Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red face Movies that filled you with tears of joy.

Men are not suppose to have teary eyes (at least that is what I hear ), but some times we get so emotionally involve in a movie that it invoke deep feeling toward events happening in the movie. Be it happy, sad or tears rolling down the eyes. And most of time it happen at end of the film.

These are some of movies that me teary eyes.

The Search (1948): Set in Berlin, 1945, an American soldier - Montgomery Clift - try to find mother of a concentration camp survivor, a nine years child. In a unique unification of mother and son scenes at end of movie, one can’t help being filled with joy and tears.

Midnight Express (1980): At the end of movie where Billy Hayes slowly walk out of prison from key he stole from the warder. As the police jeep approach him outside the prison, he thought they are coming for him. But as Jeep passes by and he finally realized he is a free man and jump in the air, you find yourself reaching for an handkerchief.

Killing Fields (1984): After an emotion roller coast ride, the last scene where New York Times journalist Sam Waterson meet his Cambodian assistant Dith Pran after the hell he went thru in Cambodia gives a new meaning to human bond.

Karate Kid (1984): Although this movie had slow start, but it reached fever pitch point starting with the scene where Daniel is laying on the stretcher in locker room, and Mr Miyagi clap his hands real hard to precede with fixing his injured knee.
    Last edited by Smokey; 06-18-2007 at 07:19 PM.

That has to be the oddest compilation of films I have ever seen...you certainly have a wide variety of taste Smokester.

Movies that made me cry like a beep...

MY DOG SKIP - any pet lover has to be weeping by the 20 long minutes at then end of this tear-jerker.

SCHINDLERS LIST - just horrific.

STAND BY ME - I don't know why...the ending was sad to me.

PHILADELPHIA - that dang Neil Young song at the end while they are watching home-made movies...just heart-wrenching.

GLORY -Morgan Freeman and Denzel Washington...need I say more???

DEAD MAN WALKING -Whew. If only Sean Penn could act like this more often!

THE ELEPHANT MAN -Again, another sweeping ending with Barber's Adaggio for Strings (which is sad by itself) with the voice-over and then he goes to sleep...forever.

GOD'S AND MONSTERS - There is just something profound about this film!

THE POWER OF ONE -Dang you Morgan Freeman!!!

PATHS OF GLORY -One of Stanley Kubrick's finest films with some incredibly tension and sadness!

CINEMA PARADISO -the obvious scene where he is watching the collection of 'kissing' in cinema...just beautiful.

FAHRENHEIT 9/11 and BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE - some really emotional scenes in both of these films and they are real people sharing their real stories...that makes it more meaningful to me.

BRAVEHEART - I think we all know which part.

I guess I'm a big softy! Lots of crying here!!!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Where he throws that dude out the window!! I know!!!

-Coop

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Cooperberg
    Where he throws that dude out the window!! I know!!!

-Coop
    Actually it's the part where they know about the ambush and they lock the soldiers inside the fort and burn them alive.

Actually it's the part where they know about the ambush and they lock the soldiers inside the fort and burn them alive.
    And this made you cry with joy? I thought I was sick, but now...
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

MY DOG SKIP - any pet lover has to be weeping by the 20 long minutes at then end of this tear-jerker.

SCHINDLERS LIST - just horrific.

STAND BY ME - I don't know why...the ending was sad to me.

PHILADELPHIA - that dang Neil Young song at the end while they are watching home-made movies...just heart-wrenching.

GLORY -Morgan Freeman and Denzel Washington...need I say more???

DEAD MAN WALKING -Whew. If only Sean Penn could act like this more often!

THE ELEPHANT MAN -Again, another sweeping ending with Barber's Adaggio for Strings (which is sad by itself) with the voice-over and then he goes to sleep...forever.

GOD'S AND MONSTERS - There is just something profound about this film!

THE POWER OF ONE -Dang you Morgan Freeman!!!

PATHS OF GLORY -One of Stanley Kubrick's finest films with some incredibly tension and sadness!

CINEMA PARADISO -the obvious scene where he is watching the collection of 'kissing' in cinema...just beautiful.

FAHRENHEIT 9/11 and BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE - some really emotional scenes in both of these films and they are real people sharing their real stories...that makes it more meaningful to me.

I guess I'm a big softy! Lots of crying here!!!
    From the list, it seem you are a big softy

SCHINDLERS LIST must be one the saddest movies ever made. In theater, it was the first time I heard some audience cry.

I suppose it's fair to say that I become emotionally attached to films. I can't exactly explain why this sometimes happens and other times it doesn't, but anyway, usually I am not in tears because of how the characters feel, but how I would feel in their position. I don't have a problem expressing my emotions either...I guess you might say that I am soft, but usually those who are not in tune with their emotions are typically just living in fear...fear of what people think or feel about them. Or they just think that they need to be a 'good soldier' like their father taught them to be....boys don't cry dangit!

I hear what you are saying PS.

Sometimes movies can catch viewer by surprise emotionally. Most of time it happen at end of movie where emotion keep building and erupt like a volcano at the end. I guess it is kind of release.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    "Rudy" makes me tear
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey

Sometimes movies can catch viewer by surprise emotionally. Most of time it happen at end of movie where emotion keep building and erupt like a volcano at the end. I guess it is kind of release.
    Or it's the sweeping orchestral arrangement that is as manipulative as it gets. This was one problem that I had with A BEAUTIFUL MIND, which is one of the worst films I have ever sat through. I don't just say comments like that without some support of my answer, so I'll try to dig up some of my memories that I tried to repress of this truly horrific film...

When A BEAUTIFUL MIND was released I was in a huge hurry to see the film. I was excited to see Russell Crowe in a new role and the previews really looked awesome. I saw the supporting cast lineup and that it was being directed by Ron Howard, who at the time I wasn't a fan of, but he was on a hotter streak in his career. Anyway, I truly wanted to love this film...I did. I had every intention of loving this film and as the film progressed I find myself fully engaged in the story and was swept away. That was, until I felt like a 'sucker'! A sucker I say! A true sucker! I fell for the crap....the entire thing was a farce. A joke. The second half of the film emotionally takes you to a place of phony decent. Then, as if our emotions are invaluable, the film turns again into this so-called heartfelt tidal wave with the sweeping music score pouncing away and the slow-motion camera movements to really conjur up emotion that at this point was dead....the film killed it about 30-minutes ago when it basically told us that everything we have seen is a joke. I've tried to forget as much of this film as I possibly can and I remember being in theaters as the people around me seemed to cheer and clap at the end of this film and I had to restrain myself from jumping up and yelling at the sheep to sit down...they all fell for the lie of this film and sadder yet...they were fine with it. Again, my problem with Hollywood in general is that it honestly tries to 'think' for us and it's caused us to become numb to our own senses. We need to take Hollywood back!

Suspended

Y'all are a bunch of sissies. Us Texas cowboys don't cry over movies for Pete's sake!
    Quote Originally Posted by PS
    I suppose it's fair to say that I become emotionally attached to films.
    There are a few hot babes here I'd like to become physi...err... emotionally attached to!

I'm outta here!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Y'all are a bunch of sissies. Us Texas cowboys don't cry over movies for Pete's sake!
    But you'll cry if your dog runs away.

There are a few hot babes here I'd like to become physi...err... emotionally attached to!

Send some this way. It's warm up here for a couple more months. They'll be ok. I'll send them down when it gets cold again.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

JSE

I'm outta here!

What he said!!!! Texans don't cry unless we spill our beer, or like G'man said, our dog runs away.

I'm not sure I get moved to tears but here's a few I get a warm feeling about:

Payback (Mel Gibson) the part when he shoot the laggage and says "your making me all misty"

Magnum Force (Clint Eastwood) "hey punk, now your thinking did I shoot 5 times or 6, you feeling lucky"
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    What he said!!!! Texans don't cry unless we spill our beer, or like G'man said, our dog runs away.
    I've got that problem *licked* too JSE. All you have to do is play the song backwards... the dog comes back, your wife comes back, your house gets rebuilt after the fire, and your front teeth replant themselves back into your gums (hope you're not from Ft. Worth)

I've got that problem *licked* too JSE. All you have to do is play the song backwards... the dog comes back, your wife comes back, your house gets rebuilt after the fire, and your front teeth replant themselves back into your gums (hope you're not from Ft. Worth)
    I heard that you guys invented the toothbrush.

Suspended
    Yes. By a little company in Gunstock Texas. Small town south of D/FW.

Yes. By a little company in Gunstock Texas. Small town south of D/FW.
    There you go again. Shooting your mouth off..

Suspended
    When you find something you're good at, you stick with it! But there really is a town in Texas called Gunstock.

Okay, back on topic...

Party pooper.

OK, The Wizard of Oz. The part where they pinned a medal on the Cowardly Lion for bravery. It got me all choked up. Guess I'm just a cat person. Didn't care at all when Ol' Yeller got shot.

Throw in the end of Star Wars when Luke was about to get shot by Darth Vader and BAM! Hons blows away Darth's wingmen and saves the day.

Dam it GMichael and Rich-n-Texas for high jacking this thread

This was one problem that I had with A BEAUTIFUL MIND, which is one of the worst films I have ever sat through.
    Anyway, I truly wanted to love this film...I did. I had every intention of loving this film and as the film progressed I find myself fully engaged in the story and was swept away. That was, until I felt like a 'sucker'! A true sucker! I fell for the crap....the entire thing was a farce. A joke....the film killed it about 30-minutes ago when it basically told us that everything we have seen is a joke.
    Wait a minute PS, you might be going little bit too fast!

The first half of movie was shown thru the eyes of a person that was schizophrenia. It showed how a paranoid person see his or her world. Although scientifically it might have not been accurate, but it was a glance at world of hallucinations.

Then as movie progressed to reality, the audience felt what main character was going thru and how he dealt with imagination and reality. And I thought Ron did a good job connecting both worlds.
    Last edited by Smokey; 06-20-2007 at 05:56 PM.

Okay, sometimes I'm a softie... Tears o' joy

I sometimes get a little misty eyed at some films, but lets be clear here, the man said "tears of joy" not SADNESS! That narrows it down considerably for me.

1. It's a wonderful life - Every year it get's me. But the end of that movie I'm a blubbering fool.

2. Shawshank Redemption - Sometimes ya catch a break, just sometimes.

3. Boogie Nights - When Don Cheadle's character finally catches a break (out of tragedy) and remakes his life.

4. Scrooged - Bill Murray "get's it". I love it when a light bulb comes on.

5. Never been kissed - For every boy that never went to the prom every girl that never got a date in High School.

5. Revenge of the Nerds - "There's a lot more of us then there are of you."

6. Varsity Blues - You can walk away from the Dark Side, sometimes.

7. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - There's a little of Mr. Nourie (sp) in all of us.

8. Groundhog Day - Murray "gets it" again and learns that theres more to life than being a prick.

9. Four Weddings and a Funeral - Hugh Grant, sometimes I do just love this guy.

10. About a Boy - Hugh Grant again, the bastiche.

Da Worfster

Dam it GMichael and Rich-n-Texas for high jacking this thread
    Hey, we brought it back unharmed.

Worf you old softee, you need to change that avatar to a pic of Winnie the pooh...lol

Varsity blues was a interesting choice, I identified more with Friday Nights Lights ( the TV version) I grew up in city that had 1 HS for years and Football was everything. And I was 1 of maybe 7 blacks on the whole team and most of us played major roles. I too went through the same feelings, of being cheered on the field and left on the outside after the games.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information