STAR WARS Special Edition films on DVD

The Force.net is reporting that there may be an official announcement next week regarding the release date for the STAR WARS Special Edition films on DVD. According to a Force.net reliable source, next Tuesday, February 10 may bring the day that Lucasfilm reveals its plans. The scooper also said the films will be released in a four-disc package, just as the INDIANA JONES trilogy of movies received last year, and that the street date will be September 21.

What kind of bonus material may be included on that four disc wasn't mentioned by the Force source.

IT'S ABOUT FREAKIN' TIME!!!!

Kam

a new hope

wonder if they'll include the untainted versions....

Tainted

I saw the old versions when they were originally in theaters. I noticed how many horrid spfx flaws there were. It needed help.

Gerorge Lucas said he merely was able to digitally envision what he could not due in the 70's due to technology limits.

One caveat: The part he really did taint was the scene between Greedo and Han Solo. That was implausible, and pathetic.

I hope they fix that badly done lightsabre battle so they no longer look like two rods.

Other than that, they did a GREAT job. TESB needed very little, but they did enhance it.

I could never stand people that complain about remakes and remasters anyway. In the realm of remakes, you can own the original Star wars, and simply not watch/not buy the remake. Problem solved.
    Last edited by Sealed; 02-08-2004 at 09:55 PM. Reason: syntax

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    wonder if they'll include the untainted versions....
    Kam; from what I read on other sites, these will be the tainted versions or in other words the additions that were added to all three versions. From what I read here and there, the orginal theatrical versions do not exist. This is so that the older versions have more a resemblance to Episode one and two as to the style and look of those films. I would also hope that a good job is done with the 5.1 channel tracks because the orginal films were really done in dolby surround. Even though I think all three were in six track sound, I do not think they were recorded with split surround rear channels.

Kam
    ah well. guess i just might have to keep my vcr around after all. only way to have the original originals then.

i don't mind the cleaning up of fx and sound, there's nothing wrong with doing a tighter rotoscoping job on the sabers and lasers and compositing with the explosions, and the technology of sound has progressed amazingly since the originals were released, so definitely take advantage to "enhance the viewing pleasure", i just didn't care for (aside from the solo/greedo tragedy, solo/jaba tragedy, jaba dance/singer tragedy) addition of moving digital monsters/creatures/etc. through so many scenes, especially on tatooine that just screams (imo) hey, lookie lookie what we can do with software now! lookie lookie! isn't it cool! sure it has nothing to do with adding anything to the story, but lookie lookie! it's cool isn't it!?

Reedits

point taken,

Then again, we are talking about George "ILM" Lucas. You'd think as much of a techno-dude that he is that he would have jumped onto DVD with both versions.

I was never much of a "purist" when it comes to these things, because old versions are still around.

But:

George did go into overkill, and he did bring us the malaise of jar-jar.

FWIW: Episode IV, and V are far and away my favorites. ROTJ was a puppet show and a partial rehash of #1, and it devalued Han Solo's parts for the sake of Lando.

I'd have no qualms whatsoever if they would re-CGI the whole original star trek series. The effects really need help.

Bout time

My fervor for these films has waned over the past 5 years or so,due in large part to the sub-par prequels and Lordof the Rings,but I will still get these.I wish they wouldve at least put the older versions on there for the "purist",but it doesnt really bother me.I am curious what Luca$ is going to charge for this little gem,Im going to venture to say $79.That is a high figue but i've seen him do it before,BB or CC will run it for $39 or $49 the first week though.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    GrendelZ: Somewhat agree with you, the newer films haven't had the same impact as the originals, but they've not been near as bad as I feared they'd be. Nothing spectacular, and a few bits I'd rather not have seen, but heh, to be fair to Lucas, he wasn't originally going to do this until enough people cried. And he did say they wouldn't be as good as the originals or they would have been the originals. The newer Star Wars are sadly still better than 90% of the other Sci-Fi crap that's out there today. And Episode II was a decent improvement over Episode I. I'll just have to see how Episode III turns out. I can't see the newer films being more popular than the originals though.
    I doubt a three part series of any other Tolkien (Simarillion or whatever) would match LOTR either.

I'd like to see Star Wars presented similar to the Alien Quadrilogy...2 DVD's for each film, one original, one re-vamped. Maybe a disc or two of bonus stuff.
    Prices will be set to maximize revenue, same as every other movie out there.

Forum Regular
    Would love to see him release the OT on dvd rather than the special edition. Clean it up, enhanse the special effects but then release it. This will cause me to still hold onto the VCR ...

Thread Information