View Poll Results: What do you consider when buying DVDs?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy dvd's for the story.

9 81.82%
  • Buy dvd's for the sound.

1 9.09%
  • Buy dvd's for the extras.

0 0%
  • Buy dvd's for the cover art.

0 0%
  • Buy dvd's because it's a Van Damme movie and you just have to.

1 9.09%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kam

Post DVD Purchasing Poll

So am curious as to the WHY that goes behind a dvd purchase. For myself, there is one huge primary concern, the quality of the story of the movie. That's pretty much it. Second to that is the extra's on the disc (behind the scenes, director's commentary, etc). Next is if it has a dts track and other 'technical' extras. But from what i've been gathering, people will buy discs based SOLELY on how good a soundtrack/mix the disc has even if they hate or dislike the actual movie itself. I also see that director's commentary etc. isnt big to the normal population (i.e. my non actor/director/writer friends). So what is the main, primary focus you look at when making a purchase?

Now this is not meant as a flame or picking on anyone at all, but just as a prime example from the Superman thread: Lex says he hated the later batman movies, and I agree. Now, say, for arguments sake, this wasnt coming out as a boxed set, but only available individually. And also, for arguments sake, lets assume the dts mix on Batman and Robin is even better than that on T3. Would you (meaning in general, not just lex) want to buy the movie anyway, just for the 'awesome' sound even if the movie sucks arse?

For example, i know that Pearl Harbor has some awesome visuals and sound mixing. I will never buy it. I know tora, tora, tora does not. I own it. I own two version of Donnie Darko, True Romance, and T2 because of the extra's and different cuts of the movie that became available. i'll seek out odd, old, hard to find dvd's (like Fortress (not the christopher lambert movie, but the australian one)) that are basically vhs/crappy transfers with barely pro-logic sound and pay more for those than brand new dvd's because i love the story. doesn't matter to me if it has dd, dts or heavy bass, as long as i can hear the people talking.

Now don't get me wrong, i do love good music and soundtracks, i love great effects and cool surround effects, but not to the exclusion of the story. i would never put in pearl harbor or T3 to demo my system or take with me to audition systems when i know of other discs that are equally as good and i actually enjoy watching.

So just curious what the peeps here find important when looking at a dvd purchase.

peace
    k2
    /create

You workin' on a thesis?

LOL. Story, I never would buy a movie for sound alone. Maybe extra's if I felt I needed to know the backstory of a film but I ain't run across that just yet. Interesting question why I buy what I buy.

Da Worsfter

Story.

I was surprised and amused that someone in the other thread would recommend moose piss like Pearl Harbor merely because it had good sound. Clarity of a horrid dialogue does not a good movie make. (Talking like Yoda now I am)

The Van Damme option was tempting, but I'm more a Segal fan.

Can't we have both? How about a good story with great sound? Throw in a few good actors while you're at it. Maybe even a little passion or a hot babe (or hot guy if that's what ya like).
    I have bought DVD's of concerts because the sound was great. Not much story though. I also have bought old Twilight Zone DVD's because of the story alone.
    Give me both+ please.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Definately the story. When I purchase a DVD I want to be able to watch it more than once. I'm not too picky so that helps alot. There has been alot of movies I've rented and would never purchase, excellent soundtrack or not. I'll usually even rent a movie I haven't seen before I buy it to make sure I'm not throwing my money away.

Forum Regular
    Well, a great sound mix and nice video transfer are important. But these issues are useless if the movie sucks. The thing is, the more beloved or special the film is, the better the treatment and features. Now, this is not always the case - great movies get overlooked all the time and never receive their just due. Bad movies are sometimes given all the bells and whistles to breathe new life into an otherwise underperforming or unpopular release. Bastards! They know we have home theaters and they know our weakness! "Hey, Pearl Harbor really sucked, but it looks and sounds better than other sucky movies!" I love and can appreciate a great soundtrack, but it can't carry a movie - okay, maybe it can a little... Doh! Did I say that out loud?

For purchasing, I weigh all of the above (well except for Jon Clod Van Damme). Often, I buy DVDs in lieu of going to the theater, and with stores like BB and Fry's offering up new releases for as low as $14, it's worth a try. But, my reason for watching any movie in the first place is for the story.

