Thread: SACD Players

Dustin Broke is hot!!! SpankingVanillaice's Avatar

Question SACD Players

Does anyone know were I can buy the cheapest SACD player only? Does all SACD players have fiber optic connections so I can use digital connection to my Edirol MA-10D monitors?

Here is a good starter SACD/DVD/DVD-A changer:
    http://new2.onecall.com/ProductDetai...NID=978&ASaP=1

However you cannot use the optical connection for SACD or DVD-A. You can only use the analog multi channel outputs.

Can I connect Coaxial digital connections?

Is this SACD player better than the one that N. Abstentia showed me?

Samsung DVD-HD841 [DVDHD841] Progressive Scan DVD Player with 1080i/720P Video Output?

Spanking, to be clear ...

Quote Originally Posted by SpankingVanillaice
    Can I connect Coaxial digital connections?
    No consumer SACD player provides a standard Toslink or coaxial digital output of the SACD layer. Only the CD (hybrid) layer of the SACD disc can be output digitally. (and for that you don't need an SACD player only a CD player).

If you want have SACD sound, you have to use the analog outputs of the SACD player. If I'm not mistaken, your active speakers will accept analog input (as well digital), so that's the way you will have to go.

Well, I have one ...

Is this SACD player better than the one that N. Abstentia showed me?

Samsung DVD-HD841 [DVDHD841] Progressive Scan DVD Player with 1080i/720P Video Output?
    And it is very good. I can certainly say that it's better than the Toshiba, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    No consumer SACD player provides a standard Toslink or coaxial digital output of the SACD layer. Only the CD (hybrid) layer of the SACD disc can be output digitally. (and for that you don't need an SACD player only a CD player).

If you want have SACD sound, you have to use the analog outputs of the SACD player. If I'm not mistaken, your active speakers will accept analog input (as well digital), so that's the way you will have to go.
    Can a CD player that has Toslink or Coaxial connections play music higher than 20Khz? Or only SACD can do this?

Question

I dont know if this is true but is it true that normal cd's can only go up to 20kHz? and only SACD can go higher than 20kHz?

Forum Regular
    It is true that SACD has a much wider bandwidth, up to 100kHz. Here is a useful link:

http://www.geocities.com/columbiaisa/cd_sacd.htm

But many players I have seen are -3dB down at 50kHz.

Yes, it's true

I dont know if this is true but is it true that normal cd's can only go up to 20kHz? and only SACD can go higher than 20kHz?
    CD goes to 22kHz and SACD much higher. Of course, you cannot consciously hear above 20kHz. (In my own case, because I'm such an old guy, I don't hear anything above 10kHz.)

Some reseachers claim to have evidence that higher frequencies are perceived if not directly heard, but I think the advantages of SACD sound (if any) do not stem from higher frequency reproduction per se.

For me, though, the real advantage of SACD is that it is multi-channel.

nightflier

Hdmi

Actually the new HDMI spec (due out before x-mas) is supposed to support SACD. Also, several proprietary formats like Denon-Link are supposed to offer SACD playback between compatible units.

Of course, these hook-ups won't find their way onto the cheapest SACD players that SpankingVanilla is asking for.

More to the point ...

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Actually the new HDMI spec (due out before x-mas) is supposed to support SACD. Also, several proprietary formats like Denon-Link are supposed to offer SACD playback between compatible units.

Of course, these hook-ups won't find their way onto the cheapest SACD players that SpankingVanilla is asking for.
    More to the point, Spanking's active speakers don't have HDMI inputs.

However it' interesting to hear the HDMI supports SACD. Is the signal digital or analog? If digital, is it DSD or PCM? If PCM what bits and frequency?

you ask lots of funny questions.

CD goes to 22kHz and SACD much higher. Of course, you cannot consciously hear above 20kHz. (In my own case, because I'm such an old guy, I don't hear anything above 10kHz.)

Some reseachers claim to have evidence that higher frequencies are perceived if not directly heard, but I think the advantages of SACD sound (if any) do not stem from higher frequency reproduction per se.

For me, though, the real advantage of SACD is that it is multi-channel.
    I believe you can hear frequencies above 20 khz even on cd's. In my room it is perceived by me to give music a halographic quality, others may perceive this as harshness. On my player I can cut these frequencies, when you cut these frequencies the halograpic quality is gone.

Question

I talked to few guys and they said that SACD's are made for people who has more than one pair of speakers since if you don't have more than one pair of speakers you will be missing lots of sounds that are played in the recording. But is this true? Since if it is then its not worth getting a SACD player since I only use one pair of speakers and I need every part of my music to be played out of the one pair of speakers that I only have.

IMO you are not going to hear the difference of sacd over a cd unless you have a very revealing system. You don't have to play sacd through a mult-channel system, you can have it play with just the fronts hooked up through the tape input or whatever. That's what I do and I prefer that to the 6 channel input. The other reason for getting an sacd player is they are probably a better source than a typical cd or dvd player, but then again that may have alot to do with how much your willing to spend to acquire a quality source. Like I know you can get them for under $300 bucks, but are they any good? I am planning to get the new Parasound sacd player sometime next year listed at $1500.
    I guess I should not have answered your post since I use 10 speakers.

Thread Information