Scarface Platinum Edition?

Does anybody know if this new edition is worth buying or if it's just another gimmick to empty our wallets. I have the Anniversary Edition, but this new one is supposedly remastered, even including updated sound effects, which seems like an unjustified alteration. Any comments would be appreciated.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    Does anybody know if this new edition is worth buying or if it's just another gimmick to empty our wallets. I have the Anniversary Edition, but this new one is supposedly remastered, even including updated sound effects, which seems like an unjustified alteration. Any comments would be appreciated.

I would wait until the "Platinum Double Aniversary Extra Special Sneak Preview With Never Seen Before Extra Commentary" comes out. About that time they will be finished draining your wallet.

I guess if you need to hear a gun fired with even greater clarity, this may be your release.

Reviews I've read indicate that the primary change to this edition is that they remixed the audio track. The video transfer and most of the bonus features are basically the same as the anniversary edition that Universal issued in 2003. Short of it is that if you don't already own Scarface, this Platinum Edition is the one to get. If you already own the Anniversary Edition, whether or not to double dip depends on how much you want that remixed and remastered audio.

I have the previous edition and the audio did sound quite dated. Then again, the original soundtrack elements were done in 1983 and I don't think the movie was theatrically released with a six-channel soundtrack, so it would stand to reason that it does not hold up well. I think that efforts to "modernize" vintage movie soundtracks are inevitably a mixed bag. Some aspects of it might subjectively sound better, but the contrasts can sound quite jarring and ridiculous at times.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    The video transfer and most of the bonus features are basically the same as the anniversary edition that Universal issued in 2003.

If I ever seen a movie that is in need of some serious attention in video department, Scarface would be it. Borrowed the anniversary edition from a friend, and video was so disappointing. Too much noise, murky and colors were just plain dull.

And from on line reviews of new Platinum Edition released today, the video has not being
    improved in anyway. May be on the next edition

SCARFACE has not had a very good history on DVD. The first DVD was a disaster and then some with some of the worst print problems EVER. The sound was also a mess. Then, the Anniversasry Ed. comes out with the hope that problems would be alleviated. Well, despite doing a 5.1 DD and 5.1 DTS audio, both are very thin and problematic in many areas. There is harshness and other distortions that are plaguing that DVD, especially the Moroder score. The picture is the other half of the nightmare with an incredibly large amount of grain and artifacts making the picture seem dated and dirty. Colors were another huge disappointment, especially the video RED.

PLEASE UNIVERSAL GET THIS RIGHT AT SOME POINT IN TIME! How else are all the wannabe gangsters gonna live????

Thread Information