Thread: Why Buy Cd

Why Buy Cd

Ok,

I must say that I find it interesting for those that are still spending thousands of dollars on CD players. Why? Well, the Compact Disc is becoming a dead format that always had limitations. Fact of the matter is that many of the DVD players on the market make for better CD players than some of the highest end CD players. SACD's should bury CD's, but the general public is unaware of the differences and it's such a poorly promoted format. I think we should all endorse high resolution formats!

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

agreed

Quote Originally Posted by superpanavision70mm
    Ok,

I think we should all endorse high resolution formats!

...and many of us are

Forum Regular
    The sad truth is that sacd,not cd,is close to a dead format.New releases have slowed to a trickle with no change in sight.I was an early adopter of sacd and this really pains me to see this happen,there were such high hopes but most people in this mp3 riddled world dont seem to care all they want is quantity and convienence not quality playback.What dvd player are you speaking about,i have yet to hear a dvd player that could even best one in the same price range,to say nothing of a higher end machine.

bill

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    For most of the walkins at CC and BB,they dont care about quality,it a world of quanity. Its on the go music where HiRes has no place. Its a small market of us that only wants it.
    Look & Listen

Bill, I've heard some great things coming through the Pioneer Elite DVD players, some marantz, NAD, and other similar models. I wouldn't say that SACD is dead just yet...although this DualDisc thing seems to be catching on a bit better, but what a disaster. I guess SACD is to CD as LaserDisc is to VHS.

Forum Regular
    yea sad is it not.I dislike dual disc,most dont even have dvd-audio side,just a dolby digital 5.1 side.It looks like this is high rez for the masses.I laugh everytime i see that little warning that it may not play in all cd players.

bill

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    I embrace SACD and DVD-A (and vinyl) but I've found a new love for some of my CDs that are actually well recorded and mastered. It is also just an easy medium to find and deal with.

Well, I have always enjoyed a well-recorded CD, esp. the 20bit or HDCD encoded discs. I am still amazed at the sound coming from some of the Mobile Fidelity Gold Discs after all these years. I crank up Don Henley's BUILDING A PERFECT BEAST and give my neighborhood some decent music now and again....it's one of the most amazing CD recordings i've ever heard....no matter how loud you go it just keeps sounding better and better and better.....

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I'm glad to hear you say that

Well, I have always enjoyed a well-recorded CD, esp. the 20bit or HDCD encoded discs. I am still amazed at the sound coming from some of the Mobile Fidelity Gold Discs after all these years. I crank up Don Henley's BUILDING A PERFECT BEAST and give my neighborhood some decent music now and again....it's one of the most amazing CD recordings i've ever heard....no matter how loud you go it just keeps sounding better and better and better.....
    Because CD is definately NOT a dead medium. Although some DVD players can make good CD players, and I always recommend a dvd/multiplayer so people can at least try some of the newer high-rez formats, quality CD players are still selling, and if you've got a good system, also make good sense.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Then i highly recommend DH The End Of Innocence on a DTS music Disc 24bit/
    Look & Listen

Thread Information