Forum Regular

Rookie needing an expert

Let's try this again: What's the difference between the Sony 400 Disc DVD Players!!!

Model #DVP-CX985V and Model #DVP-CX777ES. The only difference I can find is $400 and one is black the other is silver. I like black anyway One salesman told me that only the ES model plays SACDs but in looking at spec sheets they both appear to. Also, as a rookie I see no differences on the specs. So what's the difference all you experts? I hope I get more replies than I did to my other postings.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I've never owned Sony

Quote Originally Posted by Larrymac
    Let's try this again: What's the difference between the Sony 400 Disc DVD Players!!!

Model #DVP-CX985V and Model #DVP-CX777ES. The only difference I can find is $400 and one is black the other is silver. I like black anyway One salesman told me that only the ES model plays SACDs but in looking at spec sheets they both appear to. Also, as a rookie I see no differences on the specs. So what's the difference all you experts? I hope I get more replies than I did to my other postings.
    But I have a friend with an ES player. The ES line is their "top of the line" Very similar to the Pioneer Elite line. It's not just more expensive, it's designed better, with better internal components, and assembled to more stringent quality standards. Whether this is worth it to you is a choice you'll have to make.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

If you do some surfing...

..as I did, you can get all sorts of info re: these units...the only specifics I'll mention are:

DVP-CX985V: 12 Bit 108MHz video DAC and 96kHZ 24 Bit audio

DVP-CX777ES: 12 Bit 216MHz video w/NSV(NullSoft Video) and 192kHz 24 Bit audio

So there would appear to be a difference in THOSE specs. Of what significance they are is beyond me, as I'm somewhat of a digital Luddite...

The ES unit also claims better damping and isolation for the transport(compared to what?) and gold-plated RCAs...aluminum faceplate...RS-232c port...

You could download users manuals for both and compare features, but you will have to find them yourself via the web...

Other than some specs and features, the only real bit of info that I am aware of is that the ES line has a 5year warranty, the other stuff one or two at most...and that is something you pay for...there may in fact be better parts inside, etc. and therefore SONY is more comfortable with the longer time period OR it's simply analogous to the added expense of additional warranties you might buy from your retailer...I'm not sure which scenario is more accurate...it maybe a bit of both...

jimHJJ(...just thought I'd try to provide some sort of answer and/or food for thought, no matter how lame...)

Thread Information