Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Still Searching

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    Kid, the newer generation DAC's are much improved over the previous generation, especially in the budget range. Finding the right DAC is all about system matching because many sound so different. I love the Luxman because it sounds so much like vinyl and it is so musical and a joy to listen to.
    Thanks BR I have pretty much settled on my sources and speakers so it may be time for a a little tweaking. Updating one of the DAC's may be the way to go. Looking forward to hearing more of your impressions on the new gear.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Depending on how soon the Luxman arrives, you may be able to hear the Lampi and the Luxman head to head. That's odd about having the Amber hooked to a USB source even if you're not using it. My hi-rez files come in on a USB cable to my BUC-1, but go out on a AES/EBU.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

I am going to run my computer music through this little Vensmile Computer hooked up to a portable 1 or 2 terabyte external hard drive via wire and then control the Vensmile remotely with a tablet or laptop. I have a friend that uses this system and it works great without any hiccups. It plays DSD without any problems. I will be using JRiver. I have also decided to buy an Audio Quest Cinnamon USB cable.

Amazon.com : Vensmile Ipc002 Wintel Mini Smart Pc Compute Stick Atom Baytrail Cr, z3735f Quad-core (4c/4t) Soc CPU Windows 8.1 Pocket Mini Computer with Memory 2g Emmc 32g Bluetooth 4.0 Built-in Battery 2.4g/5g Dual Band Wifiipc002 Wintel Mini Pc Com
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

It's quite amazing what the can pack into these small packages; it's also amazing that they can do it at the price, (US$120), especially considering the Win 8.1 OS is included.
    Last edited by Feanor; 06-15-2015 at 03:09 PM.

I am going to run my computer music through this little Vensmile Computer hooked up to a portable 1 or 2 terabyte external hard drive via wire and then control the Vensmile remotely with a tablet or laptop. I have a friend that uses this system and it works great without any hiccups. It plays DSD without any problems. I will be using JRiver. I have also decided to buy an Audio Quest Cinnamon USB cable.
    Like I said, an amazing device.

Presently I'm giving really serious consideration to a Pipo X7, not as a music player but as a media player to replace my old ASUS player.

The Pipo X7 doesn't have batter power but does have wired RJ45 LAN connector (albeit only 10-/100), more USB connections (unfortunately only USB 2), and full-sized HDMI out. I think this is a bit more suitable to my needs than the Vensmile.

Amazon.com : Vensmile Ipc002 Wintel Mini Smart Pc Compute Stick Atom Baytrail Cr, z3735f Quad-core (4c/4t) Soc CPU Windows 8.1 Pocket Mini Computer with Memory 2g Emmc 32g Bluetooth 4.0 Built-in Battery 2.4g/5g Dual Band Wifiipc002 Wintel Mini Pc Com
    Will it have enough processing power to play native DSD 128 with out skipping a beat? I know you said yes, but what processer speed and RAM does it have?
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Will it have enough processing power to play native DSD 128 with out skipping a beat? I know you said yes, but what processer speed and RAM does it have?
    It uses 2GB of DDR3 at 1333mHz and the processor is an Intel Atom Baytrail quad core at 1.33 with turbo boost to 1.8Ghz on 22nm architecture (just remember, all Ghz are not created equal, there is much more to it than numbers). My friend has been using it for a month with hi-rez double DSD music without any problems. One of the reasons it does so well is that there basically nothing else running in the background. You can even do some light gaming with it. It has a stripped down version of Windows 8.1 and it will eventually have Windows 10 which is both good and bad because Micro Soft is going to start charging for some of the updates with Windows 10 and also making some updates mandatory because they have been sued by stupid people who don't update their computers and they have had security breaches. So hold on to your 8.1.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

It uses 2GB of DDR3 at 1333mHz and the processor is an Intel Atom Baytrail quad core at 1.33 with turbo boost to 1.8Ghz on 22nm architecture (just remember, all Ghz are not created equal, there is much more to it than numbers). My friend has been using it for a month with hi-rez double DSD music without any problems. One of the reasons it does so well is that there basically nothing else running in the background. You can even do some light gaming with it. It has a stripped down version of Windows 8.1 and it will eventually have Windows 10 which is both good and bad because Micro Soft is going to start charging for some of the updates with Windows 10 and also making some updates mandatory because they have been sued by stupid people who don't update their computers and they have had security breaches. So hold on to your 8.1.
    Im not really convinced, Raven. But that's just me. I know how these things go. I work in IT and we deal with networks and computer problems/issues daily with clients all across the country remotely. I work in a NOC (network operations center) solving computer issues and problems for some of the top companies in America. I'd have to wait and see if you get all you can and be satisfied with such a small processor and RAM.....even if it does well enough, you're at the limit with no room to spare. 1 and 0's can be complexed and varies from song to song. Some music takes more processor energy than others, so one day you man not experience any issues and the next day you can have all sorts of studdering and drop outs. Hope it all works for you and once again, congrats!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Frenchmon, I know that you are skeptical but my friend is very reliable and I am going to go over to his house for a listen. He also works with computers for a living. I think that 30 days use of doing double DSD with out a hiccup is a fairly good test of the system. Bear in mind that the computer is not being asked to do any other tasks. It does play back 1080p video with out any problems as well. It has on board Intel HD 5000 graphics and an SSD.

For $100 bucks it is worth a try. I did not have any trouble playing hirez music on my old $2K (courtesy of work) custom latop that died recently. It had a P9500 processor dual core with 4gigs of fast ram that ran at 2.4Ghz and if was painfully slow compared to a computer with a first gen I3 that ran at 2.4Ghz.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Frenchmon, I know that you are skeptical but my friend is very reliable and I am going to go over to his house for a listen. He also works with computers for a living. I think that 30 days use of doing double DSD with out a hiccup is a fairly good test of the system. Bear in mind that the computer is not being asked to do any other tasks. It does play back 1080p video with out any problems as well. It has on board Intel HD 5000 graphics and an SSD.

For $100 bucks it is worth a try. I did not have any trouble playing hirez music on my old $2K (courtesy of work) custom latop that died recently. It had a P9500 processor dual core with 4gigs of fast ram that ran at 2.4Ghz and if was painfully slow compared to a computer with a first gen I3 that ran at 2.4Ghz.
    I think you're right that not asking the CPU to do a lot of other things -- such as running an antivirus program -- is the key. Decoding a few thousand bps is a inherently a trivial task for a gigahertz computer.

NP, Raven. Ive just never heard of such small Machines running DSD 128.

Raven...are you running DSD128 247 when you get her up and running? I do....I run Native DSD 247, and whatever isn't DSD files...its DSD on the fly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information