Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Best Movie/Scene to Test My New Speakers?

Woohoo! Finally got my Sonys replaced with my new (well, sorta new) Klipsch Cinema 6 speakers. Got seven of 'em individually open-box for a steal awile back. Any suggestions on which flicks I should test drive 'em with? I feel like I finally got some real sound now!

Congrats!

Master and Commander is probably the best multichannel reference DVD out there right now. Great dynamic range and bass extension, along with some superlative mixing with the surround effect. With timbre matched speakers and proper alignment (see diagram below, except ignore the sub location -- you should place the sub wherever the bass sounds most even), you will be rewarded with some of the most immersive 360 degree imaging you'll ever hear -- not just with the big action scenes, but with the quiet ambient sounds as well.

I was also very impressed with The Chronicles of Narnia for its surround imaging, but it doesn't pack quite as much dynamic punch as other action pics out there. If you're looking for a bassfest that will test the physical limits of your subwoofer, then look no further than the DTS version of The Haunting.

I would also highly recommend Pat Metheny Group's Speaking of Now Live DVD. One of the best recorded and mixed multichannel concert soundtracks I've ever heard. It was purposely mixed as a 4.1 soundtrack (with the center channel off) to create a more spacious sound, and has a great crowd perspective.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

How about Twister?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Got Master and Commander on my list. Don't own Twister, and I don't have an excuse! Was thinking about Top Gun, Pirates of the Caribbean, T2, Apocalypse Now... This could be a long night! Checking out scenes from Fellowship of the Ring now. Holy poop! I can't believe the difference. Keep in mind my sub is still a little ol' Yamaha yst215, but it's getting the job done! I immediately noticed subtleties in the music and sound effects I'd never heard before!

Forum Regular
    Black Hawk Down (Superbit), Spiderman 2, Gladiator, The Incredibles...

Here is top ten movie list from Sound&Vision magazine for best visual and audio effects. And recommend a chapter from each movie to get your system’s heart pumping

1 Master and Commander
    The Killer Demo: Chapter 4, “Under Attack.” Watching this first and most vivid of the sea battles on a big-screen HDTV with a good surround sound system will make your heart leap into your throat.

2 The Incredibles
    The Killer Demo: Chapter 23, “100-Mile Dash.” This excellent chase scene — with Dash pursued across leagues of jungle by soldiers in flying, bladed hovercrafts — is filled with the kind of spectacular stunts that only animation can deliver.

3 The Return of the King
    The Killer Demo: Go to Disc 2, Chapter 46, and be sure to turn up the volume until you can clearly hear King Theoden of Rohan riding across the front line of his cavalry, exhorting the troops in a death-embracing speech. Now leave the volume turned up for the visual and sonic onslaught to follow.

4 The Empire Strikes Back
    The Killer Demo: Chapter 14, “Battle in the Snow.” We get our first look at the awesome Imperial walkers during this 10-minute spectacle as Luke’s speeder squadron hurtles over the snow toward their towering forms.

5 Spider-Man 2
    The Killer Demo: Chapter 42, “The Train.” The editing of action, sound, and music kicks what could have been just another “fight atop a moving vehicle” sequence into high gear.

6 The Bourne Supremacy
    The Killer Demo: Chapter 16, “On the Run.” Jason Bourne uses any means necessary, including cars, trains, and boats, to elude a dragnet. Lots of exciting surround effects trail Bourne as he throws an entire city into chaos.

7 Pirates of the Caribbean
    The Killer Demo: While most people would probably choose Chapter 11, “The Battle,” with its pounding ship-to-ship cannonades, I’d recommend the passage in Chapter 3 where Depp first encounters Orlando Bloom.

8 The Matrix Revolutions
    The Killer Demo: Chapter 17, “Breaching the Dome.” You’ll be taken to the edge of sensory overload as the machines invade Zion amidst a swirling hail of lead that erupts from every corner of the room.

9 Hero
    The Killer Demo: If you’ve doubted how back surround speakers can enhance the home theater experience, check out Chapter 7 on a 6.1-channel system. Sound swirls around the room, perfectly tracking the action onscreen.

10 I, Robot
    The Killer Demo: Chapter 18, “You Are Experiencing a Car Accident.” There’s fear-inducing bass as a pair of robot carriers encircle Will Smith’s car in a tunnel. The flurry of screeching wheels and crunching robot parts during his subsequent escape is surround sound mixing at its finest.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/fea...vd-action.html

"Last of the Mohicans". the seige on Fort William Henry is one scene that should not be missed.
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

For imaging of surround effects, I rather like the opening minutes of SWAT which recreates, partially from real footage, that nasty, and now notorious, bank robbery in North Hollywood with the machine guns and all.

Man this list could go on and on. Smokey's list is on hit. I love using Hero (blue room & arrow scene) as a demo. M&C has some of the best surround also. House of Flying Daggers got some great stuff also.

Anyways, enjoy your new gear hommie.........Now about that sub

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the great suggestions, guys! I was just starting to play with my new toy when the wifey got home, sooo.... I get off work early today!

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Hollow Man2
    V for Vandetta
    The Cave

All these three not only test the frequency response, but bass detail as well.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Kam
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Hollow Man2
    V for Vandetta
    The Cave

All these three not only test the frequency response, but bass detail as well.
    T3, how could you forget to add The Cave will also test your mental ability to withstand one of the dumbest movies ever! i thought you hated it?

i'd also add True Lies - the harrier attacking the trucks/bridge scene.
    The Abyss - the first alien encounter where it goes spinning around her.
    Revenge of the Sith - that opening space battle scene, has tremendous bass in it too.
    /create

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

What!!!

