View Poll Results: Best Star Trek Movie

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • ST: The Motion Picture (all hail VGER!)

    2 8.33%
  • ST II: The Wrath of Khan (Revenge is a dish best served cold...it's very cold in space)

    12 50.00%
  • ST III: The Search for Spock (nice robe buddy)

    1 4.17%
  • ST IV: The Voyage Home (Greenpeace meets Starfleet)

    3 12.50%
  • ST V: The Final Frontier (Spock has a brother???)

    0 0%
  • ST VI: The Undiscovered Country (Excelsior is BadA$$)

    4 16.67%
  • ST: Generations (I was saving the galaxy before you were born!)

    1 4.17%
  • ST: First Contact (OK, this one was almost good)

    1 4.17%
  • ST: Insurrection (You know, some Botox would tighten that right up!)

    0 0%
  • ST: Nemesis (Uh, what was the plot again?)

    0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    Suspended topspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,717

    Best Star Trek Movie

    With a new Trek movie coming from JJ Abrams and Wrath of Khan on HBO every other minute right now, I thought it would interesting to see what the esteemed members of AR(OK, everyone but maybe GMike and Rich...and maybe Beef ) thought about the orginals. Is it me, or are the even numbered movies far better than the odd?

    BTW, I hesitated to include the Next Gen movies because, well...they sucked. But in fairness, they are there for your amusement.

    Pick your fave!

  2. #2
    Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    640
    KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

    Although, I did like all the Shakespeare quotes in "Undiscovered Country"
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

  3. #3
    Sgt. At Arms Worf101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Troy, New York
    Posts
    4,288

    Pfft....

    Quote Originally Posted by eisforelectronic
    KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
    Dang it, ya beat me to it!!!

    Da Worfster

  4. #4
    THE GRAND ILLUSION Styx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    La Plata, MD
    Posts
    62
    I went with The Undiscovered Country.....more of a who done it theme. The Wrath of Khan was a very close second.
    Styx

    Main: Sansui G-7500, Technics SL-1700 (AT120E/Shure M97eX), Kenwood KD-2070 (Empire 5000HPT/Stanton 681EEE), Teac V-970X, Kenwood CD-206, Pioneer SR-303 & RG-9, Klipsch RF-3/EPI Magnus CD-55

    L/R: HK-3490, HK FL-8385, HK Bridge II, Polk Monitor 70, Polk PSW-110 (2)

  5. #5
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025
    Khan by a mile...I seem to be the only one who really, really enjoyed "Nemesis" and that'd be my #2, but of the originals, #6 and #3 would finish 2nd and 3rd respectively.

  6. #6
    Close 'n PlayŽ user Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Highway 6, between Tonopah and Ely
    Posts
    2,318
    I hit the wrong button, sorry.

    I accidentally hit "In Search of Spock" (Shoulda been called "In Search of Cash"). Terrible movie. Sappy as hell.

    I meant to hit the Whale Movie. Because it's just hilarious. I still say "Well, double dumbass on you!" to people.

  7. #7
    Suspended topspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,717
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Khan by a mile...I seem to be the only one who really, really enjoyed "Nemesis" and that'd be my #2, but of the originals, #6 and #3 would finish 2nd and 3rd respectively.
    Who's on first?

    Seriously, Kex, you liked Search for Spock?!?

    Man, I dunno....that's like saying you liked Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants. They replaced a hot Kirstie Alley (the Cheers version, not the Cheetos version) with some unknown, annoying actress and pulled the script straight out of Nora Roberts novella. You're destroying my image of you, pal!

  8. #8
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    6,852
    Not even close...Ricardo Montalban and his rich, Corinthian leather Kahn skin all the way.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

  9. #9
    Suspended 3-LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Hey! Over here!
    Posts
    2,746
    Kahn by a mile. I actually didn't mind The Search For Spock or The Voyage Home, but every other Trek movie disappointed me. Wrath Of Kahn is still a great movie and its a blast to watch the original TV episode then watch WoK. Montalban's Kahn is among SciFi's best villians ever. Better than Vader.

  10. #10
    Forum Regular Woochifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    6,883
    Hey Speedy -

    Good to see you dropping by.

    I'll go along with the consensus -- Wrath of Khan is a great movie at so many levels. One of the all-time great movie villains in Khan, very deep theme of mortality and the hubris of cheating death that runs throughout the movie, tight direction by Nicholas Meyer, and of course, the all-time great line "KHAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!" (The audience reaction was right on cue when I once caught a midnight showing of Trek II) Definitely the best of the Trek movies, and the one that has held up the best.

