RGA
    Forum Regular

Goodbye Scotty - May your next Trek go well.

Canadian born actor James Doohan passed away today:

Redmond, WA (AHN) - Veteran actor James Doohan, "Scotty" of Star Trek, has passed away due to pneumonia and complications from Alzheimer's Disease.

Born March 3, 1920 in Canada, Doohan will be remembered most for his role in the television series "Star Trek" and the movie spin-off's developed from the show, along with the line, "Beam me up, Scotty".

Doohan fought in World War II, where he participated in the invasion of Juno Beach on D-Day as a captain with the Royal Canadian Artillery. In the battle, he lost the middle finger of his right hand.

He died at his home in Redmond, WA with his wife by his side."

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Canadian born actor James Doohan passed away today:

Redmond, WA (AHN) - Veteran actor James Doohan, "Scotty" of Star Trek, has passed away due to pneumonia and complications from Alzheimer's Disease.

Born March 3, 1920 in Canada, Doohan will be remembered most for his role in the television series "Star Trek" and the movie spin-off's developed from the show, along with the line, "Beam me up, Scotty".

Doohan fought in World War II, where he participated in the invasion of Juno Beach on D-Day as a captain with the Royal Canadian Artillery. In the battle, he lost the middle finger of his right hand.

He died at his home in Redmond, WA with his wife by his side."
    Oh man......I didnt even hear about this.......wow.....sad news for Trekkies......thanks for the news RGA.......sad news though........

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    RIP Mr. Doohan
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Unhappy Yeah...

Even though I'm not a big lover of Trek Classic, I remember watching the original Series on NBC the FIRST time they aired, (yeah, I'm THAT old) and the series holds a special place in my heart. The first model I built that didn't have wheels or a propeller on it was ole NCC-1701. Now I know how Deadheads felt when some of those guys in the Dead started dieing.... I'm not close to tears but I feel incredibly sad.

Da Worfster

I liked the tribute to Doohan I read this morning in the Washington Post. It starts out with:
    The real tribute to James "Scotty" Doohan, 39 light-years after he first saved the USS Enterprise's heinie (and did it many times over), is that it's now almost impossible to have a boyfriend or husband who can't do a somewhat reasonable impression of Doohan's famously stressed-out burr: "We've got nuh powrrrr, Cap'n!" Or "She cannuh take much moor."

Men say these things when copy machines are jammed. They say it about an overstuffed Diaper Genie, or a '91 Honda with an expired inspection sticker. The world is full of chief engineers, and oh, the things they could do, if they only had a wee more dilithium and a little more time. Ask your man right now to do some chore: He'll do it, but maybe not without some Scottytalk. (If you want to tick him off, ask him why he's doing Sean Connery.)

The rest of the article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...072002204.html
    My favorite Scotty joke is "Aye Cap'n, I dunnuh know if I can keep up this fake scottish accent much longer."

RIP Scotty

Kam
    If you haven't seen Trekkies, definitely check it out. The section where Doohan talks about the woman who sent him a letter saying she wanted to commit suicide, but didn't because he talked her into meeting him at the next Trek convention and then the next one, and next one.... and on and on is incredibly touching. What a great guy. He'll be missed.

peace
    k2
    /create

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

He's not really dead...

...there was just an irrevocable transporter malfunction...

jimHJJ(...he's everywhere...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

So long Scotty

You'll be missed. Gone, but not forgotten.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    This guy is a hero in more ways than one...I'm still shocked about reading how he took a bunch of bullets storming the beaches on D-Day in the war against Hitler, the tragedy is he's not remembered for his courage as much as his role in Star Trek.

Thanks for the memories, Scotty.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    I was just getting ready to pick up two relevant titles to this sad news; the original TV series complete DVD collection (Trek) and the complete box set of the motion pictures on DVD......this sad news came at a bad time......

First DeForrest Kelley and now Doohan.....

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Scotty was terrific in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. The whole sequence at the plastic glass factory where he tries to access the computer talking into the mouse - Just love it.

He had a nice part in an Episode of the Next Generation -- one of the better episodes in the series.

He lived to a good age, will be remembered and had a memorable impact on pop culture on a show that was ahead of its time as social commentary then redeemed by the fact that it's still cherished today.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    This guy is a hero in more ways than one...I'm still shocked about reading how he took a bunch of bullets storming the beaches on D-Day in the war against Hitler, the tragedy is he's not remembered for his courage as much as his role in Star Trek.

Thanks for the memories, Scotty.
    He reportedly lost a finger storming Omaha Beach on D-Day. I always enjoyed his quips and friendly demeanor during interviews. That he frequently took verbal jabs at Shatner only raised his stock in my view!

His last public appearance was a farewell event last year at a fan convention in Los Angeles. They reunited all of the surviving original cast members for that event, and Doohan said his goodbyes knowing that his Alzheimer's disease was advancing, and he would no longer be able to go out in public anymore. In a way, it might be a good thing that he and his family did not have to suffer through that condition for a prolonged period.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    "Scotty was terrific in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. The whole sequence at the plastic glass factory where he tries to access the computer talking into the mouse - Just love it."

Agreed.

"Computer? Hello computer.........??"

Factory Worker: "Just use the keyboard....."

Scotty: "Keyboard......how quaint.........."

Thread Information