Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Storing them as digital files is even worse since I just can't get a handle on what I do have on disk. I probably have 50 or more full length albums on disk and I seldom listen to them. I'm not ready to spend the money on a Sooloos system or something similar, but that is really the only type of interface I could see that could bridge that gap. Even then I still would have a hard time getting used to it.
    Here's where I'd strongly disagree.

I use the Squeezebox system. I have a SB3 ("Classic") that runs to a Lavry DA-10 DAC into my main system. It is the only music source I have on the system. I also have a second system that uses the Duet receiver.

The basic Squeezebox player is not all that expensive (by audiophile standards it is downright inexpensive) and it is easy to upgrade with an external DAC (which some may already own.) They even have the fancier "Transporter" model for those who want to go that route.

I have absolutely incredible and unparalleled access to my music. I have in excess of 45,000 songs on the system. For example, if I want to find how many versions of the classic tune "One For My Baby" I have, it took 2 seconds to search the database. (I have 8 versions by various artists.) I can then select the one I want (or all) and play them instantly.

It is particularly handy for locating songs on compilation albums that may include a variety of artists.

I can find songs and albums by artist, genre, year, song or album title and so on.

It has really improved my access to my collection in ways that were downright impossible in the old days. I think it is great, but then again, with audio, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Go into Device Manager and check to see if any of your Universal Serial Bus controllers are listed as "enhanced". If so, that's USB 2.0.

And yes...In my setup, the sound goes into and out of the PC through the USB port. The SoundBlaster converts the PC digital to analog and the receiver analog to digital. I can record and play back music using the PC like a tape deck.
    Thanks.

Device Manager says:
    -Universal Serial Bus controllers
    .... Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller
    .... Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller
    .... USB Root Hub
    .... USB Root Hub

Thus, I must have USB 1.1.

Your setup is more or less what I'm trying to do. But I'm comtemplating using optical digital audio between the PC and the ADC & DAC.

How long can you run your USB cable? I'd like to get about 20 to 30 feet between the PC and the ADC/DAC.
    Philips GA312/ Stanton 681EEE/ Jico D6800EEE-S Shibata ===>>|
    Yamaha DVD-S2700 CD/SACD/DVD >> MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha CDC-765 CD 5 disc >>==== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    JVC TD-W709 Cassette >>======== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha RX-797 Receiver -------------------------------------+
    Sennheiser HD650 Head phones <<===========================<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<L############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##L<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<R############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##R<<|

Quote Originally Posted by rakeford
    How long can you run your USB cable? I'd like to get about 20 to 30 feet between the PC and the ADC/DAC.
    By the USB spec, the maximum length of wire is 5 meters between devices. However, you can put a USB hub between two 5-meter wires and you'd have 10 meters. Use two hubs and three cables and you'd have 15 meters. There are also USB cables that have the device built-in, so it's 10 meters with a little repeater box in the middle of the cable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information