Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Resident DVD Reviewer

Everyone Always Makes a List of Favorite Films; How About Opinions on the WORST Films

Here is what I have on the top of my head regarding some of the worst films ever made, simply in my own opinion; I'll add as I think of more....these get my award:

Exorcist II: The Heretic
    2Fast2Furious
    Jaws: The Revenge
    The Italian Job (original; please no flaming on this: It's my opinion)
    Amityville 1992: Its About Time
    Amityville 4: The Evil Escapes
    Amityville: A New Generation
    Amityville: Dollhouse (was this REALLY necessary?)
    Amityville Curse
    Lawnmower Man 2
    Galaxy Quest

More will come to mind as I think of them.....
    Last edited by Lexmark3200; 09-23-2004 at 11:47 AM.

For starters...

The Pledge
    Head of State
    Bringing Down the House
    Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (the women were nice though)
    "I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em." -Jimmy V

After looking up my poorly rated Netflix movies here are some more:

Jeeper Creepers
    The Villain
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III
    Universal Soldier: The Return
    Children of the Corn IV
    The Graveyard Shift
    The Real Cancun
    The Core
    Like Mike
    Down to Earth
    Pootie Tang
    Breakfast of Champions
    Solo
    The Master of Disguise
    House of the Dead
    Black Knight
    Batman and Robin
    Dungeons & Dragons
    Encino Man
    Escape from LA
    Ernest Goes to Jail
    Freejack

I am sure some people are going to have some differing opinions, but these are some movies I really didn't like.
    "I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em." -Jimmy V

JSE
    Let's See?

1. TOYS
    2. WAITING FOR GUFMAN (SP?)
    3. DAREDEVIL (Just about anything with AAAAAFLAAAAACK)
    4. OPEN WATERS
    5. EXORCIST II
    6. BATTLEFIELD EARTH
    7. FLASH GORDON
    9: All FRIDAY THE 13TH movies.
    10. EUROPEAN AND VEGAS VACATIONS.

Just to name a few off the top of my head.

JSE

Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    Let's See?

1. TOYS
    2. WAITING FOR GUFMAN (SP?)
    3. DAREDEVIL (Just about anything with AAAAAFLAAAAACK)
    4. OPEN WATERS
    5. EXORCIST II
    6. BATTLEFIELD EARTH
    7. FLASH GORDON
    9: All FRIDAY THE 13TH movies.
    10. EUROPEAN AND VEGAS VACATIONS.

Just to name a few off the top of my head.

JSE
    Wow, I forgot about Daredevil and Battlefield Earth. Thanks JSE. I thought Open Waters was bad, but I wouldn't put in my worst movie ever list, but I hear where you are coming from.

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by alumpkin

Jeeper Creepers
    The Villain
    Children of the Corn IV
    The Graveyard Shift
    The Real Cancun
    The Core
    Like Mike
    Down to Earth
    Pootie Tang
    Breakfast of Champions
    Solo
    The Master of Disguise
    House of the Dead
    Black Knight
    Batman and Robin
    Dungeons & Dragons
    Encino Man
    Escape from LA
    Ernest Goes to Jail
    Freejack

I am sure some people are going to have some differing opinions, but these are some movies I really didn't like.

Jeez, your list reminds me of a lot of movies that I also thought sucked. I can't believe you can remember all these. The only one I can somewhat disagree with is The Real Cancun. Any movie with that much female skin just can't be put on a "Worst List". I started to put Showgirls on the list but again, can't do it.

JSE

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar

Freejack? Freejack was _great_, dude!

But I guess that's the danger of lists like these -- always, there are bound to be movies on these lists that I like. Oh, well...

Mine:

Ishtar
    Avengers
    Batman and Robin
    Perfect Storm (I know I'm in the minority on this -- I'll respond to all the flames now: bite me, it's just an opinion.)

...hmm..can't really think of any others (that I've seen -- didn't see Battlefield Earth).
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular

Here's my list

Some of these movies aren't necessarily awful just much worst then what I expected.