...no laser-totin', mechanical lizards?

jimHJJ(...can you sense the sarcasm?...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    T3, how could you forget to add The Cave will also test your mental ability to withstand one of the dumbest movies ever! i thought you hated it?

i'd also add True Lies - the harrier attacking the trucks/bridge scene.
    The Abyss - the first alien encounter where it goes spinning around her.
    Revenge of the Sith - that opening space battle scene, has tremendous bass in it too.
    I did hate it, but let's face it, the soundtrack was absolutely stunning and filled with fine detail from the bottom to the top. The visuals were also very good. It just amazes me how many movies are technically flawless, but story line and acting is flawed to the hilt. What's up with that??
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    I would suggest "Cast Away". With no background music whatsoever, you can really concentrate on the sound of the ocean. Very peaceful and calm. If you really strain, I bet you can hear the sand crabs scurry over the beach.

Kam
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I did hate it, but let's face it, the soundtrack was absolutely stunning and filled with fine detail from the bottom to the top. The visuals were also very good. It just amazes me how many movies are technically flawless, but story line and acting is flawed to the hilt. What's up with that??
    yes, absolutely attrocious movie, but that underwater photography sequence is better than anything short of the brown's surfing docs. beautiful shots. its prime material for an MST3000 voice over.
    /create

I saw The Cave on cable not too long ago and I thought it was OK

Predictable, bad acting and all that stuff going on, but I think it could make it into my pull off the shelve once a year collection. Man, I'm just a sucka for monster flics.

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...no laser-totin', mechanical lizards?

jimHJJ(...can you sense the sarcasm?...)

I keep seeing the teaser preview for The Transformers at the movie theater. Man, that movie's gonna be tits! No... seriously, hate on Michael Bay if you must, but I'm gonna see that. July 4, 2007, I can't wait.

But, back on topic... I actually like movies with music performance as another way to give speakers a work out. Three of my faves:

Hedwig and the Angry Inch
    Almost Famous
    Walk the Line

All three use music to set tone and tell the story. Its a different kind of immersion the sound effects.

Kam
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I saw The Cave on cable not too long ago and I thought it was OK

Predictable, bad acting and all that stuff going on, but I think it could make it into my pull off the shelve once a year collection. Man, I'm just a sucka for monster flics.
    you should check out The Descent. (by the guy who did Dog Soldiers) it is FAR better than the cave. i reviewed it earlier. fun movie.
    /create

Forum Regular

F-2

Quote Originally Posted by Defshep
    Woohoo! Finally got my Sonys replaced with my new (well, sorta new) Klipsch Cinema 6 speakers. Got seven of 'em individually open-box for a steal awile back. Any suggestions on which flicks I should test drive 'em with? I feel like I finally got some real sound now!
    Final Destination 2 , highway pile up sounds real good

Forum Regular
    Threw in The Island last night. I know, not many Michael Bay fans here, but I do love this movie! The city chase scene sounded incredible! Also watched V for Vendetta (again), and it was like hearing it for the first time. I was rather maniacal at times yesterday, like a man possessed! I was tossing in dvds, playing the cool scenes, and yankin' 'em out just to put in another. Master and Commander, Empire Strikes Back, Matrix. Even picked up Pearl Harbor for eight bucks - just for the sound! I may have some more tweaking to do, as Empire sounded a little over-driven for my new babies. Maybe they require more in-depth settings from my Pioneer VSX-815 than the old Sonys. Overall, it's just silly how much fun I'm having!

Errr...

Threw in The Island last night. I know, not many Michael Bay fans here, but I do love this movie! The city chase scene sounded incredible! Also watched V for Vendetta (again), and it was like hearing it for the first time. I was rather maniacal at times yesterday, like a man possessed! I was tossing in dvds, playing the cool scenes, and yankin' 'em out just to put in another. Master and Commander, Empire Strikes Back, Matrix. Even picked up Pearl Harbor for eight bucks - just for the sound! I may have some more tweaking to do, as Empire sounded a little over-driven for my new babies. Maybe they require more in-depth settings from my Pioneer VSX-815 than the old Sonys. Overall, it's just silly how much fun I'm having!
    I know you're in sonic heaven and I'm very happy for you BUT, it's gettin' mighty slippery round here with all the drool you're slobberin' all over da place. Not to mention that chit eatin' grin on your face makes you look like that creepy bugger from the Enzyte commercials. Also put a towel over that wood, you're enjoyin' this too much...

LOL, it does my hear good to see/hear a regular "rediscover" his system though some choice additions... Enjoy and congrats...

Da Worfster

Hmm......sounds like me when I upgraded from my Sony's to current Energy system. Not only was there a huge improvent for movie, but also music. Man I went through most of my CD collection that first week.

One of my first demo disc for my new setup was the T-rex scene on JP. Well there's a storm going on the background right. Well on my new system there was a STORM going on in the background. Huge difference. Glad your enjoying your new gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    you should check out The Descent. (by the guy who did Dog Soldiers) it is FAR better than the cave. i reviewed it earlier. fun movie.
    Thanks Kam. I wonder if it's at Bbuster. I'm not a member of any rental clubs, but may join netflix or something since BB never has any titles I wanna see.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    I know you're in sonic heaven and I'm very happy for you BUT, it's gettin' mighty slippery round here with all the drool you're slobberin' all over da place. Not to mention that chit eatin' grin on your face makes you look like that creepy bugger from the Enzyte commercials. Also put a towel over that wood, you're enjoyin' this too much...

LOL, it does my hear good to see/hear a regular "rediscover" his system though some choice additions... Enjoy and congrats...

Da Worfster
    God, that's hysterical! Sorry for the mess.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information