Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Blade Running into 2009

In the spirit of the bright and informed discussion of 2001, I thought that I would begin a new thread devoted to one of our all-time favorites, Blade Runner. This movie is one of science-fiction film's best, and is composed of elements that more than stand on their own: Soundtrack, cinematography, story....Some decry the acting in the movie, leveling many of their criticisms towards Harrison Ford, whose characterisation has been described as "wooden", etc. In either case, this movie packs a huge punch to many who watch it, and, as I said is one of my favorites....

Okay, guys, dig in....Should Blade Runner be called a classic? Why or why not? Who's got the beer and chicken....This is gonna take some talkin'!
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Haven't seen it yet it's on my to-see list

The soundtrack is very enjoyable, scored by Vangelis....

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    In the spirit of the bright and informed discussion of 2001, I thought that I would begin a new thread devoted to one of our all-time favorites, Blade Runner. This movie is one of science-fiction film's best, and is composed of elements that more than stand on their own: Soundtrack, cinematography, story....Some decry the acting in the movie, leveling many of their criticisms towards Harrison Ford, whose characterisation has been described as "wooden", etc. In either case, this movie packs a huge punch to many who watch it, and, as I said is one of my favorites....

Okay, guys, dig in....Should Blade Runner be called a classic? Why or why not? Who's got the beer and chicken....This is gonna take some talkin'!
    Which one are you talking about?

The theatrical release, directors cut, extra special directors cut, 20th anniversary edition,
    the one with the happy ending, sad ending?
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef

The theatrical release, directors cut, extra special directors cut, 20th anniversary edition,
    LOL, if that's the case I'll need a hint as to which one to watch first.

Well, actually, I was hoping that we'd kick things off "globally"--that is, in relation to the movie in general. Later, as we get into the nuts and bolts of the matter, we can discuss the various merits and foibles of the re-releases, directors' cuts, etc.

Here, let me start: Blade Runner is a science-fiction movie with a fim-noir twist...While Ridley Scott was clearly intending to transport his viewers to the seedy future-world of post-modern Los Angeles, the story and script could very well have been penned by Raymond Chandler.

As soon as I see it you'll have plenty of input

Kam
    i guess everyone has a fav version, but personally i loved the one that had Deckard's Voice over, which i think is the original theatrical version. the director's cut took the voice over out of the movie, which i didn't like. and the different endings which change certain meanings.

but the overall theme of what it means to be human, creating life, and the overal christian-related allegories in the movie (fallen angels, christ-symbolism, etc) i think are what makes the movie endure over time.
    /create

I agree with you about the voiceover: I like it, as it reminds me of the works of Chandler and Dashiel Hammett...

Now that's a point of view I never considered, Kam! Go with that a bit further: the Christian-related allegories....As an example, you refer to "fallen angels": are you saying that Roy (R. Hauer) was, as disgraced offspring, such a figure and therefore had a price to pay for his insolence? Hmmm...

JSE
    Man, if there was ever a thread to get TLADINY/LEX/PERV to make an appearance, this would be the one!

JSE sits with fingers crossed.

Those themes were also part of Phil Dick's book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" that the movie was based on. The story's about the meaning of life. Or rather, what constitutes life in a world where man can create sentient beings, and when those beings become superior to the humans that created them. The book comes highly recommended for anyone wanting to get even more out of this complex and cryptic movie. The story is as complex and deep as you want to make it: it can be a simple man hunt shoot-'em-up, or an allegory for some very deep concepts, and that's the key to it's popularity and longevity.

Yes, BR is an unmitigated genre classic. Frankly, I don't recall any movie / sci-fi fan that doesn't think so.

I prefer the Dash Hammet aspect of the voice-over-ed version too, but find the story is more coherent in the longer director's cut.

Syd Mead's art direction was brilliant, I wish he had worked on more movies.

I think that the book is a nice read for fans of the movie, but think that each stands on its own story-wise. Your and Kam's comments are intriguing in consideration of P.K. Dick's life, which--as I understand it--was wrecked by drugs and unslakable soul-searching. Stories like The Divine Invasion, The Transmigration of Timothy Archer, e.g., were peppered with religious references.

I arrived at a slightly different interpretation of BR. Like a previously discussed film/book, BR is (IMO) about what happens to man (or andy*) when he leaves his fate in the control of an unseen force? In the previous work, the force is extraterretrial, in BR the force is terrestrial but still aloof and afar (Tyrell)....

*andy: Dick's nickname for the replicants (humanoid robots); a shortened version of android.

Forum Regular

Better watch it properly then

You might as well get the 5 blu-ray disc edition which has all 5 versions of the film,
    including 80 minutes of deleted footage.

I've been meaning to get this edition, but it is normally sold out.
    Current System :

Xindak XA8800MNE Mono Block Power Amplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840E Pre Amplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD Player and DAC
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MK-II
    Pioneer DVR-640H (250 GB HDD)
    Foxtel Digital
    Samsung LCD 40in LA40M81BDX
    Sony PS 3 (source - CD/SACD/DVD/Blu-Ray)
    XLO Interconnects & speaker cables
    Sonos Wireless Music System

Upgrade Path :

1. Power regulation system

Mwa ha ha ha ha!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef

ROTFLMBBAO

Man, I'm cleaning the keyboard as we speak. Absolutely spot on!!

Da Worfster

Mmmm...

I've alway considered this a good movie but not a 'great" movie as far as I'm concerned. To me the test is if I HAVE to watch it, like "The Godfather" or "Apocaplypse Now". When those movies happen, I've no choice but to watch, no choice. BR I can take or leave. It DOES have some iconic film moments. Hauer's solliloquy is marvelous as are the images of the "undercity" and it's denizens. I sometimes find myself responding "have a better one". But be that as it may, I never felt for Ford's character or the girl. I was never engaged in a visceral or gut level and I'm a SciFi fanatic. Sorry, just the way it is.

Da Worfster

Kam
    i saw the christian allegories in a few ways:

the replicants were fallen angels as they were all created off-world and 'fell to earth'. with batty being the both savior and devil in one, as the chief of the fallen angels.

at the end, blatty puts the stigmata on his hand, piercing through his own flesh, with some heavy christ-symbolism there.

and just as in the ideas that "god created man and man destroys god", so is the same idea of "man creates replicants and replicants destroy man". (what Troy said too)
    /create

That's the problem with BR.

I really enjoyed the theatrical cut. I didn't go quite as deep as others in picking apart the movie to see what the true meaning of the film was.

That being said. I'm not sure that BR can ever be a "classic". I would be willing to consider the "directors cut" for being nominated as the benchmark.

However, that may not hold up, because that isn't the movie that most film viewers saw (aka the theatrical release).

So with so many variations of the movie, not to mention different endings, I don't think that BR can be a "classic" in the sense that say "Gone With the Wind" or "Sound of Music" will be.

Plus, I liked the B&W version filmed in 1927 with Charlie Chaplin. There were no voice overs, just some guy in the front with cue cards so everyone knew what the hell was going on. The rag-time piano was spot on.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

I'll concede that Apocalypse Now and Godfather are more developed character-wise is a near-given. While visually BR is a stunner, its characterization is inferior, maybe even comic-book-like. Seems that Scott shoulda taken a page from his Alien script and enrolled O'Bannon for the job, eh?

I agree with Worf. While I appreciate its ability to trasnsport the veiwer into the future with a high degree of realism, I'm not terribly compelled by the story and characters the way I was for a similar movie, E.I. That's a movie I have to see over and over.

As far as its artistic merit though, I'd say Blade Runner is a highly influencial film, and its influence is all over modern sci/fi, from the afore mentioned E.I. to Battlestar Gallactica. Blade Runner may not have invented the future-noir genre, but it does define it.

Suspended
    Okay now was this the movie with Wesley Snipes in it? He's a good actor... err...well... when will he be released from prison?

Ummm....No.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Okay now was this the movie with Wesley Snipes in it? He's a good actor... err...well... when will he be released from prison?
    You are thinking of BLADE Rich.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

(Psst. Don't encourage him, Beefy....He's just kickin' up the dirt to see if we'll play with him!)

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    (Psst. Don't encourage him, Beefy....He's just kickin' up the dirt to see if we'll play with him!)

On never knows around here. One man's stupid question is anothers...well dumber question.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Then again, where would we be if Newton or Einstein hadn't asked certain "stupid" questions, hm?
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information