Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy Most disturbing movies you ever seen.

Disturbing mean the kind of movies that stay with you for days because it was so weird or sad, and had evoked strong emotions. Couple of movies from top of my head:

Midnight Express (1978): Make one think twice about smuggling drugs from another country.

Osama (2004): Tale of a girl posing as a boy in Afghanistan to find a job and feed her family. Not a movie for light hearted.

Goofellas (1990): Somebody is about to get whacked.

Fargo ( 1996): This movie is definitely a “Cold” one.

Malcolm X ( (1992):Always standing firm, even when facing death.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Also some of my favorites

Scarface (chainsaw scene)
    Silence of the Lambs ( Anthony Hopkins perfomance)
    Jaws ( the crabs eating her head really freaked me)

People are jaded now, but I distictly remember in '75 people running from the theater during Jaws.

The only movie I've seen that I have scars from. My date grabbed me so hard she drew blood! ( eye-missing head popping out of hole in boat scene)
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

I was thinking about doing a thread like this some time ago. The most disturbing movies off the top of my head would be: Kids, Requiem for a Dream, Happiness, and Frailty. I saw Kids when an undergraduate and I just couldn't believe what I saw. Then me and my friends gleefully and liberally quoted from the movie for months: "it's okay Jenny, it's me Casper." Yes, we're sick bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Disturbing mean the kind of movies that stay with you for days because it was so weird or sad, and had evoked strong emotions.
    Seven
    Exorcist
    Million Dollar Baby

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Two immediately come to mind.

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover. - this film was like a bad car wreck. It repulsed me yet I couldn't stop watching. When it was over, I felt violated and wanted to take a shower. The mood it left me with stuck around for days. I've never been able to bring myself to watch it again although I'm curious as to whether it would have the same effect on me the second time around.

Boxing Helena - Left me with a similar feeling as expressed above. At least this one had some good funny/sarcastic moments to ease the tension. Still disturbing to think that this could possibly happen (sort of).

Silence of the Lambs was another one that left me feeling uneasy for days afterwards.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Happiness, Kids, I know what you did last summer. Rain slickers scare me.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Forum Regular
    One that comes to mind for me right away is American History X (the scene where he catches one of the guys after they try to rob from him) -- It still sends chills down my spine when I watch that!

Another would be The Butterfly Effect that I watched earlier this week (the scene where the kids go into the area where the wrecked cars are and one fella has the fire going) -- I certainly wasn't expecting that one!

Aging Smartass
    Firmly planted at the top of my list is the 1970, Ken Russell film, "The Devils." Rightly called, "the most scathing indictment of the Catholic Church ever put on film," it portrays (as only Russell can!) the true story of a Roman Catholic priest (Oliver Reed) who is falsely accused by a hunchbacked nun (Vanessa Redgrave) of having possessed her. He is tried, found guilty, has his legs smashed, is dragged through the streets of Loudon, and is burned alive. Sounds pretty horrible doesn't it? It is horrible, but so brilliantly filmed, it remains at the top of my list of all-time favorites too.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Exorcist hands down. Ever see the specials they show on the making and show the lines at the movies and the people coming out of the middle of the movie? I was there in the middle of it all. It was freaking strange. We came out of the movie{we made it to the end} just like you see those kids on the special.
    Look & Listen

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Requiem for a Dream...brutal.

Kam
    Bad Lieutenant: UR version

man they really got teh title right on that one... he was one bad lieutenant.
    /create

Exorcist - For obvious reasons

Platoon - My friends and I all felt like we had just been released from active duty after this. Simply exhausting.

Kids - Come again? Who's taking care of me in my old age?!?

Poltergeist - The first PG13 rated movie, and for good reason. Kinda campy now, but the original release scared the beejeezus out of me when I was a kid.

Shindler's List - We'd all heard of it. We'd all read about it. Now we saw it. I literally cried.

"Squeal like a pig!"

Deliverance. I still can't look at Ned Beatty wthout thinking about that movie.

Jaws - couldn't swim in the ocean for months.
    Poltergeist - wasn't expecting it. thought it was more of a sci-fi movie till the end.
    Deliverance (thanks Markw) I had almost recovered till now.
    Face off - yick!
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Thanks guys for movie suggestions.

As it is evident from list of movies, it seem to be a thin line between disturbing, suspence and horror movies. I guess all three elements needed to be present to make it a memorable and emotional movie.

Btw, good call on Delieverance and Jaws

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Two immediately come to mind.

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover. - this film was like a bad car wreck. It repulsed me yet I couldn't stop watching. When it was over, I felt violated and wanted to take a shower. The mood it left me with stuck around for days. I've never been able to bring myself to watch it again although I'm curious as to whether it would have the same effect on me the second time around.

Boxing Helena - Left me with a similar feeling as expressed above. At least this one had some good funny/sarcastic moments to ease the tension. Still disturbing to think that this could possibly happen (sort of).

Silence of the Lambs was another one that left me feeling uneasy for days afterwards.
    Yeah, same here on those first two, especially The Cook, etc. I'd rather see Sherilyn Fenn with all her limbs. Have you seen Gothic? The plot attracted me because I was into the Romantic poets at the time. Unfortunately, the movie wasn't as good as it could have been but it was disturbing. I think the bad car wreck analogy applies.

