• Nosferatu: The Vampire (1980)

0 0%
  • Interview with the Vampire (1994)

0 0%
  • Ganja and Hess (1973)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Favorite Vampire Movie...

Ok, so what's everyones favorite vampire flick....

I can't possibly mention all of them in the poll, and I excluded the ones that were really bad like UNDERWORLD, BLOODRAYNE, VAN HELSING, etc , but if those are your favorites than mention it!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I voted for Bram Stoker's "Dracula". I could have liked "Interview with a Vampire" if only Tom Cruise had not been in it. Maybe they will remake it without Cruise. I also liked the "Queen of the Damned". An interesting take on vampire movies was "Lost Boys". The movie did not follow traditional vampire behaviors.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I voted for Bram Stoker's "Dracula". I could have liked "Interview with a Vampire" if only Tom Cruise had not been in it. Maybe they will remake it without Cruise. I also liked the "Queen of the Damned". An interesting take on vampire movies was "Lost Boys". The movie did not follow traditional vampire behaviors.
    Good call on LOST BOYS, there just wasn't enough room in the post and I thought NEAR DARK was a bit better, SALEM'S LOT also missed the list.

I don't remember the name of it, but I like that one where this guy goes around biting people on the neck.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Some pretty good ones in there. I also liked Copolla's Dracula too. Especially the scenes with Oldman and his wayward shadow in the castle. Great stuff.

But I chose the hight concept "Shadow of the Vampire" with Willy Dafoe as the creature and a drug addled John Malkovich as director FW Murnau trying to make "Nosferatu" with a real vampire cast as the vampire. It's extremely clever and a festival of intense over-acting. Dafoe was robbed for the supporting-actor Oscar that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Some pretty good ones in there. I also liked Copolla's Dracula too. Especially the scenes with Oldman and his wayward shadow in the castle. Great stuff.

But I chose the hight concept "Shadow of the Vampire" with Willy Dafoe as the creature and a drug addled John Malkovich as director FW Murnau trying to make "Nosferatu" with a real vampire cast as the vampire. It's extremely clever and a festival of intense over-acting. Dafoe was robbed for the supporting-actor Oscar that year.
    This film went over many peoples heads, which is to be expected since it was semi-insider on the movie industry and more importantly the story behind NOSFERATU, F.W. Murnau, and the controversy over Max Schrek. On a side note, this film is in desperate need of a new transfer as the one from the 2000 Universal release on DVD is horrid. Dark, blotchy, and a mess! I hope that the HD formats will release this soon.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Great Poll...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I'm gonna cosign JM's post in its entirety while at the same time agreeing with Troy that
    "Shadow of the Vampire" was an extremely clever film. For another leftfield pick I'll throw in "Vampire's Kiss" with Nick Cage and Maria Conchita-Alonzo. Coming at the beginning of Cage's career (shortly after "Valley Girl") "Kiss" is more of a black comedy than a true vampire tale, a bit of the disenfranchisement of the urban proletariat dealio, with some hilarious if not slightly obtuse moments.

I didn't mind "Underworld" at all, but sometimes I don't require a lot of depth to be entertained--and when Kate Beckinsale is in latex I really require no depth at all.

Am I the only one that thought Michael Madsen struggled against laughter the whole way through the ridiculously miserable "Bloodrayne"?

NP:

Suspended
    My vote goes to the one that set the standard for every vampire movie to follow: Lugosi's Dracula. Most of the conventions that we now take for granted (garlic, cross, wooden stake, no reflection) were established by this ground-breaking flick. And to this day, I don't think that any vampire movie has equaled the tension-filled atmosphere of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyY51
    My vote goes to the one that set the standard for every vampire movie to follow: Lugosi's Dracula. Most of the conventions that we now take for granted (garlic, cross, wooden stake, no reflection) were established by this ground-breaking flick. And to this day, I don't think that any vampire movie has equaled the tension-filled atmosphere of this one.
    Well, have you seen NOSFERATU? Considering it was made in 1922, and that people actually thought that the lead actor Max Schrek really was a vampire, it was clearly a realistic film that still to this day is amazing.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Well, have you seen NOSFERATU? Considering it was made in 1922, and that people actually thought that the lead actor Max Schrek really was a vampire, it was clearly a realistic film that still to this day is amazing.
    I agree. I have seen Nosferatu and it creeped me out big-time. It was an amazing performance (if it was a performance) but one that would have been very difficult for anyone else to emulate, given Mr. Schrek's unique physical characteristics. Lugosi made it possible for a larger gene pool of actors to aspire to celluloid vampirism.
    Last edited by RoyY51; 11-28-2007 at 07:22 AM.

For once I must agree with him...

Good call on LOST BOYS, there just wasn't enough room in the post and I thought NEAR DARK was a bit better, SALEM'S LOT also missed the list.
    "Near Dark", and the original "Salem's Lot" CBS miniseries are superior to almost every film on this list. My nod has to go to "Salem's Lot". Never had a movie so clearly shown a vampire's thirst for children and never had I seen children float from the grave to infect other children. The vampire itself was a horrific looking beast who oozed malevolence and made your skin crawl whenever he was on screen. Men died, heros died, women and children died while the priest failed and the police headed for the hills. Jamie Glicks mother rising from the gurney as David Soul recites the Lords Prayer in an effort to bless his makeshift crucifix. A vampiric student returned to his former teachers home, rocking and rocking while he waits. Chilling beyond words, I'm getting goosebumps just writing this.

Da Worfster

Forum Regular

Vampires

Underworld 1 & 2 Blade 1 & 2

Good suggestions.

May be Fright Night should also be added to list of best of vampire movies.

Although the movie is slightly cheesey and predictable, but the special effects are awesome. And excellent performance by Roddy McDowall as the vampie killer.

a few pix...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Favorite Vampire Movie...-nosf_moc_05.jpg   Favorite Vampire Movie...-nosf_moc_10.jpg  

Good Poll.

Of those listed, Blade, although my nod really goes to LifeForce, an '80's scifi/zombie/vampire flick that puts a fun twist on the 'ol vampire legend. Plus the chick was hot.

Roger Vadim made a vampire movie with his third wife Annette Von Stroyberg (spelling, doubtful) called Blood and Roses. My God, she is a beautiful creature! And I like that puppy with Catherine Denueive, Susan Strasberg, and David Bowie. What was the name of that? P Skies?
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Quote Originally Posted by jim goulding
    Roger Vadim made a vampire movie with his third wife Annette Von Stroyberg (spelling, doubtful) called Blood and Roses. My God, she is a beautiful creature! And I like that puppy with Catherine Denueive, Susan Strasberg, and David Bowie. What was the name of that? P Skies?
    THE HUNGER.

Wow!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Good Poll.

Of those listed, Blade, although my nod really goes to LifeForce, an '80's scifi/zombie/vampire flick that puts a fun twist on the 'ol vampire legend. Plus the chick was hot.
    So YOU'RE the other person that saw that flick besides me? What a mess of a movie, but I couldn't turn away.

Da Worfster

Excellent...

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    May be Fright Night should also be added to list of best of vampire movies.

Although the movie is slightly cheesey and predictable, but the special effects are awesome. And excellent performance by Roddy McDowall as the vampie killer.

The first time I saw this flick I almost chit myself, good catch. And who knew that the female lead would one day grow up to be the annoying Marcy on "Married With Children".

Da Worfster

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    So YOU'RE the other person that saw that flick besides me? What a mess of a movie, but I couldn't turn away.

Da Worfster

Hey they showed that film on campus when I was in college. I can't really recall much except there was a strong sexual element to it that after a particular scene that escapes my aging mind a young lady grabbed my hand and back to her room we went. Now that I remember... and always attributed it to the movie.

As for the poll I would say from the actor stand point I would go with the guy from Nofestru but from a movie stand point (I know this is cheesey) but I have a soft spot for the made for TV movie Kolchak-The Night Stalker w/ Darren McGavin. It had that vampire in modern times take 10 years before Anne Rices books hit the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Hey they showed that film on campus when I was in college. I can't really recall much except there was a strong sexual element to it that after a particular scene that escapes my aging mind a young lady grabbed my hand and back to her room we went. Now that I remember... and always attributed it to the movie.

As for the poll I would say from the actor stand point I would go with the guy from Nofestru but from a movie stand point (I know this is cheesey) but I have a soft spot for the made for TV movie Kolchak-The Night Stalker w/ Darren McGavin. It had that vampire in modern times take 10 years before Anne Rices books hit the scene.
    Kolchak is without a doubt one of the greatest shows ever produced, so it comes as no surprise that it gets mentioned every now and again, it's a shame more people are not aware of this shows capabilities, although the DVD set is a must for any curious mind.

I was hoping the new Night Stalker series would be good, but aside from a little digital trickery with Darren McGavin showing up in pilot, it was terribly disappointing. The original series used to scare the bejeezus out of me when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    I was hoping the new Night Stalker series would be good, but aside from a little digital trickery with Darren McGavin showing up in pilot, it was terribly disappointing. The original series used to scare the bejeezus out of me when I was a kid.
    You should check out GANJA and HESS if you haven't already seen it.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I pulled Near Dark and Lost Boys off the shelf this weekend. I have to agree with you. I hadn't watched either in a long time. Near Dark didn't seem as dated or as cheesy as Lost Boys. My main issue with Near Dark before sitting down and watching it again was whether the Tangerine Dream soundtrack was going to be obviously 80's and dated. It seemed that way in only one scene. The soundtrack nicely juxtaposed (or maybe complimented?) the desolate "western" setting. I enjoy watching Bill Paxton when he's given free reigns to go a little nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    I pulled Near Dark and Lost Boys off the shelf this weekend. I have to agree with you. I hadn't watched either in a long time. Near Dark didn't seem as dated or as cheesy as Lost Boys. My main issue with Near Dark before sitting down and watching it again was whether the Tangerine Dream soundtrack was going to be obviously 80's and dated. It seemed that way in only one scene. The soundtrack nicely juxtaposed (or maybe complimented?) the desolate "western" setting. I enjoy watching Bill Paxton when he's given free reigns to go a little nuts.
    Exactly and this is one of the marks you might say of a truly great film, it's ability to date itself well even after many years, this is what makes movies classics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information