Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Favourite Christmas movie?

What's your favourite Christmas movie?

I'll name my top three...

Elf - I was never a fan of Will Farrell until I saw this movie. I watch it every year and laugh like it's the first time I've seen it. He is brilliant in this otherwise totally predictable, feelgood holiday film. Bob Newhart should also get honourable mention for his role as Papa Elf.

A Christmas Story - What's not to love about this movie?! "You'll shoot your eye out!". Another one on our annual watch list. One of the TV stations runs a 24 hour marathon of this movie over Xmas eve and day. We sit down and watch it from start to finish at least once during this period.

Scrooged - Bill Murray in one of his best roles IMO.

Polar Express
    T.S.O. DVD
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    A Christmas Carol 1984 - George C Scott.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Miracle on 34th Street. I like the original movie best. She was a cynic who changed when she received her Christmas miracle. I am still waiting for mine and growing more cynical.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

It's A Wonderful Life, and A Christmas Story...... I loved the movie long before I moved to Cleveland.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation...I can watch that every year without failure. Starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Randy Quaid..how can you go wrong?

A Christmas Story is up there too.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Elf- Hands down, one of the funniest movies related to Christmas. "Your an ANGRY Elf"
    It makes me laugh every time I watch it.

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation- FUNNY.

I also watch snippits of Charlie Brown Christmas.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

REINDEER GAMES anyone?

I like GREMLINS, EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, BAD SANTA, and other non-conventional Christmassy movies.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny p
    It's A Wonderful Life.
    Am I the only one who doesn't like this movie? Personally, I think that everyone was having a lot more fun in Potterville without boring old George Bailey around. Potterville is my kind of town!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Am I the only one who doesn't like this movie? Personally, I think that everyone was having a lot more fun in Potterville without boring old George Bailey around. Potterville is my kind of town!
    I can't bring myself to watch this movie. No matter how good it was done, it depresses the h.ll out of me.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    REINDEER GAMES anyone?

I like GREMLINS, EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, BAD SANTA, and other non-conventional Christmassy movies.

I love Bad Santa.... many don't...... but I do. I love when the kid opens the Advent Calendar thing, and pulls out an Aspirin (I believe) and Billy Bob Thornton says "they can't all be winners kid"

GREAT!

Suspended
    (1) It's a Wonderful Life
    (2) Miracle On 34th Street
    (3) The Bishop's Wife

Still Groovin' to the Oldies!

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I also really dislike this film.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

This is probably a guilty pleasure, but enjoy watching the movie Jingle All the Way with Schwarzenegger, Sinbad and late Phil Hartman. Not withstanding a very disappointing ending, the movie is a funny Christmas comedy

Forum Regular
    IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. This film is really an american epic. I think it is the best XMAS Twilight Zone episode Rod Serling never wrote. And thinking of the Twilight Zone, how about NIGHT OF THE MEEK with Art Carney as Santa Claus. And this one is on black and white video tape rather than film.

It's A Wonderful Life
    The Bishop's Wife (the old one with Cary Grant)
    The Christmas Story
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Count me as one of the people who think Bad Santa is a riot, although I can watch it any time of year.

I also indulge a side of me that is non-existant any other time of year...the musical.

I watch White Christmas (I have Bing's Merry Christmas album).

My favorite version of A Christmas Carol is Scrooge, a musical starring Albert Finney as Scrooge. It has at least three decent songs in it, and is very surreal seeing people singing and dancing in a rundown Victorian London. This movie does have some creepy moments in it, which is more any other movie version can say. Its the only version I care to see actually. This story has been done to death, what with all the really bad TV sitcom spins that's been drug out year after year, but I can still cozy up to this one. All other versions of A Christmas Carol get on my nerves.

I dislike all the Santa Clause (Tim Allen) movies. I can take or leave Will Ferrel, so I'm not much of an Elf fan. A lot of other Christmas movies get on my nerves as well, as does most every Christmas episode of every TV show or sitcom.

JSE
    Christmas Vacation and A Christmas Story. Two of my favorites. I can watch them every year and never get tired of them. To this day, I still say fragile as Fra-geel-lay.

I watch Christmas Vacation about once every other month or so.... It's hysterical, and only a straight 90 minutes or so.... that seems like it's over too soon! I sent out pictures of the kid in front of the X-Mass tree when we were picking it out, and the email had one simple message "it's not going in the yard"

I wouldn't be more surprised if I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet.

Another vote for Bad Santa in a landslide. What a brilliant movie. It's so much more than the obvious crudeness. Zwigoff's great at making us feel the human side of marginal/awful characters. Underrated director. I like that it had a weird sweetness and humanity to it, but never pulled a single punch. It's been too long since I saw this, I need to see it again.

I like watching Trading Places around the holidays too.

But traditional, moralizing Xmas flicks? No thanks.

Home for the Holidays? I think that's what it was called. Robert Downey Jr. was hilarious.
    -------------------------
    Quad CDP-2
    Quad 99 Pre
    Quad 909 Amp
    Quad 21L Mains
    Quad L 2 Sub (used on occasion for 2.1)
    JW Audio Cryo Nova, Nebula and Jumpers

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Hmmmmmmmm

In no particular order..

Miracle on 34th Street (The original-still love the court scene when John Payne uses the letters to "certify" Kris Kringle)

A Christmas Story (I "Double Dog dare you" to not like that one...)

NL-Christmas Vacation (I made you a jello mold dear.....)

not sure if it qualifies as a movie but since versions of it were mentioned here... as a kid (Yes despite the moniker here I have not been a kid in many years..... I always liked the Mr.Magoo version of a "Christmas Carol". Bad animation I know but probably the first version of the classic tale I saw, the faceless form of Death at the end seemed scary to me at the time.

1. Home alone
    2. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    3. Friday After Next
    4. snowman
    5. The Santa Clause
    I Perfer To Feel Bass On My Chest Then Not To Feel It At All

Forum Regular
    I just watched Elf on the local cbs station here. I have seen ELF before, but this time it was in HI-Def. I really enjoyed watching this film. The colors were stunning of the uniforms both Will Ferrell and all the others were wearing. When you are 7 ft away from a 50 inch screen with a gorgeous hi-def picture, you get a feeling of "looking into the movie", something I have never received from even a standard defintion big screen or small screen television and even in a big screen movie theater. Take for example when Will Ferrell is pouring maple syrup and a whole other assortment of crap on his plate of spaghetti. All that detail is lost on standard def, but you can't help laughing seeing all that detail on high-def. Just about every scene in hi-def catches your attention. Believe me that I had tears in my eyes near the end of the film and again it was due to the hi-def broadcast.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I have grown tired of the classics, so my new favorites are The Grinch that stole Christmas with Jim Carrey playing the grinch. And my new favorite of all time...Polar Express. Polar Express is an excellent movie on both bluray and HD DVD, but the real way to see it is in 3D IMAX. Thats a movie EVENT!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs