Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sherlock Holmes

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names

Sherlock Holmes

Is it just me, or is anyone bugged by the notion that an American actor is playing the most famous sleuth of all time? I like Downey. I think he might even change my mind, but it still bugs me. Its like having an American actor play Charlie Chan...oh wait...
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Suspended
    I saw the previews of this movie and it looks like it will be good. We all know about previews though.

As far as who plays Sherlock, I think I'm so used to this type of thing I've grown indifferent. As long as the person does a good job. I can't believe all the bad accents they've had Leonardo try to do. Really bad in Blood Diamond and not so great in Body of Lies.

Get over it, its Hollywood. There has been plenty worse done.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Well, as long as it's not Conan Doyle, who cares? B'sides, we can't all be Jeremy Brett, guvnah....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

I'm more offended by the way they've taken such liberties with the character and story. The Holmes ethos has never been about punching people out and blowing stuff up. It's supposed to be a low key, cerebral and wry kind of story.

Yeah, well they have done this before....Remember Young Sherlock Holmes, The Seven Percent Solution, Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother or Murder by Decree?

BTW, Holmes was not above getting physical or using pyrotechnics....Recall his bout with Moriarty in The Final Problem and the smoke bomb in A Scandal in Bohemia?

I do agree with your sentiment, though. Downy? No....No....This movie looks more like a sequel to Wild, Wild West, to me...Who plays Watson? will Smith?

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    I'm more offended by the way they've taken such liberties with the character and story. The Holmes ethos has never been about punching people out and blowing stuff up. It's supposed to be a low key, cerebral and wry kind of story.
    “Comparability”…. I see no analogy there myself!!... But hey the matinee crowd” needs the action `and Hollywood wants the Money, that been said….

(I would have love to see this movie been done in the period setting” and acting”) but big Hollywood can’t do that at this time to make money IMO” however after seen some clips and trailers I am looking forward to see this movie with some Anticipation
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano
    Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
    (....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
    produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

Suspended
    There's a sequel to Wild Wild West?

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Actually Holmes did knock a few ruffians senseless, and of course tossed Professor Moriarty over Reichenbach Falls using his martial arts skills, but overall yes, Holmes was a detecting machine, not a unlimited fighting competitor.

I for one am NOT going to see this movie. To me Jeremy Brett was the definitive Sherlock Holmes.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I have to agree with Troy as well, for the most part Sherlock Holmes wasn't Jason Bourne or the Daniel Craig Bond...the nationality of the actor I could care less about, there's always some time and place setting help required by the audience so this isn't overboard.

Worst part about the movie though is it would probably work (or fail) on its own merit without using the name of Holmes to sell tickets if they just kept the plot and and changed the names. There should be some form of character policing in Hollywood - what's next Superman being able to reverse time?

Superman...reversing time? Oh, come on, man!

Suspended
    Interesting to see folks views on this. It's wierd I know of Holmes and his catch phrase and character but I don't have any one person's face come to mind when I think of him.

Well...

As an old fart. Holmes to me was and will always be Basil Rathbone and Watson Nigel Bruce. That Holmes could "mix it up" if he had to and took on everyone from Moriarty to Uncle Adolph to boot. Jeremy Brettl's a close second, everyone else are also rans. I, for one, am stoked to see this latest adaptation but fear that turning Holmes into Batman was/is NOT a good thing.

Worf

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    I for one am NOT going to see this movie. To me Jeremy Brett was the definitive Sherlock Holmes.
    I agree. Jeremy Brett was, indeed, an outstanding Holmes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kex
    I have to agree with Troy as well, for the most part Sherlock Holmes wasn't Jason Bourne or the Daniel Craig Bond....
    Yeah, but Matt Damon as Bourne wasn't Jason Bourne either. If one reads the Ludlum chronicles the film, though action-packed and exciting, is hardly an accurate representation of the original.

It wouldn't surprise me if those not initiated to the Conan-Doyle works like the flick and those experienced with the written word not so much.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    As an old fart. Holmes to me was and will always be Basil Rathbone and Watson Nigel Bruce. That Holmes could "mix it up" if he had to and took on everyone from Moriarty to Uncle Adolph to boot. Jeremy Brettl's a close second, everyone else are also rans. I, for one, am stoked to see this latest adaptation but fear that turning Holmes into Batman was/is NOT a good thing.

Worf
    Co-signs...and ya don't have to be an "old fart" to respect and enjoy Rathbone, Worfster. Unless I'm mistaken he was actually accomplished at fencing though not nearly to level of Cornell Wilde.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Let's not forget the late, great William Gillette, Fellow Irregulars!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Information...

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Co-signs...and ya don't have to be an "old fart" to respect and enjoy Rathbone, Worfster. Unless I'm mistaken he was actually accomplished at fencing though not nearly to level of Cornell Wilde.
    If I'm not mistaken, Rathbone was an Olympic level swordsman with the foil. Widely recognized as the finest blade in Hollywood history he TAUGHT Erroll Flynn how to fence and choreographed many of their classic sword fights. Perhaps the greatest missed opportunity is that no one saw that Rathbone would've made the PERFECT Lamont Cranston/Shadow. Oh my gawd if I had control of a major studio for just one YEAR!!!!!

Worf

So is this the genesis of a new thread? A Sherlock Holmes thread? Hmm?

Suspended
    I thought this, was, a Sherlock Holmes thread?

How about Worf as Holmes?

Nah....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I thought this, was, a Sherlock Holmes thread?

How about Worf as Holmes?
    IF I were to be a classic crimefighter.... I'd either be "Doc Savage" or "The Shadow". Something about a being all dressed in black, with a slouched hat and gleaming twin .45's get's to me, that and the ability to cloud men's (and more importantly womins) minds is just too good to pass up. Holmes, can be considered in many respects the first non-religious "super-hero". His super power being his powers of observation and superb intellect. "Protean genius"!!!!

Worf

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I have to agree with Troy as well, for the most part Sherlock Holmes wasn't Jason Bourne or the Daniel Craig Bond...the nationality of the actor I could care less about, there's always some time and place setting help required by the audience so this isn't overboard.

Worst part about the movie though is it would probably work (or fail) on its own merit without using the name of Holmes to sell tickets if they just kept the plot and and changed the names. There should be some form of character policing in Hollywood - what's next Superman being able to reverse time?
    Sarcasm right? Didn't Superman reverse earth rotation in one of the movies to reverse time and save Lois Lane? Basil Rathbone was always my favorite Holmes. Always loved watching his Sherlock Holmes adventures when they were on in the afternoon after school. I have two DVD sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Well, as long as it's not Conan Doyle, who cares? B'sides, we can't all be Jeremy Brett, guvnah....
    Brett was the perfect Holmes.

Quote Originally Posted by bfalls
    Sarcasm right? Didn't Superman reverse earth rotation in one of the movies to reverse time and save Lois Lane?
    Yes" the year was 1978 starred...Christopher reeve" In Superman.....The Movie??!!
    Gene Hackman" was the Bad Guy??!!
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano
    Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
    (....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
    produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

So, did anyone in this thread ever see this?

I snuck in last night after watching Avatar. This version of Sherlock Holmes was a crushing bore. With it's obligatory animosity tempered with camaraderie between Watson and Holmes, it's villain dabbling in the dark arts and it's big fight at the end atop the under-construction Tower Bridge, the whole thing felt phoned in. Gee, will Holmes or the bad guy survive? Cliche on top of cliche, over and over again. There was nothing in this movie that surprised or engaged me.

Downey mumbled his way through every scene with his ridiculous excuse for an English accent. Jude Law looked bored. Rachel McAdams was awful too–totally miscast. Every scene looked dreary and muted. What a turd.

Suspended
    Yeah, but based on the Michael Bay thread no one here except me knows a good movie when they see it So you guys are like the critics, if you hate it, it's probably good.

How was Avatar?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information