Recent Rentals and Viewings Part Deux

Sorry this took a little longer that usual, between takin knucklehead to College, earthquakes and Hurricanes, I've been a tad busy...

Captain America - B - I enjoyed the heck out of this flick but it's now exactly a fair assessment in that I've been a Marvel Maniac since the early 60's. Look for cameo's by Sgt. Furiy's Howlling Commando's and some other notables and put your mind on hold. Good fun!

Midnight in Paris - C - Woody Allen lost me decades ago. I admit I was a big time fan I was younger but not so much now. This move was "mildly" entertaining and is probably a good "date flick" but meat eaters will be bored silly. Literary references abound and it's a must see for all who love the city of light.

Rise of Planet of the Apes - B - I must admit this film was MUCH better than I expected. Taught, well directed with a VERY plausible script and fine acting all round this is classic Sci/Fi monster movie fare for a summer evening. You could do a LOT worse.

Get Low - C+ - Overly arty and pretentious at points the movie bubbles but never catches fire. Very obvious plot and less than subtle points. More character development would've helped this film immensely.

Blue Valentine - C+ - Sad taile oft told of two people who meet and fall in love who perhaps would've been better served if they never had. Sad, sorry and hard to watch.

The Green Hornet - D - Seth Rogan is perhaps the only actor/comedian that makes Vince Vaughn look funny. Rogan ain't funny, never has been funny, never will be funny. The Green Hornet of the 40's was a pulp hero who dealt justice, this Green Hornet is a pathetic loser/wannabe who has to have his woman do his thinking and his chauffer do his building and fighting. Pathetic sack of chit.

Never Let Me Go - A-minus - An amazing film that flows so naturally and logically that you forget its Sci Fi. In the near future, human beings (supposedly with no souls) are bread and nurtured for parts. We follow three of these people/creatures as they examine their fate, Exceptional, understated movie making at it's finest.

True Grit - B - I wasn't a big fan of the original with John Wayne chewing up the scenery so I must admit I enjoyed this film much better. It was much truer to the book I'd read in Junior High and far more believable. A tood western with a better than average cast.

Drive Angry - C+ - A good summer popcorn muncher about a bad boy who escapes from Hell in an effort to save his grand daughter from the hands of a Stanic cult. More fun than you'd think.

Hobo With A Shotgun - C - I thought this movie was going to be more entertaining than it was. Typical schlock of vigilante vengeance gone gonzo.

The Fighter - B - A great film about a true life Rocky, "Irish" Mickey Ward was a basically a club fighter who I saw fight on ESPN a milion times in the 80's and 90's. With a hellion for a mother, a wimp for a father and a feck-uped crack head for a brother he overcomes all odds to become a world chapion. Great moive, wonderful extra's and superb acting.

Another Year - A - Great understated British film making from Director Mike Leigh. This film follows an English family with more than it's share of human wreckage in the form of family and friends. Leslie Manville turns in the performance of the century as damaged family friend Mary. I can't praise her performance enough. How she lost the Best Supporting Actress Oscar to Melissa Leo in "The Fighter" is criminal.

Battle: Los Angeles - B - Rarely am I pleasently surprised by FX laden movies but I was by this one. This, (as the Director aptly put it,) is NOT an Alien movie with Marines but a War movie with Aliens in it". And so it is. Great acting, crisp direction and a great semi documentary shooting style makes this "B" movie stand over and above others of its ilk. Rent this if you haven't seen it.

Well, enough for now... Be good and stay dry.

Worf

Suspended
    Yeah, Get Low was not that good at all. I want to see the Fighter and had Drive Angry on the screen at Redbox but didn't rent it. Maybe I still will.

I recently saw:

I Am Number 4 which was not great but mildly entertaining at times.

Hanna - which I liked because I really like Saoirse Ronan. ( I have no idea how to pronounce her name) She was awesome in The Lovely Bones and she played this whacked out part quite well also. Trained by her thought to be father to be a Warrior away from civilization, but for what? You really don't get to find out what is really going on until the movie is 2/3rds over. So, it's not totally predictable, but some scenes are once you know what she is capable of. She was also recently in The Way Back, which was good.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I watched about an hour of I am Number Four and it just got worse and worse so I shut it off. Dear Mr. Katzenberg, your films have contributed greatly to the sorry releases we have seen as of late. You have no right to criticize another studios films, when yours are just as bad..if not worse.

I liked The Green Hornet , but I hated Seth Rogan with a passion. I am over the immature adolescent like adult male type he is constantly playing..totally over it. Jay Chou was off the chain though, and I really liked his performance.

Battle: Los Angeles for me is a prime case of how not to do film sound. Too many explosions for far too long = not giving the brain and ears a break. In film school we learn to sonically assault you, then give you a break so your senses recover. This movie failed in that area, so I had to watch it in two parts. Overall I liked it, but they really needed more sonic recovery time to prevent sonic fatigue.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Wow, you get around, Worfster. Of you list I've only seen True Grit (2010); I give it 4/5*

What I did see a couple of days ago was...

Conan the Barbarian (2011) ~ Dir. Marcus Nipsel

Brutally bad! Really lousy fake 3D too. 1/5* Don't waste your time, eyeballs, or ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    I watched about an hour of I am Number Four and it just got worse and worse so I shut it off. Dear Mr. Katzenberg, your films have contributed greatly to the sorry releases we have seen as of late. You have no right to criticize another studios films, when yours are just as bad..if not worse.

I liked The Green Hornet , but I hated Seth Rogan with a passion. I am over the immature adolescent like adult male type he is constantly playing..totally over it. Jay Chou was off the chain though, and I really liked his performance.

Battle: Los Angeles for me is a prime case of how not to do film sound. Too many explosions for far too long = not giving the brain and ears a break. In film school we learn to sonically assault you, then give you a break so your senses recover. This movie failed in that area, so I had to watch it in two parts. Overall I liked it, but they really needed more sonic recovery time to prevent sonic fatigue.
    Errrrr... combat IS loud...

Worf

Forum Regular
    The Fighter and True Grit were two of my favorites. I heard some pretty bad things about Battle: Los Angeles, but i might look into it based on your review.

Thread Information