I've always preferred Manhunter over Silence of the Lambs. I thought the investigating and detecting aspects were developed better in Manhunter.

Forum Regular
    Anybody seen Hostel?

:0
    I can take what’s being given
    I can down whatever comes
    I will do what you deem necessary
    My fear compels me

Forum Regular
    I saw Hostel. Pretty extreme gore for an American film. The Japanese films it draws on for inspiration are pretty brutal too; Audition, Ichii the Killer, etc...

Easily the most difficult-to-sit-through film I've ever seen was one by Gaspar Noe called Irreversible. The film opens with a low rumbling tone coming through the speakers that supposedly was supposed to be so low as to physically upset the audience's stomach. I've read that it didn't work because most theaters' sound systems were unable to replicate the frequency properly, but it's about the only attempt at shock in the film that isn't successful. The next 90 or so minutes include the most realistic killing I've ever seen on screen, pulsing strobe lights, extremely unsteady camera work, thumping club music, and the centerpiece, a twenty-minute unbroken-shot rape scene. At the time, Newseek called it "the most walked-out-of movie of the year."

Another one that leaps to mind is Funny Games by Austrian director Michael Haneke. Lots of painfully unbroken shots and sudden unexpected moments of depraved brutality in that one too. I just saw his new film Caché, and it seems like he's mellowed a bit, although that one has its disturbing moments as well.

My stomach always turns at the opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan. I suppose war films have the potential to be the most disturbing of all. Especially WWII... has anyone seen Night & Fog? The warehouse full of hair in that film always sticks in my mind as a vividly distubing image.

-Coop

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Cooperberg
    Easily the most difficult-to-sit-through film I've ever seen was one by Gaspar Noe called Irreversible. The film opens with a low rumbling tone coming through the speakers that supposedly was supposed to be so low as to physically upset the audience's stomach. I've read that it didn't work because most theaters' sound systems were unable to replicate the frequency properly, but it's about the only attempt at shock in the film that isn't successful. The next 90 or so minutes include the most realistic killing I've ever seen on screen, pulsing strobe lights, extremely unsteady camera work, thumping club music, and the centerpiece, a twenty-minute unbroken-shot rape scene. At the time, Newseek called it "the most walked-out-of movie of the year."
    Hey Coop - I've heard that tone referred to as "the brown note". It was the subject of a South Park episode and an episode of Mythbusters. Some theorize that it makes you lose control of your bowels! I've always thought that if there was any truth to it John Waters would have tried it. Speaking of John Waters and disturbing films, how about Multiple Maniacs, Female Trouble, and Pink Flamingos?

David Lynch's Eraserhead is another disturbing film.
    Last edited by dean_martin; 02-11-2006 at 09:51 PM.

Forum Regular
    The U.S. military was actually developing a weapon based on the "brown note" a few years ago. If I recall, the theory was actually proven to be sound.
    I can take what’s being given
    I can down whatever comes
    I will do what you deem necessary
    My fear compels me

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

No, but something similar

Quote Originally Posted by caniac
    The U.S. military was actually developing a weapon based on the "brown note" a few years ago. If I recall, the theory was actually proven to be sound.
    The device is a "sound cannon" and can direct an incapacitating SPL in a focused direction. The intended use for non-lethal crowd control to disperse angry mobs. It turned out to be effective, but was still a failure as it causes permanent damage to hearing.

A more recent weapon is the microwave gun. It causes incapacitation by a burning pain, but it appears to be non-permanent in nature, at least in the testing phase.

Oh, Eraserhead was a very disturbing film too.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

I found "The Pledge" pretty moving,but the one film that occupied my mind for a long time is "The Child I Never Was". Between 1962 and 1966 four schoolboys were tortured and killed in Germany's Ruhr District.This film is about their tormentor, Juergen Bartsch 15 when he started 19 when he was caught, and how his upbringing would contribute to him becoming a serial offender.
    In my mind reality also hits much harder then fantasy.

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caniac
    Nope. Mythbusters proved it was a myth but if i remember some felt a tad sick to the stomach but not throwing up sick.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular

Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Disturbing mean the kind of movies that stay with you for days because it was so weird or sad, and had evoked strong emotions. Couple of movies from top of my head:

Midnight Express (1978): Make one think twice about smuggling drugs from another country.

Osama (2004): Tale of a girl posing as a boy in Afghanistan to find a job and feed her family. Not a movie for light hearted.

Goofellas (1990): Somebody is about to get whacked.

Fargo ( 1996): This movie is definitely a “Cold” one.

Malcolm X ( (1992):Always standing firm, even when facing death.
    DEVOUR

Forum Regular
    My disturbing movies:

1. 9mm (Nicholas Cage) - one very disturbing movie about snafu.

2. Ring - just one scene -- if you've seen it then you know which.

3. Exorcist - scariest movie ever - new additions were just as disturbing (aka spider walk)

4. Most recent one - Million dollar Baby - Depressing is the right word here, not disturbing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information