Forum Regular

SB3 SlimServer Question

Because of space constraints on my current computer, I'm going to buying a NAS and putting my computer downstairs. However, I recently bought a sb3 as I've mentioned a million times already . Anyway my question is this: do i need to have slimserver on whenever I want to stream music and thus will i have to turn on my computer by going downstairs everytime i wish to listen to music, or is slimserver required only for the initial setup and then the sb3 can directly stream the music from the NAS?

I'm kicking myself for not buying a $200 computer on sale on black friday!

I don't know much about NAS devices, but my understanding is you can get a NAS that will run the Slimserver software.

You should look at the Slim Devices forums, there are a whole bunch of people doing this, and they could tell you a lot more about this than I can. Check out some of these threads:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/search...earchid=488145

Good luck.
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

This not about the NAS setup, but a quick note about a conflict issue you may run into. I just upgraded my Internet security suite (McAfee) to 2007 and it cuts access to the slim server. I tried everything to get McAfee to not scan the files or stop working all together and no such luck. I went to their forum and read that the spamkiller uses the same localhost IP (127.0.1.0) to access your mail accounts and that may be the reason why the slim server won't work. I check the slim forums and read a few go arounds, but it will make you use CMD commands and thats not what I feel I need to do each time I want to listen to music.

So just watch out.

I got around it by taking the kids computer (P3 800Mhz running Windows 2K Pro, 1gig ram) and made it into a server and put it in the garage. Now I don't have to worry about turning on my computer when I want to listen to music (its on 24/7) and no noise in the house from the computer fans. And the kids get to use my gaming rig
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

My guess ...

Quote Originally Posted by avgjoe
    Because of space constraints on my current computer, I'm going to buying a NAS and putting my computer downstairs. However, I recently bought a sb3 as I've mentioned a million times already . Anyway my question is this: do i need to have slimserver on whenever I want to stream music and thus will i have to turn on my computer by going downstairs everytime i wish to listen to music, or is slimserver required only for the initial setup and then the sb3 can directly stream the music from the NAS?

I'm kicking myself for not buying a $200 computer on sale on black friday!
    I'm not a SB3 user, but I can tell you NAS storage is little more than a hard drive that attaches to the network (via RJ45) rather than your computer (via USB, Firewire, or internally); usually it is made to look like an attached driver by a small piece of software that runs on your computer. But your computer runs SlimServer; the NAS cannot do this. Hence I'm pretty sure that if since SB3 needs SlimServer, you'll have to boot your computer.

Forum Regular
    Yeah, I've been looking around and Infrant makes a NAS with raid capability for 600 dollars that natively supports slimserver. However, for 600 I might as well build myself a superior computer. I've been specing out a computer and it comes out to be $350 with two 250gb HDs. I'm going to wait a year or two more, however. In that much time, hopefully HD prices will go down and I can get half a terabyte raided.

These are the proposed specs:

Sempron 2800+ w/ NF3 mobo
    Stock cooler
    2 HDs in RAID
    512mb Ram (only 6 bucks more than 256)
    Cheap $10 pci video card I have at home
    Seasonic 330 psu (stability and quietness)

I might invest a little more on the cpu cooler to make it slightly less noisy because the computer is going to be located downstairs where most likely my parents can hear it. If I make it so they can't hear it, they won't care what I'm doing.

Thread Information