Forum Regular

movies about musicians (an observation)

We finally got around to seeing Walk the Line last night, which I found to be mostly flat (albeit despite the best efforts of Reese Witherspoon). I don't think the AV Club was far off the mark when they characterized it as "another one of those life-of-an-entertainer films that reduces an artist to his most embarrassing moments." But the performance scenes-- especially the opening sequence-- were exhilarating! This got me thinking-- even in bad musician biopics, the music scenes tend to be filmed with a verve that the rest of the film doesn't match. Beyond the Sea was (in my opinion) a disastrous mess, but whenever Kevin Spacey is singing, it's mesmerizing; one of my favorite scenes in recent history is a New Year's Eve private party performance in the Temptations TV movie, which doesn't come close to greatness in most of the rest of its running time. Does anyone else find this to be true? Why does the excitement rarely seem to spill over into the narrative?

-Coop

You don't post much but when you do.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Cooperberg
    We finally got around to seeing Walk the Line last night, which I found to be mostly flat (albeit despite the best efforts of Reese Witherspoon). I don't think the AV Club was far off the mark when they characterized it as "another one of those life-of-an-entertainer films that reduces an artist to his most embarrassing moments." But the performance scenes-- especially the opening sequence-- were exhilarating! This got me thinking-- even in bad musician biopics, the music scenes tend to be filmed with a verve that the rest of the film doesn't match. Beyond the Sea was (in my opinion) a disastrous mess, but whenever Kevin Spacey is singing, it's mesmerizing; one of my favorite scenes in recent history is a New Year's Eve private party performance in the Temptations TV movie, which doesn't come close to greatness in most of the rest of its running time. Does anyone else find this to be true? Why does the excitement rarely seem to spill over into the narrative?

-Coop
    you do! Interesting thread. I think the performances are what save most music biopics. You mentioned one of my faves. "The Temptations" miniseries was eerie. The actor playing David Ruffin (the lead singer) was so dead on it was frightening. I saw them live on the Sullivan show it was amazingly accurate. Same feeling I got watching Busey in the Buddy Holly story. The performances SAVE music biopics without a doubt.

Da Worfster

Interesting observation.

For the most part, I'd have to agree. Walk the Line was very so-so. Witherspoon was brilliant by all accounts, but the story failed the performances. The difference between this movie and the one it will be invariably compared to, Ray, is cavernous. Ray not only had invigorating musical performances, but also a story line that pulled you into Charles' life. The reason is that Fox was Ray Charles while Phoenix was an actor portraying Cash. Never in WTL did I feel like I looking through a window watching Cash's life unfold before me. I was always aware that I was in a theater watching actors.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I actually enjoyed this movie about as much as "Ray". But I wasn't impressed by that movie as most, I guess. I found most of the Biography type shows I've seen on Ray Charles reveal more about the man, and are much more redeeming.
    I think the biggest difference between Cash and Charles being played by these actors was that the audience "knew" Ray Charles (or at least thought they knew/understood him). Cash was more of a mystery to most people. I didn't think Phoenix did a bad job at all. I'm just not sure I found his version as believable. But when I ask myself what could have been better, I really don't know. Fox played Charles to my expectations perfectly. I'm not sure I knew what my expectations of Cash were. For me, this aspect made the movie a bit harder to get into.

Good points, KC. Fox had a bit of an advantage over Phoenix in that Jaime is actually a trained and accomplished pianist in his own right. Did you know he actually had to audition for Ray before he was given the job? How stressful must that have been ?!?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Didn't know that TS...That's something else. I just acquired a bit more respect for Jaime Foxx. Talented man, that guy. To be honest, I liked him in Collateral better. Stole the show from Cruise. In fact, Cruise's act was only believable because of the stress and fear from Foxx's character.
    Underrated movie, IMHO.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Well I agree that musician biopics often portry the musicians downsides (drugs, sex etc) but to be blunt their lives are not important enough in the grand scheme of things. I buy a musicians music because I like the music -- if a film is being made about them great, but these people are not exactly nobel prize winners for the most part.

I think people like movies where the artist has a downside and then "triumphs and overcomes" and turns it around to be a star. That is the part of the movie that audiences like. And Walk The Line and What's Love Got to Do With it certainly fall into this camp.

Walk the Line and most ofthese films mix in their music enough to keep the pacing. I enjoyed Walk the Line even though I have never owned a Johnny Cash cd in my life. The Film got me to buy a cd. I enjoyed Walk the Line more than Ray because Walk the Line didn;t overstay its welcom IMO. Ray needed another go through in the editing room to cut down the repetiveness of the "drug issue."

Forum Regular
    if there are any beatles fans out there check out a flik called backbeat.it came out sometime in the early 90's and it follows the boys as a Hamburg,Germany bar band when they were still struggling to make it.it really is about the story of Stuart Sutcliffe the first bass player and how his life interacted with the band.it's british and well worth checking out,if you can find it.
    thanks
    bill

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    You don't post much but when you do.....
    Thanks; I'm pretty new to this board but I've been trying to make a point to stop by more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    You mentioned one of my faves. "The Temptations" miniseries was eerie. The actor playing David Ruffin (the lead singer) was so dead on it was frightening. I saw them live on the Sullivan show it was amazingly accurate.
    Yeah, I agree that he was very convincing. That one moment in which he appears out of the crowd for the first time to grab the mic feels earth-shattering.

-Coop

Thread Information