Forum Regular

What's the best sounding 5-disc changer?

I need a new CD changer to replace my horrible sounding Pioneer Elite changer that is about to die. I will only use this changer for analog (RCA) 2-ch connection and don't want SACD or DVD-Audio on this device...just a decent sounding CD changer. I have a Marantz CD63se in my dedicated 2-ch system and like it alot, but need more then a single disc for this system. I would like to spend under $1K (even less if possible) and don't mind searching and buying used. I've looked at the Sony SCD-C555ES, but was trying to avoid paying for the SACD function.

JSE
    I just bought the Panasonic DVD-F85 5 disc changer and I am very happy with the sound. I am running a 5.1 setup but with an older Pro-Logic receiver. I had an older Samsung 5 disc changer that fuzzed out on me recently and I though it sounded great. I'll probably get flammed for this but, the panasonic sounds much better to me. The F85 plays DVD-A and has internal digital decoders. The F-65 is also avail but does not play DVD-A nor does it have decoders built in. I got the F-85 for $142 on sale at Circuit City and the F-65 was $129 in think. DVD-A for $13 more was a no brainer.

JSE

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by lincoln
    I need a new CD changer to replace my horrible sounding Pioneer Elite changer that is about to die. I will only use this changer for analog (RCA) 2-ch connection and don't want SACD or DVD-Audio on this device...just a decent sounding CD changer. I have a Marantz CD63se in my dedicated 2-ch system and like it alot, but need more then a single disc for this system. I would like to spend under $1K (even less if possible) and don't mind searching and buying used. I've looked at the Sony SCD-C555ES, but was trying to avoid paying for the SACD function.

Just about anything in your price range will do that meets your needs.
    CD players have been a commodity product for a long time now. Nothing new to do but to market it so people will buy it.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular

Cool Test at home

Hmmm, likes the sound of his Marantz but thinks the Pioneer Elite is not so good. Must have forgot to DBT. My Pioneer recorder makes excellant digital copies but it doesn't match the Ah or other players in it's price range.

Whatever you buy I would test at home first. You already got the Marantz to compare to. Like you said there always is used.

God Luck in your hunting.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by happy ears
    Hmmm, likes the sound of his Marantz but thinks the Pioneer Elite is not so good. Must have forgot to DBT. My Pioneer recorder makes excellant digital copies but it doesn't match the Ah or other players in it's price range.

Whatever you buy I would test at home first. You already got the Marantz to compare to. Like you said there always is used.

God Luck in your hunting.
    He did say his Pioneer is about to die. I am not there, I don't know one way or the other. If it is working properly no reason for that assesment. If not working properly, then yes.
    CD players can be designed to sound euphonic, not rocket sc ience. Perhaps your Ah is so designed. A preference issue only.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular

Smile

So many choices. Sometimes it's just nice to buy new. You never know it may limp along for many years yet, time will tell.

Have A Great Day

Forum Regular
    Yes, the Pioneer Elite is about to die...it makes a rubbing sound when spinning the disc(s) and skips on perfectly good CD's (no scratches, dust or prints). If I take the disc out that's skipping and put it right back in the player it works fine.

It's the cheapest Elite changer from 5-8 years ago and it's never sounded good using the analog outputs (thin sounding). Sounded fine thru an old Adcom DAC, but I it was borrowed and I had to give it back a few months ago. So I know it just got a horrible DAC built in. I've never been impressed with the player by anything except it's looks (gotta love the Elite gloss black!!!).

Just on a whim, I decided to hook up the analog outs on my Panasonic RP62 DVD player and try some CD's on it last night. This player is in the same system with Elite changer. This cheap, little, lightweight $180 progressive scan DVD player sounds great compared to the Elite player. I have not tried the Marantz in this system yet, but probably will in the next few days to compare it to both players currently in that system.

Post Well....

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln
    I've purchased a couple of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=42%2D7001

One of which is being used by a youth group(AYIIIIIEEEE! Teenagers!). The room it is in isn't always air conditioned either and it gets quite hot here in Florida. Been about a year now and so far so good.

-Bruce

Forum Regular
    I have a Marantz CC67 5 disc changer in my setup, running RCA analog out to my Onkyo receiver via very good quality gold plated Monster RCA's; the changer never quit on me and there were never any sound issues in the good few years I have owned it. Purchased it new at a high end speciality audio shop that carried Marantz; cant remember how much new, though....around 4 or 500 bucks. The only little squabbles I have had was that ONE TIME, a couple months back, the carousel inside refused to shuffle the discs for me. Turning the unit off and then on again remidied the problem; like all electronic devices, I think they all whack out at one time or another----I think nothing is perfect. Also, the tiny little "wrist watch" battery inside this changer's thin, trendy-looking remote needs to be replaced like every other minute; of course, this is an exaggeration, but every time I turn around, I need a new battery in there. I dont listen to music all that much anymore since getting a 5.1 surround home theater setup, as mostly I watch DVDs in Dolby Digital and DTS and such; but the Marantz is still in my stack of gear, right underneath a Marantz DR700 CD recorder. I think they make high-end looking, feeling and sounding products. For the most part, I would recommend the CC67 if you can find it online somewhere.

There was some kind of "Special Edition" CD changer Marantz made that the salesman at this audio shop was trying to sell me on when I bought the CC67, complete with gold-plated buttons on the front and all...it jacked the price way up and I went with the $400/$500 CC67. This Special Edition was supposed to be a "step up" from the CC67.
    Onkyo TX-SR600 6.1 Surround Receiver
    Polk Mains, Center & Surrounds
    Polk 10" Powered Sub
    Marantz CC67 5 Disc Changer
    Marantz DR700 CD Recorder
    Technics Turntable
    Panasonic DVD/DVD-Audio Player
    Sony Hi-Fi VCR
    Sony Trinitron 27" Monitor
    Numark "CD MIX 1" Dual CD Player/DJ Mixer

Thread Information