Resident DVD Reviewer

A DVD REVIEW: THE WARRIORS (Paramount)

"Waaaaaaa-----reeeeeeee----ooooooors------come out to plaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyeeeeeeeeee........."
    -David Patrick Kelly, The Warriors

If you ever wondered why your ******* friend put beer bottles on the ends of his fingers, clicked them together and muttered these words....well.....The Warriors is it.

Can you believe that I wasnt exposed to this 1979 Walter Hill classic until pretty recently? A fellow cinema/home theater buff friend of mine, back when I resided in Long Island, New York, had me over one night to watch this DVD and I was immediately hooked --- my God, is the acting awful in this, and the story is simply hollow.....but there is something about it that has absolutely made it a no-holds-barred underground cult followed classic of sorts.

Based on a novel by Sol Yurick, Walter Hill's The Warriors opened to waves of related gang violence specifically in the New York City area due to the subject matter in the project; watching it today, this subject matter seems laughable, but back in 79, it created problems among street gangs who, much like in the spirit of The Fast and the Furious, took the film too much to heart and attempted to emulate what they witnessed on the screen. There is great underground controversey regarding the hysteria this film caused upon its release amongst the gang culture of the city at the time.

Michael Beck (whose career pretty much went down the toilet with Xanadu) somewhat "leads" this cast of characters known as The Warriors --- the baddest gang in the New York City area, hailing from the Coney Island section of Brooklyn, one of the boroughs of New York City. From the opening moments of the film, we are drawn into this world Hill attempts to expose us to, as we see The Warriors, clad with their leather sleeveless vests, hop on a New York City subway train and discuss going to a meeting set up by a gang leader named "Cyrus" and his "Grammercy Riffs"--- the biggest gang in the city --- in the Bronx, another borough of New York City. As The Warriors converse amongst each other on the train, and the opening score accompanies shots of the underground world of the New York City subways, we are also exposed to the many, many hundreds of other strange gangs that are coming to this meeting --- including "The Baseball Furies" (a gang that dresses up in New York Yankee uniforms, dons face paint and swings baseball bats), "The Turnbull ACs", and a host of other wild looking street gangs some of which even roll around on roller skates and some who look like mimes, face paint and all. From the beginning, we get the sense this is a strange world Hill is bringing us into. As being an ex-New Yorker, though, I have to say.....I have never seen the New York City streets so empty and un-populated as in this picture, as it seems only the gangs reside in the boroughs. And something else that always bothered me about this film.....you would think one of these guys in the gang would --- knowing their lives were on the line being chased by hundreds of street gangs --- come up with the idea of stealing a car to get back to their neighborhood with instead of lurking through other gangs' neighborhoods, just asking for trouble.....but I guess we wouldnt have a story then......

The Warriors (Beck, along with James Remar and a host of others) make it to the meeting in the Bronx, where hundreds of other gangs have already gathered, waiting to hear the great "Cyrus" of The Grammercy Riffs, speak. Cyrus' plan is to call a truce to the gang violence going on so there is more control over their neighborhoods, but a rival gang in attendance, the Rogues, lead by a demented David Patrick Kelly (Commando, Dreamscape), decide that Cyrus needs to be taken out for his views --- and so Kelly shoots Cyrus right there at the gang truce meeting, but pins the blame on the Warriors. As the police arrive to break up the gangs, the Warriors are now on the run --- from the cops and ALL the other gangs in the city who have been instructed by the Riffs to hunt them down and take them out for killing Cyrus. The entire film then concentrates on the Warriors' encounters all throughout this one night with rival gangs as they try to "bop" (fight) their way back to their Coney Island home turf in one piece. The acting is pretty atrocious here, but thats not what you'll be watching The Warriors for; there are some pretty decent fight sequences here, one of which apparently took a week or so to film correctly.