    The prevailing common wisdom on various Trek fan sites (and judging by reviewers) was that the even-numbered Star Trek movies were the best ones, and I tend to concur with that. Among the original cast movies, I would put The Voyage Home and The Undiscovered Country at #2 and #3. Even with the Next Generation cast, First Contact (Trek 8) and Nemesis (Trek 10) were far superior to Generations (Trek 7) and the gawdawful Insurrection (Trek 9). Doesn't bode well for the Abrams movie, since that one is technically Trek 11.

    When The Voyage Home came out, I thought that its more lighthearted and contemporary focus was badly needed, after the more heavy and tragic themes of II and III. Some of the best original series episodes were very much about holding up a mirror to current events, and showing more of the lighthearted interactions with the crew, and The Voyage Home gets back to that. That movie wound up doing very well with audiences that weren't Star Trek or even sci-fi fans. Even to this day, The Voyage Home remains the highest grossing of all the Star Trek movies.

    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchi...d=startrek.htm
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610



    The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

    Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

  11. #11
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Duh.. Was there really a question?
    Nothing beats having a squiggly snail cockroach thing crawl in your ear and take over your brain.
    I spit my last breath at thee.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  12. #12
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Hey Speedy -

    Good to see you dropping by.

    I'll go along with the consensus -- Wrath of Khan is a great movie at so many levels. One of the all-time great movie villains in Khan, very deep theme of mortality and the hubris of cheating death that runs throughout the movie, tight direction by Nicholas Meyer, and of course, the all-time great line "KHAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!" (The audience reaction was right on cue when I once caught a midnight showing of Trek II) Definitely the best of the Trek movies, and the one that has held up the best.

    The prevailing common wisdom on various Trek fan sites (and judging by reviewers) was that the even-numbered Star Trek movies were the best ones, and I tend to concur with that. Among the original cast movies, I would put The Voyage Home and The Undiscovered Country at #2 and #3. Even with the Next Generation cast, First Contact (Trek 8) and Nemesis (Trek 10) were far superior to Generations (Trek 7) and the gawdawful Insurrection (Trek 9). Doesn't bode well for the Abrams movie, since that one is technically Trek 11.

    When The Voyage Home came out, I thought that its more lighthearted and contemporary focus was badly needed, after the more heavy and tragic themes of II and III. Some of the best original series episodes were very much about holding up a mirror to current events, and showing more of the lighthearted interactions with the crew, and The Voyage Home gets back to that. That movie wound up doing very well with audiences that weren't Star Trek or even sci-fi fans. Even to this day, The Voyage Home remains the highest grossing of all the Star Trek movies.

    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchi...d=startrek.htm
    I don't think I'll ever be able to see Kirk the same way after watching him fart on cue while being hand-cuffed on Boston Legal the other night.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  13. #13
    Suspended topspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,717
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I don't think I'll ever be able to see Kirk the same way after watching him fart on cue while being hand-cuffed on Boston Legal the other night.
    Denny Crane!

    I love Boston Legal! Denny is one of the best characters on TV because he's so honest. What you see is what you get. No PC. No BS. You have to admire that. Apparently Spader and Shatner are good friends off the set as well.

    But I digress...

    I never knew IV was the top grossing, but remember that in the middle of the Cold War it was a welcome relief from the strain. You're absolutely right, Wooch, about how the series was known to challenge the social and political environments at the times. Maybe the new one will focus on the collapse of the traditional economic model, eh? Believe it or not, Boston Legal makes it a point to address current socioeconomic events on their show as well...between Denny's flatulence of course .

    BTW, Search for Spock was on Universal HD last night so, in the spirit on honoring Kex's opinions, I sat throught it and watched it for the first time in years.






    Yep, it still stunk on ice.

  14. #14
    Forum Regular Woochifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    6,883
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    I never knew IV was the top grossing, but remember that in the middle of the Cold War it was a welcome relief from the strain. You're absolutely right, Wooch, about how the series was known to challenge the social and political environments at the times. Maybe the new one will focus on the collapse of the traditional economic model, eh?
    That's the beauty of sci-fi -- you can make a point about and even make fun of how we live without getting preachy or too overt about it. Something as simple as Spock saying "Judging by the pollution content in the atmosphere, I believe we've landed somewhere in the late 20th century," or the crew getting flipped off and cussed out while jaywalking in North Beach. The original series was particularly groundbreaking in how it put together an interracial cast (including the first interracial kiss ever shown on network TV).

    The Voyage Home is a little dated now, but it brilliantly managed to depict 20th century America as some barbaric foreign planet to Kirk & co. (I recall the movie posters reading something like "Join the Enterprise crew as they explore the strangest world of all ... ours")

    If you'll recall, the economic model had already collapsed by the 23rd century Star Trek world. There's that scene where Kirk has that lunch date with the whale biologist trying to convince her that he's from the future, and when it came time to pay the bill she blurted "I guess you don't have money in the 23rd century either?" and Kirk replies "We don't!"

    The movie did well at the box office because you didn't have to follow Star Trek to get it.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610



    The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

    Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

  15. #15
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    6,777
    Okay. I voted for #1 BECAUSE... I was a fan way back when the first one was released; it set the stage and the pace for each one that followed and I, along with my brothers and friends, watched all three seasons on my family's first RCA color TV when the show ran from '66 to '68. I was nine when it started and I can still remember watching episodes in my pajamas (I can't remember which night the TV show was on so eat me! ) and eating my snacks on a paper plate while sitting on the floor in front of the TV. I even remember the style and pattern of the wall-to-wall carpet I was sitting on...

    Huh?

    Multiple choice would be I, II & III.

  16. #16
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    That was my fav

    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    ....

    The Voyage Home is a little dated now, but it brilliantly managed to depict 20th century America as some barbaric foreign planet to Kirk & co. (I recall the movie posters reading something like "Join the Enterprise crew as they explore the strangest world of all ... ours")

    If you'll recall, the economic model had already collapsed by the 23rd century Star Trek world. There's that scene where Kirk has that lunch date with the whale biologist trying to convince her that he's from the future, and when it came time to pay the bill she blurted "I guess you don't have money in the 23rd century either?" and Kirk replies "We don't!"

    The movie did well at the box office because you didn't have to follow Star Trek to get it.
    The Voyage Home was my favorite by a pretty fair margin. It didn't seem to take itself as seriously as the rest. But none of the Star Trek movies were great, IMO.

  17. #17
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    6,777
    You're not from around here anyway so who cares?

  18. #18
    Suspended Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I, along with my brothers and friends, watched all three seasons on my family's first RCA color TV when the show ran from '66 to '68. I was nine when it started.
    Got you! That means you are older than me

    I agree that movie #1 hold a special place for Star Trek fans who grow up watching TV show as it was a big event when it premiered. Now they could see their heroes on giant screen with dolby sound

  19. #19
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    6,777
    DAM! I said 9 didn't I?

  20. #20
    Suspended topspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,717
    Geez, Rich, you're old!

    I undestand the sentimentality of going with ST I. Being a sci fi fan, I remember going to see that in the theater as I had always enjoyed both the series and the cartoon. The problem was that it was 3 years after Star Wars came out, a movie that didn't raise the bar for sci fi movies as much as it threw it in the bushes forcing the competition to find it. IMO, it wasn't until Wrath came out that the series found it mojo and deftly blended story with action.

  21. #21
    Kam
    Kam is offline
    filet - o - fish Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,770
    i voted for 6. 1 was a close second for the nostalgia factor, along with Wrath of Khan for my emotional involvement and love for Khan. but overall i thought 6 was the best story and movie, AND was worth is just to hear christopher plummer say: "Cry _____, and ___ slip ___ Dogs __ War." (carry over joke from the other thread)
    /create

  22. #22
    Forum Regular Woochifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    6,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Okay. I voted for #1 BECAUSE... I was a fan way back when the first one was released; it set the stage and the pace for each one that followed and I, along with my brothers and friends, watched all three seasons on my family's first RCA color TV when the show ran from '66 to '68. I was nine when it started and I can still remember watching episodes in my pajamas (I can't remember which night the TV show was on so eat me! ) and eating my snacks on a paper plate while sitting on the floor in front of the TV. I even remember the style and pattern of the wall-to-wall carpet I was sitting on...
    The first Trek flick was definitely the most ambitious production, and had the most lavish budget of all the Trek movies (the budget was at least 5X greater than Wrath of Khan). Problem I had with the first movie was that it seemed way too enamored with its own massiveness. The throwback of showing a blank screen while the music overture plays at the beginning was a cool homage to the old big screen epics.

    But, so many other parts in the movie just dragged out -- case in point, the scene where Kirk flies out to the Enterprise for the first time is EIGHT MINUTES long! (Friends of mine who worked as sci-fi and entertainment writers have actually timed that scene, and they liken it to fanboy/geek porn) I understand that the effects in that movie are top notch and very expensive to produce, but that kind of wow factor can only carry a movie so far.

    The most critical mistake was dragging out the V'GER punchline all the way to the end. No coincidence that William Shatner always considered the first Trek movie his favorite, and made the exact same mistake when he directed The Final Frontier and dragged out the whole "Let's meet God!" premise to the end.

    Quote Originally Posted by kam
    i voted for 6. 1 was a close second for the nostalgia factor, along with Wrath of Khan for my emotional involvement and love for Khan. but overall i thought 6 was the best story and movie, AND was worth is just to hear christopher plummer say: "Cry _____, and ___ slip ___ Dogs __ War." (carry over joke from the other thread)
    Gotta love it when a Shakespeare fan like Nicholas Meyer gets to direct two of the best movies in the series. Plummer and Montablan got some of the best lines ever written for a sci-fi villain.

    The Undiscovered Country was more like a murder mystery in space, but very well done. Makes me wonder if any of the Next Generation movies would have been any better had they called Meyer in to do the directing and script doctoring.

    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    I undestand the sentimentality of going with ST I. Being a sci fi fan, I remember going to see that in the theater as I had always enjoyed both the series and the cartoon. The problem was that it was 3 years after Star Wars came out, a movie that didn't raise the bar for sci fi movies as much as it threw it in the bushes forcing the competition to find it. IMO, it wasn't until Wrath came out that the series found it mojo and deftly blended story with action.
    I think the first Trek movie might have been a lot better had it made more of a deliberate effort to channel Star Wars. Instead, they brought in Robert Wise and tried to make a widescreen epic (a la Lawrence of Arabia) in space.

    Wrath of Khan was actually a very low budget movie, but the key that made that movie work was going back to the original series and bringing back arguably the best villain.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610



    The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

    Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

  23. #23
    Suspended Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Gotta love it when a Shakespeare fan like Nicholas Meyer gets to direct two of the best movies in the series. Plummer and Montablan got some of the best lines ever written for a sci-fi villain.
    If you watch the xtras on Wrath of Khan DVD, the original story line was that Spock would die at end with no resurrection. But Nimoy and producer changed their mind about the ending and had to argue with Nicholos Meyer to reshoot the ending- as Meyer said he would have non of that. He said in the interview that story call for Spok to die for good and we should have left it that way.

  24. #24
    Sound Fanatic
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    136
    The Motion Picture - was ironically the best scifi of all of them. Sadly, it just wasn't great Star Trek. Good ideas, pretty visuals, and an intriguing Spock get it a lot of points though. 7/10 Roddenberry medallions.

    The Wrath of Khan - was the best Trek film. Not by a huge margin, but it beats out IV by virtue of being scifi more than comedy. 10/10 Roddenberry medallions.

    The Search for Spock - wasn't as bad as most people here seem to think. Robin Curtis was so much better than Kirstie Alley - my god, who could stand Kirstie Alley?? Christopher Lloyd was cool. The destruction of the Enterprise made us all cry... go on, admit it! 6/10 Roddenberry medallions.

    The Voyage Home - it's #2. Very well-written and executed. It strayed from what Star Trek was, but it did it in a very good way. 9/10 Roddenberry medallions.

    The Undiscovered Country - a great Star Trek adventure with fun characters. The glaring plot holes like the pots and pans galley, the Klingon translation scene, and a hundred other things forced Trekkies to look the other way and that was a big drawback. But the sentimentality of it all was a plus. 8/10 Roddenberry medallions.

    The other movies really aren't worth mentioning. Maybe First Contact, but everything else was at best a mediocre episode. And mediocre episodes belong on Saturday afternoon television, not on my DVD shelf!

  25. #25
    Suspended topspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    If you watch the xtras on Wrath of Khan DVD, the original story line was that Spock would die at end with no resurrection. But Nimoy and producer changed their mind about the ending and had to argue with Nicholos Meyer to reshoot the ending- as Meyer said he would have non of that. He said in the interview that story call for Spok to die for good and we should have left it that way.
    There must be some kind of unwritten rule in moviedom that states a lead character must die in the sequel. Harrison Ford was very reluctant to do Return of the Jedi and felt that Han Solo should have died at the end of Empire, which was the original idea. It took a fair amount of convincing from Lucas and others to get him on board, and considering how sappy that one was, he probably should have listened to his conscious.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •