Memorable Female Villains

A female villain is sometimes called a villainess, but her action could be as deadly or cruel as male villain counter part.

Not in any particular order:

Louise Fletcher (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest): Nurse Ratched delights in the mistreatment of her patients, through coercion and intimidation.

Faye Dunaway (Mommie Dearest): A biography of Joan Crawford, it depicts the abusive and traumatic adoptive upbringing of her daughter and people around her.

Kristanna Loken (Terminator 3): Schwarzenegger found his match.

Ziyi Zhang (Rush Hour 2): She could have kicked Chris Tucker’s butt, but script took the easy way out.

Bette Davis (What Ever Happened to Baby Jane): Jane (Bette Davis), a successful child star, cares for her crippled sister Blanche thru hate and revenge.

Kathy Bates (Misery): Probably Bates best performance.

Margaret Hamilton (The Wizard of Oz): Her role as Wicked Witch of the West is legendary.

Glenn Close (Fatal Attraction): A married man's one night stand comes back to haunt him.

Lucy Liu (Kill Bill Vol. I): Codename Cottonmouth, she kill her own subordinate when he called her "a half-breed Chinese-Jap-American bit*h".
    Last edited by Smokey; 06-18-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Cruella DeVille in 101 Dalmations. I have to say the cartoon version because I didn't see the live version with Glenn Close.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    From a different angle......

Natasha Henstridge as Sil in "Species".
    I'd post a pic of what makes her memorable in this role but I'd probably getted banned from AR.......

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Cruella DeVille in 101 Dalmations. I have to say the cartoon version because I didn't see the live version with Glenn Close.
    The live version had Glenn Close being just as wicked as the cartoon. I loved the live action one a lot!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    For me, after Kathy Bates, it's a huge dropoff..I agree with FA, Cruella DeVille was wicked evil, and also the nasty witch/queen from Snow White scared the hell outta me as a kid.

Animation does a much better job with female villains than motion pictures it seems.

Gloria Swanson as Norma Desmond might be considered from Sunset Boulevard - helluva performance if not outright villainesque.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I liked Tilda Swinton in The Chronicles of Narnia. My oldest boy and I watch it. It's the Chronic....what!?!....cles of Narnia!!

In the Broadway production Wicked the wicked witch was just a misunderstood sweetheart who happened to be green.

Thanks Everybody

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Natasha Henstridge as Sil in "Species".
    I'd post a pic of what makes her memorable in this role but I'd probably getted banned from AR.......
    You teased us, so might as well post it. Plus, PoppaC is moderator and have heard he is very liberal

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Animation does a much better job with female villains than motion pictures it seems.
    That is probably true as great [live] female villians seem to be too far in between as compare to males. And I think that might be due to general concession in Hollywood that playing villans might be more degrading for female actresses than male actors.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    You teased us, so might as well post it. Plus, PoppaC is moderator and have heard he is very liberal
    Yes I will officially declare my position on nude pics. They are good. Thankyou and goodbye.

How about Julie Newmar...

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Linda Fiorentino in The Last Seduction. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_seduction/
    Attached Images Attached Images  

(Smokey@quote)
    That is probably true as great [live] female villians seem to be too far in between as compare to males. And I think that might be due to general concession in Hollywood that playing villans might be more degrading for female actresses than male actors.

"Smokey I seconded that (Analogy) IMO its becoming a problem, in "general" lots of Actresses don't think they been done right by Hollywood in that regards??!!
    subsequently that's some nice pictures posted by you guys, and I love that (One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest) is on top of this lists, as its one of the best came out of Hollywood. nurse Ratchet (Louise Fletcher) she was Brutal
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano
    Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
    (....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
    produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    For me, after Kathy Bates, it's a huge dropoff...
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by kex
    Quote Originally Posted by The SmokeyOne
    That is probably true as great [live] female villians seem to be too far in between as compare to males. And I think that might be due to general concession in Hollywood that playing villans might be more degrading for female actresses than male actors
    Such as the most unfortunate casting of Talia Soto as "Vampirella"?
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    How about Julie Newmar...

Oldy, but a goody

Speaking of Catwoman, Michelle Pfeiffer as catwoman was definitely considerd for this thread, but IMO her peformance was not too memorable.

The movies PoppaC (The Chronicles of Narnia), RGA (The Last Seduction) and Bobsticks (Vampirella) mentioned I haven't seen yet. So will add them to my wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by winston
    "Smokey I seconded that (Analogy) IMO its becoming a problem, in "general" lots of Actresses don't think they been done right by Hollywood in that regards??!!
    I really think playing villains in general might be too risky-might be even more so for female actors. If her performance is too memorable or create alot of buzz, she might end up being type cast.
    Last edited by Smokey; 06-21-2010 at 04:40 PM.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    NNoooooooooo!!

Smokey...seriously...you don't want to add "Vampirella" to your wish list. It's that bad.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Thread Information