Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Phillip Seymour Hoffman does it again.

It's a Christmas tradition for us to go to a movie with my Mom on Christmas Eve. This year we had a choice to make between Sweeny Todd (we saw the play last month and are very curious about the movie) and Charlie Wilson's War. Charlie Wilson won out. Making mincemeat pies from humans just didn't seem as festive as running the Ruskies out of Afghanistan.

This was a great film. Not knowing anything about the history of this region other than what's gone on in the last 6 years, this was a fascinating history lesson for me. But aside from that, the acting in this movie was excellent. Phillip Seymour, although a supporting role to Tom Hanks in the lead role, stole the show...as I expected he would. (Can you say Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor?) Watching him in this film and thinking that this is the same actor who played Capote was just mind blowing. He was so totally different in each role that it is hard to believe that it was the same person. Which is exactly what a great actor should be able to do. Whereas Tom Hanks is Tom Hanks is Tom Hanks IMO. Not to diminish Tom Hanks talent, but he is not the chameleon that is PSH.

Also, suprisingly, good in this film is Julia Roberts. I'm not a fan of hers. But I have to say, that she was very good in this role. I guess that as she's getting older she really needs to find more mature roles to play. She's at that age where the fluffy romantic comedies just aren't going to be believable for much longer. And maybe as that happens we'll see a new Julia Roberts emerge. She showed some real talent in this film. She was smart and sassy and beautiful and believable. I hope to see this trend continue for her in the future. If this is a sign of things to come, she could be a great actress....assuming that the viewing public can get over Mystic Pizza and Pretty Woman.

Yes...

Don Cheedle and Mr. Hoffman are two of the most underated actors I've ever run across. I loved PSH in "The Talented Mr. Ripley" and a host of other films where his talents shone forth. He's an "anti-Hollywood" kind of actor. He melts into his roles like the legendary Paul Muni and Robert Donat. Two great actors who BECAME their characters. You never see them working. Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise, Denzel is Denzel.... You never NOT see them acting, not so with Mr. Hoffman... good call.

Da Worfster

Berry good review. I anxious to see this, also. Nice commentary on Hoffman by Worf. Remember this dude in Boogie Nights? He's gettin upwards of 10M a picture these days, whatta ya wanna bet?
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

I agree as well. Able to absorb himself in every role to the point where he disappears. He's a modern day Rod Steiger.

Thread Information