Eyes Wide Shut
    Gothika
    Hollow Man
    Gods and Generals
    Any Batman without Michael Keaton

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Wow, didnt think it would garner this much attention; nice detail here, guys....must totally agree with some of you, like on Charlies Angels....nice girls, ****ty film....but disagree with some of your choices on WORST FILMS OF ALL TIME where JSE included "Open Waters" and some others; while that film gets polarized reactions, I dont think it really belongs in "The Worst Films Of All Time" category....Im glad I wasnt the only one who thought Exorcist II was one of the all-time most horrendous films ever made; it really was.

Oh, and how about "Leprechaun: Back In The Hood"....? Did any of you see THAT piece of crap? HOW does this stuff even GET MADE??

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    But I guess that's the danger of lists like these -- always, there are bound to be movies on these lists that I like. Oh, well...

Mine:

Ishtar
    Avengers
    Batman and Robin
    Perfect Storm (I know I'm in the minority on this -- I'll respond to all the flames now: bite me, it's just an opinion.)

...hmm..can't really think of any others (that I've seen -- didn't see Battlefield Earth).
    Yeah, no flaming, but MUST disagree with you on Perfect Storm; I liked it and own the DVD. It wasnt fabulous, though, but I wouldnt put it on my worst films of all time list.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by sc03979
    Some of these movies aren't necessarily awful just much worst then what I expected.

Eyes Wide Shut
    Gothika
    Hollow Man
    Gods and Generals
    Any Batman without Michael Keaton
    Yeah SC,

I dont think any of these warrant "worst ever made films of all time...."; to be honest, they may have been bad (which, yeah, a couple on your list were), but they werent entirely not watchable, like some others listed in this post are......interesting response, though. Thanks.

Unhappy Okay, it's been a couple of years since this was posted...

Here's my list off the top of my head,.

1. Star Wars Episode I - For all the reasons enumerated over and over again by myself and others. The creator of Jar Jar Binks should have his head lopped off and put on spike for all to see.

3. Aliens 3 - The worst pile of excrement seen in a while. How to take a wonderful franchise and destroy it. Only good thing was it was filmed so darkly I couldn't see a thing.

4. The Shadow - I'd read these books as a kid and listened to tapes of the old radio shows. How can you destroy so venerable a character by putting a godd**n Baldwin in it.

5. Gods and Generals - Ohhh see the gallant Southern Gentlemen repel the nasty foreign invaders from tne Norf (errr the South fired first). Ohhh look at the happy darkies, tearfully crying for their daid massa's and defending thier property from the ravagin' Yankee scum (err right, that's the ticket). I hadn't been so mad leaving a movie since Star Wars Episode I.

6. Peal Harbor - Hmm how historically innaccurate can we make this movie. Oh I know let's have P40 Warhawks fly like X-Wings and use the the whole mish mash as a backdrop for the tiredest love story in the history of mankind.

7. Batman's 3 and 4 - So sh***y I can't even remember the titles. Thank God...

8. The Avengers - Sigh, can you please leave me alone with my memories of the REAL Emma Peel!!!??? Why did you have to ruin this for me.

9. Superman (?) The Quest for Peas? - Richard Pryor should be ashamed of himself, or am I confusing the two?

10. Another 48 Hours - Just couldn't leave well enough alone could they???

11. Beverly Hills Cop II and III - See the above and triple it.

12. Black Knight - When will someone tell Martin Lawrence that he stopped bein' funny about 6 years ago. Like Pryor he was funnier when on cocaine.

13. King Kong (1970 something) - Sigh.... a crime against humanity.

14. The Black Hole - My first inkling that Disney really was dead.

15. Contact - Three hours of that chite only to be told "it's a matter of faith". Puhleese.

Well that's enough for now. I'm making myself sick...

Da Worfster

JSE
    "14. The Black Hole - My first inkling that Disney really was dead. "

Ahh, Worf, your killin me. I loved this movie. I saw it again on cable about 6 months ago or so. I had not seen it in years, many years. I used to have poster of the Dr's cheif bad robot (cannot remember his name for some reason) standing there on that rock in the middle of the Black Hole which seemed to resemble hell. See, that's deep!