If I've already seen a movie at the theater, and I deem it worthy of rewatching/including in my DVD collection, THEN the other factors like the video/sound quality and extras come into play. Just as an example, I like Tim Burton's Batman, but I have not purchased the DVD because it's a movie-only title with a low bitrate DD soundtrack. Likewise, I have not bought Superman II or Blue Thunder because they came out in theaters with 70mm six-track prints, yet the DVDs only come with 2.0 soundtracks. With DVDs like these, with no extras and/or with just 2.0 soundtracks, the chances are pretty good that a special edition will come out at some point (Batman's due out in two weeks, Superman II and Blue Thunder are both rumored for special edition reissues next year). So, part of my buying decision is weighed against the probability of a new and improved version coming out at some point.

Other more obscure movies might never get a special edition reissue, so those movies I will likely buy if I really like he movie.
    Last edited by Woochifer; 10-05-2005 at 10:42 AM.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Definitely the story. But I have a confession to make. I don't have a multi channel setup. I intended to replace my integrated amp with an avr. I intended to buy a 2nd pair of my speakers and the center. But I started by adding a sub and an upgraded dvdp and the vast improvement was satisfying. Out of my 3 systems in the house and 1 in my office, this is the only one with which I'm content.

I think I've enjoyed the extras on only 3 of my dvds - Donnie Darko to find out what the heck I just watched, but the stills from the book of time travel were more helpful than the dreadful commentaries (I might splurge for the director's cut), Napoleon Dynamite - the original b/w short on which the movie was based is good and the extra scenes are funny, and Cinema Paradiso has the original theatrical release on one side and the extended version on the other. I've tried to listen to some commentaries but all the ones I've heard are boring and the commentators seemed to be searching for something to say. I appreciate movie makers when they are acting or directing. Unless they have some juicy tid bits about fights on the set or something I think they're better off doing what they do best - acting and directing not narrarating. I guess this is why I was attracted to those damn superbit titles - more disc space dedicated to the audio and video of the actual film.

I'll appreciate a Kazan or Fellini film on dvd that includes a well-made biography of the director. I would love a Leone film on dvd that includes a history of the entire spaghetti western genre. A Hammer or Universal horror film on dvd that includes trailers for their whole horror catalog would be great. Heck, a Toho Godzilla movie that includes trailers for ALL their Godzilla movies would be awesome! But I really don't need to hear how they dressed some guy up in a suit and told him to destroy a set full of miniatures. That's pretty obvious from the movie.

I haven't checked all the extras on all my dvds yet. (I've been meaning to watch the Fellini short films on the Criterion release of La Dolce Vita.)

OK, there is one exception to my disdain for extras. On my Christmas list is Family Guy - The Freakin' Sweet Collection. It's been out for a while. Apparently, Stewie and Bryan do the commentaries for a couple of episodes.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    I will have you know that I spend all of my extra money on copies of "Pearl Harbor". I just love the dialogue. Seriously, I recognize it was far from a great movie, but I just like something about that movie. Maybe I was hypnotized on set or something.

Really I buy Dvd's for all of the reasons listed in the poll.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Forum Regular
    That is a good point. There are just some movies you love because of cheese factor. And if it has stuff blowin' up and a good score, well, that makes it even better. Big budget B movies can be fun. Pearl Harbor is considered a reference disc (I believe I've read this) for sound quality. I still can't watch it without snoozing, but I completely understand where you're coming from.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Story. All the rest is on top of that. Really,most my DVD's i havent even watched the extra's as i dont care. Sound is next important. 90% of my DVD's are action,Sci-Fi or Horror because those i can watch over and over.
    Look & Listen

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I've NOT bought movies because of the story and sound etc more than I've consciously bougth them for the story or sound.

I rarely watch bonus features on even my most fanatic films. I find they just usually suck.

I hate movies with only Dolby Digital. (though these days I'm finding some very good DD soundtracks to be fair).

I'll pay more for widescreen and DTS, not an extra disc of crappy comments from the set cleaner.

Cool box/packaging doesn't really do much for me either, but if it's included I'm happy.

I try to only buy DVD's that I'll watch repeatedly over time. But I do own some I'm not proud of.

