Last time you had a sense of "Wonder and Awe"...

If you love film as I do, there've been times you've left the theatre with a sense of awe and wonder. That feeling that you've just witnessed something "extraordinary". For some it was "Star Wars', for others "CE3K", for others still "The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad". This doesn't have to be limited to "Sci Fi" or "Fantasy". For some "Titanic" filled the bill, for others "How the West was Won". What movie or movies left you dumbstruck upon leaving?

Worf

Suspended
    The Deer Hunter

Saw this film in the theater while I was dating my wife when we were about 17. We went with her parents but luckily did not sit together.

The conversation on the way home was quite interesting for sure....

I never saw this side of Nam, only what Life Magazine printed and the skewed info we get from our own government controlled media.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    The Deer Hunter

Saw this film in the theater while I was dating my wife when we were about 17. We went with her parents but luckily did not sit together.

The conversation on the way home was quite interesting for sure....

I never saw this side of Nam, only what Life Magazine printed and the skewed info we get from our own government controlled media.
    The Deer Hunter: great example, Hyfi. One of my all-time favorite movies.

The same year (1978) saw the then much acclaimed Coming Home which impressed me very little. The next year saw Apocalypse Now, a great film but a ultimately too surreal; as a human story The Deer Hunter appeal to me much more.

Platoon and Full Metal Jacket, which came much later, were better, maybe more realistic, "soldiers" movies but for me they lacked the "wonder and awe" of Deer Hunter.

Good subject

For me it was Jurassic park. History suddenly came back to life, in vivid color.

Before that, Scarface.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    For me recently it was Avatar, then recently with Hugo in 3D.

When I saw Polar Express in 3D, I was also blown away.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

The first movie that gave me that feeling was Forbidden Planet. It's very dated now with what seem like hokey effects. It was however the first movie that effected me that way.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Children of Men.

I started that movie knowing nothing about it at all, and by the time it was over I was awestruck at the horribly frank (and possible) reality it posed. I would recommend it to anyone.

Forum Regular
    For my part, definitely Avatar in 3D! Totaly blown away :-)

Kam
    aside from the technical ones mentioned, (and i'd agree that seeing the polar express in imax 3d was really something else, and avatar too) but i've grown into being wondered and awed by very clever storytelling and most recently, Midnight in Paris was the latest one i've seen that really impressed me with some clever as hell writing.
    /create

RGA
    Forum Regular
    The last film to do that for me was Pulp Fiction and Schindler's List in the early 90s.

There are great visual films but all the ones with heavy CGI always look like CGI and that makes them look fake unfortunately. LOTR and Avatar have great visual moments but they also have bash you over the head this looks completely fake and cartoonish moments. If they were better movies you could suspend disbelief but being mediocre means you get bored and you pick it like a scab.

Jaws and Raiders and E.T. The Spielberg era also provided the magic of the blockbuster. I will watch any of these with the fake looking shark and the now weaker visual effects over Avatar/LOTR any day of the week. Better story telling, acting, pacing, and some heart. It's a shame because Cameron made two of my favorite movies The Terminator (a great love story) and Aliens. Weaver as Ripley blowing up some Aliens - gotta love it. What a wasted performance in Avatar - geez. Talk about a ploy merely to get some star power. Funny that Cameron with less money was a much better director - he was forced to rely on a script and story telling and "heart." He also managed it in T2 - perhaps why it was so popular was that it had some heart and also had the effects.

Actually I could add T2 to the list. My expectations at the time were high - I was in my teens and I remember being excited to see it and walked out not disappointed. At the time the special effects were amazing - a liquid terminator - how cool was that?

Suspended
    "The Day the Earth Stood Still" from 1951 is the one that did it for me. It was the first sci-fi movie in my experience that didn't portray otherworldly visitors as strictly soulless, misshapen, evil world-conquerers. It opened my mind to the possibility that they could be just like us, with the same fears and flaws that we have. It became my benchmark for sci-fi watching from that point on.

"Hugo" struck me emotionally in places I didn't even know I had, paticularly in 3D in the theatre. It isn't too bad in 2D Blu-ray at home, either.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    "Hugo" struck me emotionally in places I didn't even know I had, paticularly in 3D in the theatre. It isn't too bad in 2D Blu-ray at home, either.
    That's funny, my friend discribed it as "2 hours and 6 minutes of my life that I'll never get back" it's like you two saw different movies.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System