First, The Warriors escape a run-in with The Turnbull ACs, a skinhead-looking gang wielding chains and hanging off a small school bus-turned-gang-mobile; they then run into a strange retarded-looking bunch called "The Orphans," who apparently werent at the meeting in the Bronx because they're so "far off the gang circuit".....as The Warriors attempt to make it through their neighborhood, they are confronted by the leader and a loud-mouthed chick who hangs out with their gang. After getting away from The Orphans, too, and now in possession of their "girl," the Warriors get into more altercations, including a run-in with the baseball bat wielding Baseball Furies who chase them down to a hand to hand fight which is pretty greusome and ends up with the Furies getting their asses handed to them by The Warriors, as well as James Ramar being tricked into sitting with a lone woman (Mercedes Ruhel) on a park bench who ends up being an undercover cop when he attempts to rape her. At this point, most of the gang is broken up and finding their own way in small groups, still trying to get back to Coney Island; part of the gang meet up with a group of girls that call themselves "The Lizzies" and who end up pulling knives and guns on them because they are "in" on the order by the Riffs to kill the Warriors in revenge for killing Cyrus-----all the while, David Patrick Kelly and the Rogues are loving the fact that they killed Cyrus and set the Warriors up for the murder.

The last big "fight" sequence in the film is the one that reportedly took about one week to film, and comes when Beck and his Warriors meet up with some guys on roller skates wearing denim overalls who confront them in a subway station --- and its pretty great as we get some slow motion shots of these guys beating the living **** out of each other and getting thrown through mirrors and such. The Warriors do in fact make it back to Coney Island by daybreak, but they find the Rogues waiting for them for hand to hand combat --- and what the Rogues didnt count on was the Grammercy Riffs ALSO being there on the beach in Coney Island and discovering that they, the Rogues, were in fact responsible for killing their leader Cyrus.....not good.......

This film has definitely found an underground cult fan following, and I was among the last to join that list, but what a ride it has been as I have watched this title multiple, multiple times since owning it. From what I have read on DVD rumor sites, there is a Special Edition of this title in the works for a Fall release, I believe, but this report can be sketchy, as Buena Vista has been promising a Special Edition of Crimson Tide for years, as well. Let's take a look at what Paramount offers for their DVD release of this Walter Hill classic, which is part of their self-proclaimed "Widescreen Collection."

VIDEO SPECIFICATIONS:
    WIDESCREEN VERSION ENHANCED FOR 16:9 TVs

With a stab in the dark at the ratio, which is either 1:85:1 or 1:78:1, the print used for this DVD transfer, I must say, was in awfully good shape. Honestly, I couldnt find much to compain about --- if anything at all --- about the DVD transfer of Paramount's The Warriors; mostly clean from start to finish, and filling my screen with no letterboxing, for a film of this age it certainly was an impressive effort by Paramount. Sure, we're not talking Finding Nemo-like quality here, but for the most part, I didnt detect any grain, noise or shadow detail defects. Some end parts of the film get a slightly bit granier and dirtier than scenes that came before it, but I really couldnt find anything to complain about on this transfer.

AUDIO SPECIFICATIONS:
    ENGLISH DOLBY DIGITAL MONO, FRENCH DOLBY DIGITAL MONO, ENGLISH SUBTITLES

Here's a 2.0 mono mix that simply lacks punch (save for when there is music in the mix or when Joe Walsh's "In The City" comes crashing on in the end) and is going to require an AWFUL lot of amplification to get going; while low on distortion for the most part, and hiss, which is ALWAYS a plus on a mono track, there was a lack of power here that was unsettling....dialogue was hard to make out until you cranked the volume way up, and that dialogue always seemed to be competing, as it always does on mono tracks, with the music and effects going on----obviously because all the audio is struggling to get out of one speaker (if you play your mono mixes through the center as I have decided on). But gunshots were appropriately loud, and whenever music kicked on, as I said, the mono track jumped to some kind of "life"; dialogue just offered no satisfaction (as it seemed no matter how much amplification I fed this soundtrack it really didnt get appropriately loud enough) and it was a pity that with all the sounds of trains rushing through tunnels and the mad, crashing audio that accompanied those scenes, there wasnt some kind of 5.1 audio choice available because it would have made much better use of the soundscape than it all just coming from the center position. But, as I said, there IS a Special Edition rumored to be coming out, and this may indeed include a remixed 5.1 audio preparation.

In closing, I would have to say that I am definitely eagerly awaiting the Special Edition of The Warriors if it ever comes to fruition; with all the media hype surrounding the gang violence which accompanied this film's theatrical debut, mainly around the New York area, it could make for some seriously entertaining extra features on a Special Edition version --- not to mention the opportunity Paramount would have here to possibly remix this soundtrack for surround and update the rather boring packaging artwork; this version only came with a (very cool, John Carpenter's Escape From New York-like) theatrical trailer.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Way to go, Lex! Every once in a while you review a dvd release of a movie that actually interests me. Yes, The Warriors is dated, but I remember the impression it made on me when I saw the tv version in my early teens. The atmosphere it created wasn't quite as striking when I rented it on vhs years later. Nevertheless, I'm glad to see it's out on dvd. It would certainly be a fun one to own.

P.S. - Just a friendly word of advice that may seem too frank at first blush, but it's meant to be constructive: Be careful designating yourself as the official reviewer for any site without approval. I'm sure the administration is responsible for all official positions taken by representatives (as opposed to regular members) of the site. In general, every official position taken has the potential to affect advertising and to call into play any federal regulation which may apply. The site representatives are more than just hall monitors - they've taken on responsibilities that could affect the continued operation of the site if not exercised appropriately. The best way to retain your freedom of speech is to stay regular!

If you have been approved as the official dvd reviewer, then congratulations and please disregard my advice.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin

P.S. - Just a friendly word of advice that may seem too frank at first blush, but it's meant to be constructive: Be careful designating yourself as the official reviewer for any site without approval. I'm sure the administration is responsible for all official positions taken by representatives (as opposed to regular members) of the site. In general, every official position taken has the potential to affect advertising and to call into play any federal regulation which may apply. The site representatives are more than just hall monitors - they've taken on responsibilities that could affect the continued operation of the site if not exercised appropriately. The best way to retain your freedom of speech is to stay regular!

If you have been approved as the official dvd reviewer, then congratulations and please disregard my advice.
    No, your advice should be followed, as I have not received any announcement that this is indeed official. I think by including it in his signature, he is being just a little pretentious. As far as I know we have no official DVD reviewers
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Kam
    Way to go, Lex! Every once in a while you review a dvd release of a movie that actually interests me. Yes, The Warriors is dated, but I remember the impression it made on me when I saw the tv version in my early teens. The atmosphere it created wasn't quite as striking when I rented it on vhs years later. Nevertheless, I'm glad to see it's out on dvd. It would certainly be a fun one to own.

hey deano,
    i remembered this movie too and loved it when it i saw it as a kid and was surprised how well it stood up on recent viewings now. it had a very surreal and fantasy feel to it, very alice in wonderlandish as well. i remember putting bottles on my fingers (or trying to) and clinking them together as a kid and calling out the classic "warriors.... come out to plaaaaaaaay". they made it like such an adventure crossing manhattan as if it was like crossing the serengetti. so i am sure you will be as shocked as me to learn that yes, it is also being remade. it's in pre-production right now under the Scott Free banner with Ridley's brother Tony directing it. It might still get scuttled as its in very early preproduction, but right now, looks like its a go, unfortunately. and am sure with all the remakes being made, this one will find its way to the screen as well.
    /create

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    No, your advice should be followed, as I have not received any announcement that this is indeed official. I think by including it in his signature, he is being just a little pretentious. As far as I know we have no official DVD reviewers
    LMMFAO...........

Resident DVD Reviewer
    "Way to go, Lex! Every once in a while you review a dvd release of a movie that actually interests me. Yes, The Warriors is dated, but I remember the impression it made on me when I saw the tv version in my early teens. The atmosphere it created wasn't quite as striking when I rented it on vhs years later. Nevertheless, I'm glad to see it's out on dvd. It would certainly be a fun one to own."

Thanks for the kind words, Dean, and for reading the review of this underground classic. If you want to scoop up the DVD now, you can, but my inside sources tell me that a reworked, fully blown Special Edition is due out this Fall that will probably improve upon this original Paramount release's mono soundtrack and add some bonus behind the scenes footage......your thoughts?

"If you have been approved as the official dvd reviewer, then congratulations and please disregard my advice."

Thank you.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    hey deano,
    i remembered this movie too and loved it when it i saw it as a kid and was surprised how well it stood up on recent viewings now. it had a very surreal and fantasy feel to it, very alice in wonderlandish as well. i remember putting bottles on my fingers (or trying to) and clinking them together as a kid and calling out the classic "warriors.... come out to plaaaaaaaay". they made it like such an adventure crossing manhattan as if it was like crossing the serengetti. so i am sure you will be as shocked as me to learn that yes, it is also being remade. it's in pre-production right now under the Scott Free banner with Ridley's brother Tony directing it. It might still get scuttled as its in very early preproduction, but right now, looks like its a go, unfortunately. and am sure with all the remakes being made, this one will find its way to the screen as well.
    Yes, as far as I know this has been semi-greenlighted to go into production; the REMAKE of The Warriors; why I dont know, but the Special Edition of the original DVD release is due to coincide with the theatrical release of the remake, as per usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    hey deano,
    Yeah man, I remember the Baseball Furies, the Orphans, the Lizzies, those damn mimes, the roller skaters (or, were the mimes on skates?) and of course the leader of the Rogues. And Joe Walsh was soooo cool back then. That movie left some deeply rooted visions in my mind. I remember that surreal, fantasy feel to the film as well. Some of the silliness was more apparent while watching it years later, but that doesn't detract from my appreciation of something that left such a lasting impression. I'll be looking for the dvd the next time I'm out. In fact, the length of time between first seeing it and seeing it on vhs is probably the same length of time between seeing it on vhs and the present. (Does that make sense and is it even relevant?) Anyhow, it's time to revisit this flick.

A remake? Why, of course! That's a no-brainer, isn't it? Those studio guys are geniuses!

Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    Thanks for the kind words, Dean, and for reading the review of this underground classic. If you want to scoop up the DVD now, you can, but my inside sources tell me that a reworked, fully blown Special Edition is due out this Fall that will probably improve upon this original Paramount release's mono soundtrack and add some bonus behind the scenes footage......your thoughts?
    You're welcome. That one brought back some startling images, especially those baseball dudes! I'll probably pick up the cheap mono version that's out now, if I can find it. There's something about a less-than-perfect presentation of a less-than-perfect (but quirky) older film that appeals to me (as long as the soundtrack doesn't hurt my ears). It's nostalgia, I guess. I'm just the opposite when it comes to recorded music though. I can't explain it.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    You're welcome. That one brought back some startling images, especially those baseball dudes! I'll probably pick up the cheap mono version that's out now, if I can find it. There's something about a less-than-perfect presentation of a less-than-perfect (but quirky) older film that appeals to me (as long as the soundtrack doesn't hurt my ears). It's nostalgia, I guess. I'm just the opposite when it comes to recorded music though. I can't explain it.
    No------I can TOTALLY respect that viewpoint-----TOTALLY. SOMETIMES a certain soundtrack and presentation gives a CERTAIN OLDER film a better feel-----you are totally right. The mono track in certain circumstances, such as in the Friday the 13th films and perhaps Return of the Living Dead, which I recently reviewed, give the film a "Drive In Movie" kind of feel with everything coming from the front, so you are definitely right in that respect.

Sometimes, Im just curious as to HOW a 5.1 surround remix will end up coming out on older films.....and I was pleased with the DTS mix on JAWS and the Dolby 5.1 remixes of ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK and AMITYVILLE HORROR (which added thunderstorm audio sounds into the rear channels and was quite effective----just like on the 5.1 remix for HALLOWEEN).

Thanks again for your kind words, and yeah------those Baseball Furies MADE the film man! Those guys were wild! But The Warriors totally kicked their asses!

Thread Information