(no Van Dam or Pearl Harbour, but I do have a Dolf Lundgren flick that's pretty aweful)

I will say that i have the W of Oz and it does have some very nice extras, screen tests of different witches and little people,pretty interesting stuff. Thats how i buy,stuff i will watch over and over,J Bonds,Bourne's,Raiders,Ronin,replacement killers{very good},spider and X men/man,stuff like that i can always watch.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Superman II and Blue Thunder are both rumored for special edition reissues next year). So, part of my buying decision is weighed against the probability of a new and improved version coming out at some point.
    Blue Thunder was that Roy Scheider helicopter gig, right? I loved that movie! For the life of me, I've never understood why they don't replay it on any of the movie channels. Heck, I'd even settle for TNT or TBS every once in a while. If this movie is released and the sound is upgraded, I'm all over that!

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Blue Thunder was that Roy Scheider helicopter gig, right? I loved that movie! For the life of me, I've never understood why they don't replay it on any of the movie channels. Heck, I'd even settle for TNT or TBS every once in a while. If this movie is released and the sound is upgraded, I'm all over that!
    Did you know the "Gazelle" helicopter they used to build Blue Thunder really is capable of doing a loop. They should bring back the tv show too. I'm sure Bubba Smith could use the work.
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se

Quote Originally Posted by Defshep
    That is a good point. There are just some movies you love because of cheese factor. And if it has stuff blowin' up and a good score, well, that makes it even better. Big budget B movies can be fun. Pearl Harbor is considered a reference disc (I believe I've read this) for sound quality. I still can't watch it without snoozing, but I completely understand where you're coming from.
    I think most of my liking "Pearl Harbor" really just comes from remembering what it was like to have those old fighters flying right over you at 50' above the ground. The sound of those engines just sends a chill up my spine, in a good way.
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se

My dad remembered and he didnt like it at all.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Yup, that's the one! That was one of my favorite action pics when it came out. Seeing it on the big screen in 70mm was great, and I caught it multiple times that summer. The technology and privacy issues brought up in that movie have held up pretty well.

I've been waiting for a better DVD version to come out ever since I bought a DVD player. The current DVD version is a joke because it has a 2.0 Dolby Surround soundtrack (I'm not even sure if it's anamorphically enhanced for 16:9 TVs). This is all the more infuriating because Blue Thunder was shown in 70mm at several theaters, and any movie distributed for 70mm screenings has a six-track soundtrack available. No excuse for not going with a 5.1 soundtrack on the DVD.

Actually, Blue Thunder (as well as the first two Superman movies) gets played on A&E all the time. I just saw it on A&E last month.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Can't we have both? How about a good story with great sound? Throw in a few good actors while you're at it. Maybe even a little passion or a hot babe (or hot guy if that's what ya like).
    I have bought DVD's of concerts because the sound was great. Not much story though. I also have bought old Twilight Zone DVD's because of the story alone.
    Give me both+ please.
    Are we twins??? You took this right out of me brain.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Are we twins??? You took this right out of me brain.
    Maybe, was your dad red haired with a zillion freckles too? And does he have the meanest temper on earth?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Yup, that's the one! That was one of my favorite action pics when it came out. Seeing it on the big screen in 70mm was great, and I caught it multiple times that summer. The technology and privacy issues brought up in that movie have held up pretty well.

I've been waiting for a better DVD version to come out ever since I bought a DVD player. The current DVD version is a joke because it has a 2.0 Dolby Surround soundtrack (I'm not even sure if it's anamorphically enhanced for 16:9 TVs). This is all the more infuriating because Blue Thunder was shown in 70mm at several theaters, and any movie distributed for 70mm screenings has a six-track soundtrack available. No excuse for not going with a 5.1 soundtrack on the DVD.

Actually, Blue Thunder (as well as the first two Superman movies) gets played on A&E all the time. I just saw it on A&E last month.
    Without the peeping tom yoga scene, I'm sure!

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I said 'story'. But the truth is that I don't buy a lot of movie DVDs. I'm more of renter-person. Most of my DVD collection is concerts or music video collections. When I do buy a movie, it's usually a favourite movie that I just can't see too many times or a move that has personal meaning to me (I bought Wild At Heart because, aside from being a great movie, it was where my husband took me on our first date).

Even the music DVDs, I don't generally buy them just for sound. Although I might NOT buy something if it has crappy sound. I choose based on the band, the concert footage and the track list, which in a music DVD really is the story, in a way.

Maybe, was your dad red haired with a zillion freckles too? And does he have the meanest temper on earth?
    Brother!!!!!!
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Brother!!!!!!
    Mom told me about you but I didn't believe her. Who knew?!

Mom told me about you but I didn't believe her. Who knew?!
    LOLOLOLOL!!
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp