rent not buy" list. Oh the local movie theatre is really gonna hate you for this review...

Da Worfster

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Oh my god, I almost typed the exact same thing....never read the books - guess you had to in order to enjoy this movie though.
    I knew early on I was lost when the crowd was ferociously laughing at parts I thought were just stupid.

It had a few good moments, some interesting satire, but really failed miserably IMO at winning over any new fans. I'd be upset if I spent money renting this flick...it gets "Sunday afternoon TBS worthy" IMO.

Thread Information