Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Suspended Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    3,959

    Star Trek films on Bluray



    Being a big fan of original Star Trek movies, I had them on VHS and then DVD. So step up to bluray was next natural step J

    Bought first four films (Motion picture, Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock and Voyage Home) on Bluray and picture and audio quality is definitely step up from DVD. Higher resolution give picture quality that oomph that was missing from earlier format.

    For example, in Wrath of Khan switch and instrument panels aboard Enterprise are much sharper and you could actually read some of them. And higher resolution makes special effects more effective. Such as Genesis planet scene blowing up

    Of all four films, The Voyage Home is the weakest link in term of picture quality. Compare with the other three, picture is way too soft and less dimensional. Definitely not living up to its bluray format potential..

  2. #2
    Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post


    Being a big fan of original Star Trek movies, I had them on VHS and then DVD. So step up to bluray was next natural step J

    Bought first four films (Motion picture, Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock and Voyage Home) on Bluray and picture and audio quality is definitely step up from DVD. Higher resolution give picture quality that oomph that was missing from earlier format.

    For example, in Wrath of Khan switch and instrument panels aboard Enterprise are much sharper and you could actually read some of them. And higher resolution makes special effects more effective. Such as Genesis planet scene blowing up

    Of all four films, The Voyage Home is the weakest link in term of picture quality. Compare with the other three, picture is way too soft and less dimensional. Definitely not living up to its bluray format potential..
    That's a shame, because The Voyage Home is my favorite of the original movies. I figured that I would start to build my BluRay collection when I had a dull minute.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

    HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

  3. #3
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127
    Thanks, Smokey,

    But frankly if I never saw any of these flicks again, it would be too soon.

  4. #4
    Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Thanks, Smokey,

    But frankly if I never saw any of these flicks again, it would be too soon.
    It's safe to say then that you are not a "Trekie", correct?
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

    HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

  5. #5
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    It's safe to say then that you are not a "Trekie", correct?
    Well yes & no. It's fair to say I enjoyed the TV series more than the movies. BTW, Voyage Home was my favorite of the latter.

  6. #6
    Suspended Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Well yes & no. It's fair to say I enjoyed the TV series more than the movies.
    TV series (donít have it yet) also got some excellent episodes too. Paramount studio added more special effects to TV series which are also on bluray.

    Form the previews, picture quality seem to be excellent. And since Tv series was shot on film, the resolution should also be good too.

    And also agree about Voyage Home being as favorite. Of all four films, Wrath of Khan seem to gotten most special care in terms of remastering video and audio. I donít think studio spend the same effort to Voyage Home.

  7. #7
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •