Thread: Recent Rentals

Recent Rentals

Been doing a little "catch-up" lately.

1. "Milk" - A-minus - Despite being quite familiar with the history of the Supervisor Milk's rise and demise I found the film excellent and Sean Penn's performance was as good as Rourkes in "The Wrestler".

2. "The Reader" - A - Wow, talk about subject matter being rough rugged and raw. Man amazing film, rich layered and textured. Not for everyone and sure to stir many a conversation on the subjects of good, evil, complicity and guilt. More than I ever expected.

3. "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" - B - Based on an absolutely true story this movie is tough to watch. Much like the reader above it will challenge you and your assumptions about love, loyalty and fate.

4. "The Wackness" - B - Interesting subject matter with two great performances by Kingsley and Frankie Jaansen. Though the era depicted is not that long ago it almost seems "quaint" and nostalgic in a pre-911 world.

5. "The Spirit" - F- You already know how badly they effed this one up. Right up there with "The Shadow" "The Phantom" and "Doc Savage". They couldn't screw this one up any worse.

Da Worfster

Kam
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101

1. "Milk" - A-minus - Despite being quite familiar with the history of the Supervisor Milk's rise and demise I found the film excellent and Sean Penn's performance was as good as Rourkes in "The Wrestler".

2. "The Reader" - A - Wow, talk about subject matter being rough rugged and raw. Man amazing film, rich layered and textured. Not for everyone and sure to stir many a conversation on the subjects of good, evil, complicity and guilt. More than I ever expected.

3. "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" - B - Based on an absolutely true story this movie is tough to watch. Much like the reader above it will challenge you and your assumptions about love, loyalty and fate.

4. "The Wackness" - B - Interesting subject matter with two great performances by Kingsley and Frankie Jaansen. Though the era depicted is not that long ago it almost seems "quaint" and nostalgic in a pre-911 world.

5. "The Spirit" - F- You already know how badly they effed this one up. Right up there with "The Shadow" "The Phantom" and "Doc Savage". They couldn't screw this one up any worse.

Da Worfster
    thanks worfster! i just saw the Wackness on Netflix Instant and thought i'd check it out. i'll give it a look-see now.
    /create

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101

Da Worfster
    Ok, somehow I got the impression (I guess from Oscar coverage) that the only reason to see this was for Kate Winslet's performance. Now I know there's a story there too. I also know better than to rely on ET-type talking heads when it comes to film. Added to "to-rent" list.

So if Milk was so good, why the A minus, Worf-man?

Thread Information