JSE

Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    Yeah, no flaming, but MUST disagree with you on Perfect Storm; I liked it and own the DVD. It wasnt fabulous, though, but I wouldnt put it on my worst films of all time list.
    I guess what I didn't like about it (and films like it) is when movies are "vehicles" for particular actors to "act". This one was a multi-purpose vehicle for the entire ensemble to "act", and I just didn't think it went anywhere. I don't mind "acting", but I hate it when they're too obvious and "Hollywood" about it. (And I have been a fan of George Clooney since From Dusk Til Dawn -- he's just such a very charismatic actor.)

Oh, oh, another one, what was that one with Jodie Foster and ...Richard Gere, was it? Oh, yeah, Somersby -- retch.

I have to agree with Contact. The best thing about that one was what's-his-name...erm...the psycho...I guess it was the Henry Strozier character, the minister?

And of course, with a list as comprehensive as Worf's, I have to disagree with one or two: Aliens 3 (I like courageous films -- in fact, I dug the whole franchise/quadrilogy/whatever, and need to get those on DVD), Beverly Hills Cop II (I liked Tony Scott's direction on that one).

I liked Black Hole until the end, but the end was so bad it ruined the rest of the movie for me.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Here's my list off the top of my head,.

1. Star Wars Episode I - For all the reasons enumerated over and over again by myself and others. The creator of Jar Jar Binks should have his head lopped off and put on spike for all to see.

3. Aliens 3 - The worst pile of excrement seen in a while. How to take a wonderful franchise and destroy it. Only good thing was it was filmed so darkly I couldn't see a thing.

4. The Shadow - I'd read these books as a kid and listened to tapes of the old radio shows. How can you destroy so venerable a character by putting a godd**n Baldwin in it.

5. Gods and Generals - Ohhh see the gallant Southern Gentlemen repel the nasty foreign invaders from tne Norf (errr the South fired first). Ohhh look at the happy darkies, tearfully crying for their daid massa's and defending thier property from the ravagin' Yankee scum (err right, that's the ticket). I hadn't been so mad leaving a movie since Star Wars Episode I.

6. Peal Harbor - Hmm how historically innaccurate can we make this movie. Oh I know let's have P40 Warhawks fly like X-Wings and use the the whole mish mash as a backdrop for the tiredest love story in the history of mankind.

7. Batman's 3 and 4 - So sh***y I can't even remember the titles. Thank God...

8. The Avengers - Sigh, can you please leave me alone with my memories of the REAL Emma Peel!!!??? Why did you have to ruin this for me.

9. Superman (?) The Quest for Peas? - Richard Pryor should be ashamed of himself, or am I confusing the two?

10. Another 48 Hours - Just couldn't leave well enough alone could they???

11. Beverly Hills Cop II and III - See the above and triple it.

12. Black Knight - When will someone tell Martin Lawrence that he stopped bein' funny about 6 years ago. Like Pryor he was funnier when on cocaine.

13. King Kong (1970 something) - Sigh.... a crime against humanity.

14. The Black Hole - My first inkling that Disney really was dead.

15. Contact - Three hours of that chite only to be told "it's a matter of faith". Puhleese.

Well that's enough for now. I'm making myself sick...

Da Worfster
    Okay, Worfie....sure its been awhile since this topic was posted, but must agree with you on many of these.....it was actually Superman III that had Richard Pryor in it, and you are CRACKING ME UP right now with your title for Superman IV: The Quest For PEAS!!!! It was actually PEACE....but these two films WERE horrible; it is actually what is stopping me from buying the Superman box set collection. Contact was another horrible attempt at sci fi, you are correct. Pearl Harbor I will agree with, that it was horribly historically inaccurate, but I dont think it quite belongs on the list of all time worst; dont even get me started on the backdrop love story plot; that was completely assinine and ridiculous, and simply satisfied this theater going generation's inability to sit in their seats and watch a piece of cinema about something that actually happened during this country's history WITHOUT some kind of sappy, ridiculous idiotic love story attached to it, a la "Titanic," which I blame for starting all this crap. Still, the sound and visuals of Michael Bay's "Pearl Harbor" in the Vista Series two disc THX mastered, DTS-ladened version I think may make up for the film's shortcomings, and may be the reason why the film MAY make it into my collection at some point.

More for the "Worst Films of all Time" list? How about Police Academy....oh....say.....number 4 on, "Citizens on Patrol," "Assignment: Miami Beach" and "Mission to Moscow".....did anyone actually SEE Mission to Moscow???

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Here's a few:

1) Cool Runnings
    2) Windtalkers
    3) Wing Commander - yucko
    4) Dances with Wolves
    5) Gigli
    6) Battlefield Earth
    7) The End of the Affair
    8) Jackie Brown (even Tarantino doesn't acknowledge this film any more)
    9) Eyes Wide Shut
    10) Mummy 2

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    8) Jackie Brown (even Tarantino doesn't acknowledge this film any more)
    I have a friend whose favourite Tarantino film is Jackie Brown. And, what do you mean, he doesn't acknowledge it?
    10) Mummy 2
    Aw, c'mon, that was a great film! Well, not "great" as in "Oscar-worthy", but great as in one of the few sequels that did not disappoint. It was fun! I thought it was as good as the first one.

I haven't seen Pearl Harbor, but I heard it's bad. Who cares if the sound and colors are wonderful?

Oh, here's a couple: Matrix 2 & 3. So disappointing, after the innovation of the first one.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    I have a friend whose favourite Tarantino film is Jackie Brown. And, what do you mean, he doesn't acknowledge it?Aw, c'mon, that was a great film! Well, not "great" as in "Oscar-worthy", but great as in one of the few sequels that did not disappoint. It was fun! I thought it was as good as the first one.

I haven't seen Pearl Harbor, but I heard it's bad. Who cares if the sound and colors are wonderful?

Oh, here's a couple: Matrix 2 & 3. So disappointing, after the innovation of the first one.
    Well I happen to care if sound and visuals are wonderful. Thats why I spent the big bucks for the install, cracko.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

How about the LAST movie you saw in a theater that sucked.

That would be Van Helsing for me.

The CGI monster is out of the bag and running wild all over a screen near you!

Hugh Jackman looked like he couldn't wait for this movie to be over, and I agree with him 100%.

Kate Beckinsale's Transylvanian accent will go down as possibly the worst accent ever forged.

There was one memorable line in the move though;

Dracula to Igor as Igor is torturing the Werewolf with a cattle prod;

Igor, why do you that?

Igor; But master, that's what I do.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Well I happen to care if sound and visuals are wonderful. Thats why I spent the big bucks for the install, cracko.
    No, no, don't get me wrong -- I go over to a friend's house every chance I can, because he has a big-bucks HT system -- mostly for the sound and visuals. I'm just saying the best sound and visuals in the world won't save a bad movie, that's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Kate Beckinsale's Transylvanian accent will go down as possibly the worst accent ever forged.
    Nope. It is bad, in fact, it's up there in my top 10 worst that I've seen recently, but the mother in Man on Fire was all over the place -- Southern at one point, fake-British-rich-snob in another, you name it. I could almost justify it (the Southern is during a breakdown, so I'm thinking maybe she's breaking down, and regressing to her Southern roots), but then again...

But the worst was Nicole Kidman's in Cold Mountain. Sorry, Nicole, I love you dearly, and you are a wonderful actress, so I can only blame the director.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Okay, I thought of a couple of others that belonged in my original list....Grease 2 and Stayin Alive...two ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY UNNECESSARY sequels.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    "No, no, don't get me wrong -- I go over to a friend's house every chance I can, because he has a big-bucks HT system -- mostly for the sound and visuals. I'm just saying the best sound and visuals in the world won't save a bad movie, that's all."

Well, when broken down succinctly, perhaps that may be correct, but sometimes I find myself forgiving certain films because of their absolutely beautiful marketing or performance on Digital Versatile Disc; this has happened with Pearl Harbor for me, and because of its THX mastered delivery, its DTS soundtrack and the gorgeous packaging, I will probably add it to my collection soon. Sure, the film sucked great big donkey dick, and I am a surface fan of Michael Bay's, but it was a travesty of a film that did no justice or homage to the surviving families of folks lost during that cowardly raid and at the same time HID behind a sappy, ridiculous nauseating love triangle story that was COMPLETELY unnecessary.

