Saw this utterly charming movie tonight. The plot centers around real-life musicians Glen Hansard (of The Frames) and Markéta Irglová, who play two would-be lovers who collide in (modern day?) Dublin. I don't know if the film would be considered a musical, but it is interspersed with performances that fit seamlessly with the plot and actually provide some narrative propulsion. The basic outline has Hansard playing a scruffy busker who harbors vague delusions of a possible music career whilst pining for a lost love, and Irglová as a Czech immigrant who breaks him out of his mopey rut. Over the course of the movie, they engage in an awkward courtship that is rescued from the maudlin by reserved, self-effacing performances, real musical chemistry, and deep characterization that reveals both to be more than the one-dimensional sad-sack savant and "manic pixie dream girl" that they initially appear to be. Both leads are absolutely revelatory, given to a natural acting style that fits the tone of the film perfectly. The musical numbers are also top-notch, especially if you are into this particular style (reminiscent of Damien Rice or some of Bright Eyes' less whiny material). I really don't have anything but nice words for this picture. If it's playing in yr area, by all means make it a date night... one of the better romances I've seen in quite some time.

-Coop