Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    15

    Red face Favorite Westerns

    Many people like westerns . Few are made today. They cover a time in american history that we all seem to enjoy watching. My favorite being THE SEARCHERS. I met John Wayne when i was a kid and always enjoyed his movies. I would like to read about fellow audio fans who like westerns!

  2. #2
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    10,176
    I like Westerns a lot. For modern day have you seen Apaloosa? I really liked it. As to my favorites, here are some from my movie collection:
    You can't go wrong with John Wayne, I have the Searchers, Rio Bravo, Dean Martin is great in that as well, Big Jake and True Grit. I wouldn't mind adding The Shootist.
    I love The Outlaw Josie Wales, and, High Plains Drifter, which adding the thriller element makes this a stand out movie. I could see me adding Hang 'em High some day or Joe Kidd.
    Silverado
    Riding With The Devil, another very good modern Western
    I haven't bought American Outlaw yet but enjoyed it a lot, again modern.
    I grew up watching Westerns with my dad and there are many I like but don't remember the names of them. Seems like Westerns aren't on today like back then. Oh man..... who can forget Shane? Remember the Bronson Western with the Samurai? You had to get me started

  3. #3
    Close 'n PlayŽ user Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Highway 6, between Tonopah and Ely
    Posts
    2,318
    Deadwood. It's got the whole package, the best western ever.

    Outlaw Josie Wales
    Jeremiah Johnson
    Unforgiven
    Little Big Man

    The Coen Brothers remake of True Grit is excellent, far better than the Glen Campbell version. Might be my favorite movie of 2010.

  4. #4
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    15
    Another great set of Westerns to look to watch are the 1950s james stewart movies. NIGHT PASSAGE,WINCHESTER SEVETY THREE, and such. He was a master at good guy verses bad guy acting. The newer 3:10 TO YUMA is well made. I tend to like old western music or movie sound tracks. sons of the pioneers, tex ritter, marty robbins. Native american music and james horner sound tracks are good too. i also like the beatles and moody blues. THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR BEST MOVIES

  5. #5
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    6,852

    Another plug for...

    ....
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

  6. #6
    Forum Regular luvtolisten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    526
    I'll be your 'Huckleberry"-Tombstone. Not a Val Kilmer fan, but he was good in this one.

  7. #7
    Suspended Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    3,959
    James Garner said that he still receive royalty from this 1969 film. Very fun movie.


  8. #8
    3LB
    3LB is offline
    cunning linguist 3LB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,737
    The Cowboys - great coming of age story. A clumsy premise (teenage boys in a cattle drive) is made plausible with great script and direction. Sure, most of the kids are inexperienced at acting, but their "deer in the headlights" look works for the task at hand, and gels towards the end of a perfectly paced movie.

    The adults in the movie are pitch-perfect. John Wayne once again epitomizes old west justice and integrity. Its the same role he always played, but it was also a recurring character in westerns and no one played it better. Roscoe Lee Brown, with his jazz-tinged, thespian staccato entact, might seem out of place but with such a pivotal role, they needed to cast someone who could hold their own w/ Wayne and Brown does just that. Then there's the most loathable villain in film history, Bruce Dern, who conveys more menace with a parting glare than a page of dialog could. Its the only time the bad guy has ever put Wayne in a palpable sense of danger (in a movie) to my recollection. I saw this as a kid, the conclusion of the showdown twix Wayne and Dern made me shudder.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

  9. #9
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127
    Westerns have been getting better -- i.e. on average, given fewer have been made in recent years. Or is this just my impression?

    Anyway, some of my favorites over the years have been:
    • The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948; is it a western? Yes!)
    • High Noon (1952)
    • A Fist Full of Dollars (1964)
    • Once Upon a Time in the West (1968; more spaghetti please!)
    • Little Big Man (1970)
    • McCabe & Mrs. Miller, (1971; Julie Christie = so hot back in the day)
    • Dances with Wolves, (1990; damn right I liked it)
    • Unforgiven (1992)
    • True Grit (2010; 'way better than the orignal)

  10. #10
    Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,483
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    The Cowboys - great coming of age story. A clumsy premise (teenage boys in a cattle drive) is made plausible with great script and direction. Sure, most of the kids are inexperienced at acting, but their "deer in the headlights" look works for the task at hand, and gels towards the end of a perfectly paced movie.

    The adults in the movie are pitch-perfect. John Wayne once again epitomizes old west justice and integrity. Its the same role he always played, but it was also a recurring character in westerns and no one played it better. Roscoe Lee Brown, with his jazz-tinged, thespian staccato entact, might seem out of place but with such a pivotal role, they needed to cast someone who could hold their own w/ Wayne and Brown does just that. Then there's the most loathable villain in film history, Bruce Dern, who conveys more menace with a parting glare than a page of dialog could. Its the only time the bad guy has ever put Wayne in a palpable sense of danger (in a movie) to my recollection. I saw this as a kid, the conclusion of the showdown twix Wayne and Dern made me shudder.
    If you remember Bruce Dern plays a great bad guy in "Hang Em High" with Clint Eastwood. Which segways me to one of my all time favorites "The Good The Bad and The Ugly"
    Also a couple of lighter films "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and Maverick.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

    HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

  11. #11
    3LB
    3LB is offline
    cunning linguist 3LB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    If you remember Bruce Dern plays a great bad guy in "Hang Em High" with Clint Eastwood. Which segways me to one of my all time favorites "The Good The Bad and The Ugly"
    Also a couple of lighter films "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and Maverick.
    Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid is definitely in my top 3. I didn't really like the Maverick movie. I did like the remake of The Quick & The Dead, even though I got kinda sick of Sharon Stone a long time ago.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

  12. #12
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    58
    There was so many good ones; but here's my list...

    1. Highnoon
    2. The man who shot Liberty Valance
    3. Rio Bravo
    4. Fort Apache (John Ford)
    5. The War Wagon

    So many more,could name a bunch.

  13. #13
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Home Of The Fighting Gamecocks
    Posts
    1,702
    Sam Peckinpah's "The Wild Bunch"

  14. #14
    Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Lower AL
    Posts
    2,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    [*]Once Upon a Time in the West (1968; more spaghetti please!)
    Yes^^
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •