Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Suspended
    "I'm Batman" opens tomorrow!!! Gonna take the day off and see if I can't get into a theater early afternoon to catch it.

I watched this last night and was pretty disappointed. I was really hoping for more prehistoric animal scenes. The tiger appeared for a whole 30 seconds. Same with the mammoths & the birds. Glad I didn't go to the theater to see this.

Kam
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Oh Kam, Kam, Kam...tsk. The lizard and the monkey?

...I got one word for ya..."Mothra".

sticks
    ohhh c'mon! Citizan Kane with Godzilla??? with that super thin wire that's stronger than anything??? that was such a great fun horrible movie!

/create

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I watched this last night and was pretty disappointed. I was really hoping for more prehistoric animal scenes. The tiger appeared for a whole 30 seconds. Same with the mammoths & the birds. Glad I didn't go to the theater to see this.
    How did you like the blue/green screen work? Fantastic no? Really gave the impression that the actors were really in the mountains no?
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    How did you like the blue/green screen work? Fantastic no? Really gave the impression that the actors were really in the mountains no?
    After reading the reviews and thoughts here, I went in not expecting much. Background looked kinda washed in some scenes. I thought the CGI was just OK. The mammoths looked decent. I had mixed thoughts about the tiger. It looked OK sometimes but looked really bad at others. I thought the birds looked pretty good though. Too bad we didn't get much. No cave girl eye candy either

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    After reading the reviews and thoughts here, I went in not expecting much. Background looked kinda washed in some scenes. I thought the CGI was just OK. The mammoths looked decent. I had mixed thoughts about the tiger. It looked OK sometimes but looked really bad at others. I thought the birds looked pretty good though.
    I was being sarcastic. The CGI was poor at best.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    . No cave girl eye candy either...

This movie I shall not see.

Wow...

How'd Godzilla, Batman and King Kong get drawn into this fracas? LOL, great thread. I'm just sittin' here, munchin popcorn and watching this posts roll by.

Da Worfster

"This movie, I shall see it not."

nightflier

Batman

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    "This movie, I shall see it not."
    Sticks & Worf = Vincent & Jules? There seems to be a connection there, methinks. But can Sticks dance?

By the way, it looks like Batman really shot to the top of the ratings this weekend, not to mention a ton or repeat viewers. Or is it just that people are so desperate for one decent movie this summer? To those who have seen it, is it as good or better than Iron Man?

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Sticks & Worf = Vincent & Jules? There seems to be a connection there, methinks. But can Sticks dance?

By the way, it looks like Batman really shot to the top of the ratings this weekend, not to mention a ton or repeat viewers. Or is it just that people are so desperate for one decent movie this summer? To those who have seen it, is it as good or better than Iron Man?
    Geez, if you hate summer movies so much, why not just quit forking more money over to the studios?

I don't know why you might think that people are going looking forward to The Dark Knight because they're "so desperate." The simplest reason why The Dark Knight is shaping up as the summer's biggest hit is because of the groundwork laid down by Batman Begins. I was looking forward to Batman Begins because I loved Christopher Nolan's directing and writing on Memento and Insomnia. But, on the whole, that movie was definitely not hugely anticipated when it opened three years ago, given that it had to overcome the decidedly negative stench left by Joel Schumacher's disastrous Batman & Robin.

In fact, industry pundits were calling Batman Begins a disappointment when its opening weekend box office numbers came in well behind some of that summer's other entries. But, Batman Begins had the highest Cinemascore audience rating of any movie that summer, which generated very positive word of mouth. Along with the critical acclaim, this word-of-mouth gave Batman Begins box office "legs" with relatively low week-to-week declines in ticket sales, and a relatively long theatrical run in which its box office take eventually passed most of the other movies from that summer with higher opening weekend numbers.

In addition, Batman Begins was a huge hit on DVD (and the biggest selling title on HD-DVD) and on cable TV. Regardless of the quality (or lack thereof) of the other summer blockbusters, The Dark Knight is a heavily anticipated release because the audience took a liking to its predecessor and wants more. Add the Oscar buzz (and macabre curiosity) surrounding the late Heath Ledger's portrayal of the Joker, nearly universal acclaim by film reviewers (94% composite rating on Rotten Tomatoes, second only to Wall-E among all movies released this summer), and some creatively done viral marketing, and you got the makings of a monster hit.

This movie has been on my watch list for the past two years, ever since principal photography began and the announcement that Heath Ledger would play the Joker. Wouldn't have mattered to me what month it came out, I was definitely going to catch it on the big screen. I don't think I'm alone in that either if you look at how the midnight and weekend showings for The Dark Knight began selling out a month ago.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Suspended
    So Wooch, can we assume you've seen it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    So Wooch, can we assume you've seen it?
    Not yet. Don't need to see it on opening weekend ... waiting for the IMAX showings to simmer down a bit, since the weekend IMAX screenings in my area have been sold out for about two weeks.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Kewl. I'll play second fiddle to Worfster any day, though it should be noted that I am somewhat rhythmically challenged until a certain amount of gimlets are involved.

Hey Worf, you wanna Royale with cheese?

nightflier

Ok, Ok....

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Geez, if you hate summer movies so much, why not just quit forking more money over to the studios?
    Maybe I'm being a little harsh on Batman's new lease on life. I've liked Christian Bale's screen presence well before he started wearing rubber suits, and yes, the rest of the big-name cast is impressive. What I'm getting at, though, and this isn't directed specifically at Batman, but more to all superhero movies of late, is the formula plot. Regardless of the plot lines in the first half of the movie, at some point things don't work out for the hero, then there is usually a lull with a rebuilding/introspection period in the early second half (kind of like the duct-tape sessions on the A-Team) and then things pretty much converge on a big all-out fight at the end where the hero wins all the goodies. Maybe this Batman movie does it better, but it still does it. It's almost as if there is no original progression anymore in action films. Why does everything have to follow that same sequence every time? Even with the best actors and directors, this has got to get routine after a while, no?

It kind of reminds me about my father's reaction to the European Cup that just concluded. I was pretty into it and starting telling my father about it with quite a bit of excitement. He let me go on for a good ten minutes about it and when I was done he patiently said: "all that fuss because some people were chasing a ball?" Considering how many hours I spent watching the tournament, he had a point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information