Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Movie trailers will never be the same...

R.I.P. Don Lafontaine.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...,4646300.story

I picked this quote up off of his web site. It somehow seems very appropriate for today...

"When you die, the voice you hear in heaven is not Don's. It's God trying to sound like Don..."
    - Ashton Smith -

Suspended
    In a world... where audiophiles rule, the n00bs stand no chance, until...
    (Just my own little tribute to the voice of the industry)

Aging Smartass
    I tried to break into the world of voiceover, spending a small fortune putting together a voiceover demo CD which I sent out to dozens of producers and talent agents, all with no results. I greatly admire success stories like that of Don laFontaine, and know another voiceover actor who is the exclusive person selected by Clint Eastwood for all of his films. This man is a former brother-in-law of my wife who works out of his house, and while not as hugely successful as laFontaine, he's not too far behind.

Another famous voiceover actor from the 50's and 60's was the late, great, Alexander Scourby. Scourby did the voiceover for most of the exhibits at the New York World's Fair ('64-'65) and thousands of commercials.

It's a tough business, but to those who succeed, it's a very rewarding one. We've lost someone special with laFontaine's passing, that's for sure.

I tried it, too, e, with the same impecunious result. Hard, competitive business, to be sure...I kinda miss Mel Blanc m'self....

Lafontaine had a great staccato delivery not unlike John Facenda (NFL Films). I would love to have a killer voice like that.

Yeah....I'm no jock (kin ya tell?), but Facenda and the stirring soundtrack get me in a deep place when I watch 'em....

Thread Information