But, in Home Theater Magazine's "DVDs Of All Time" issue, Pearl Harbor fell in the category of "BEST DVD PRESENTATIONS OF BAD FILMS...." or some such mention; it said something about Pearl Harbor having an absolutely gorgeous packaging scheme and awesome transfer and it was too bad because it was a movie that was "just so ridiculously corny while not even trying........"

Resident DVD Reviewer

Jeeper Creepers
    The Villain
    Children of the Corn IV
    The Graveyard Shift
    The Real Cancun
    The Core
    Like Mike
    Down to Earth
    Pootie Tang
    Breakfast of Champions
    Solo
    The Master of Disguise
    House of the Dead
    Black Knight
    Batman and Robin
    Dungeons & Dragons
    Encino Man
    Escape from LA
    Ernest Goes to Jail
    Freejack

Of your list, I enjoy and/or own the following, so must disagree (on):

Escape From LA (Thought it was a clever sequel to one of my favorite Carpenter films, Escape From New York; Russell just seems born to play Snake Plissken)

Jeepers Creepers (my better half loves this and part 2, and I thought they were nifty little horror flicks that "creeped" me out and which I hadnt felt in a long time from today's horror films; the idea of the "Creeper" was pretty cool)

Graveyard Shift (while not great, I thought this was a neat Stephen King adaptation for the screen; Stephen Macht is just downright creepy in this and so is Brad Douriff as the rat exterminator)

The other titles on your list I agree with; man were some of these bad.....Like Mike and The Core....holy ****....those were bad.....

Of your list, I enjoy and/or own the following, so must disagree (on):

Escape From LA (Thought it was a clever sequel to one of my favorite Carpenter films, Escape From New York; Russell just seems born to play Snake Plissken)

Jeepers Creepers (my better half loves this and part 2, and I thought they were nifty little horror flicks that "creeped" me out and which I hadnt felt in a long time from today's horror films; the idea of the "Creeper" was pretty cool)

Graveyard Shift (while not great, I thought this was a neat Stephen King adaptation for the screen; Stephen Macht is just downright creepy in this and so is Brad Douriff as the rat exterminator)

The other titles on your list I agree with; man were some of these bad.....Like Mike and The Core....holy ****....those were bad.....
    Lexmark, I do have to agree somewhat here. I say somewhat because I would still have these movies on my list, but they are the better ones that thinking back, shouldn't be on the worst movies of all time list. Escape from New York was entertaining and I agree about Russell, but it was just a little too over the top for me. I guess I was just disapointed with Jeepers Creepers... it started out well and then went downhill. I did like the 2nd Jeepers Creepers though. Graveyard Shift... yeah I was probably unfair... for the time it came out, the special effects were good and I agree that the story was pretty good as well. Overall, you make some good points.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Lexmark, I do have to agree somewhat here. I say somewhat because I would still have these movies on my list, but they are the better ones that thinking back, shouldn't be on the worst movies of all time list. Escape from New York was entertaining and I agree about Russell, but it was just a little too over the top for me. I guess I was just disapointed with Jeepers Creepers... it started out well and then went downhill. I did like the 2nd Jeepers Creepers though. Graveyard Shift... yeah I was probably unfair... for the time it came out, the special effects were good and I agree that the story was pretty good as well. Overall, you make some good points.
    Understandable; as a serious, avid film buff who studied communications and film techniques at New York's Hofstra University, I feel my opinions on most Hollywood created products are shared by a majority of people; when I usually say something sucks, it usually sucks, and vice versa; thats why I felt the titles on YOUR list didnt necessarily belong on a really, really horrid, "worst films of all time" list.....I mean, I dont think they were unwatchable....thats a really heavy honor to bestow on a piece of **** such as Grease 2, 2Fast2Furious and Exorcist II. THESE were bad, but I was actually ENTERTAINED by some on your list, including Escape From LA and Jeepers Creepers. I am glad you re-thought some of your stance here; you made the right choice! And yes, please give Graveyard Shift another chance....that giant rat/bat creature at the end was worth the price of admission alone...if not for Brad Douriff and Stephen Macht's seedy chararacters; nowhere near the best horror film of all time, but a decent Stephen King adapatation nonetheless, perhaps next to "It" and "Sleepwalkers."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information