Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Regular

recommendations for CD player

hello there! trust all is well & all are enjoying their music very much!

finally managed to save up a bit, would like to know your expert opinions on what CD player I should consider... or transport & DAC separates.
    I would prefer a vacuum tube CD player; never really liked the solid states, other than a Wadia or Meridian, but at the time didn't have a budget to afford either, but now I do!

My budget is $6000 (6 grand in AUS$) Australian dollars.
    I was looking at the following as my preferred list:
    1. Conrad Johnson (yet to launch, new model on the way...)
    2. Cary CD 300t
    3. Audio Research
    4. MacIntosh
    5. Cayin CD 17T
    6. BAT
    7. Wadia or Meridian

now onto You - any suggestions out there? would be appreciative if you could tell me specifics based on YOUR experience and not something read off a magazine please... I can do that myself!

there are too many people here that think they know it all, when they haven't even heard the dam thing themselves!

I am looking for that respectable person who has had first hand experience with a very good CD player, one that has tubes, and one that they would recomment highly. The list I had mentioned above I have listened to them all, and had all of them in my very own c-j maggie setup back in my home country, so therefore I know their sonic character. I eventually settled for a glorious c-j DV2B cd player, which c-j no longer makes, and had to sell it off when I moved over to melbourne. this is now starting from scratch, and the cd player I am currently using is a Cayin CD50T, wonderful player for the money. Obviously does not compete in the same league as the rest of my electronics: c-j ACT2 preamp, c-j MV60se power amp, and Quad ESL 2905 electrostats.

would be interested to hear your advice...
    many thanks and have a good all! cheers, Raj J

Suspended
    It may be difficult to find but T+A makes and incredible tube CDP, it may be out of your budget at $8k USD, not sure how the money translates. I am really impressed by there solid state players as well.

I have an entry level 1.1x Audio Note tube DAC that I feel is outstanding, I used, and preferred, it in place of a former Krell 280cd. The higher end AN players or DAC's I would imagine to be just as excellent in their range. I would really recommend a listen as their presentation was more natural than any digital I've heard. I prefer my current T+A over the AN, a bit more superior in the upper and lower extremes with more detail.

I had an older CJ DAC but have not heard any of their newer digital.

Again, I've only heard the solid state but a Musical Fidelity CDP really had some great synergy with my CJ gear. A friend brought his over to hook up. We were impressed by the result.

For what it's worth, a CJ dealer whom I highly respect says good things about Shanling CD players. He is a great distance so I have not heard the tube players yet.

In my humble opinion I do not feel Audio Research and CJ would mix at all, two different "house sounds". People seem to be in one camp or the other with these two brands.

I try to match sources to my CJ gear that embrace the CJ pace and musicality. Hope you keep us posted on units you try and ultimately what you end up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Raj J View Post
    hello there! trust all is well & all are enjoying their music very much!

finally managed to save up a bit, would like to know your expert opinions on what CD player I should consider... or transport & DAC separates.
    I would prefer a vacuum tube CD player; never really liked the solid states, other than a Wadia or Meridian, but at the time didn't have a budget to afford either, but now I do!

My budget is $6000 (6 grand in AUS$) Australian dollars.
    I was looking at the following as my preferred list:
    1. Conrad Johnson (yet to launch, new model on the way...)
    2. Cary CD 300t
    3. Audio Research
    4. MacIntosh
    5. Cayin CD 17T
    6. BAT
    7. Wadia or Meridian

now onto You - any suggestions out there? would be appreciative if you could tell me specifics based on YOUR experience and not something read off a magazine please... I can do that myself!

there are too many people here that think they know it all, when they haven't even heard the dam (sic) thing themselves!

I am looking for that respectable person who has had first hand experience with a very good CD player, one that has tubes, and one that they would recomment highly. The list I had mentioned above I have listened to them all, and had all of them in my very own c-j maggie setup back in my home country, so therefore I know their sonic character. I eventually settled for a glorious c-j DV2B cd player, which c-j no longer makes, and had to sell it off when I moved over to melbourne. this is now starting from scratch, and the cd player I am currently using is a Cayin CD50T, wonderful player for the money. Obviously does not compete in the same league as the rest of my electronics: c-j ACT2 preamp, c-j MV60se power amp, and Quad ESL 2905 electrostats.

would be interested to hear your advice...
    many thanks and have a good all! cheers, Raj J
    Well you don't you tell me to just fnck off & die, eh, Raj.

Or are you just showing off in front of us "little people". I think you'll find not many people in this forum can afford a $6000 CDP, so I suggest you ask, (if you haven't already) ,over at Audio Asylum where there are a good many well-heeled "inmates" who share your snotty attitude.

Nevertheless I'll venture that my list of $6k players would include the Ayre C-5xeMP. FWIW it got an 'A+' rating in the recent Stereophile-- but of course you know this. I'll also venture -- based on personal experience -- that I wouldn't be without SACD playback.

Forum Regular
    Thanks Peabody! great insight, I will certainly look into the names you mentioned and try to have a listen as well.

Feanor - I was not referring to be snotty- Hell no!
    terribly sorry if I did mate; sometimes I do make statements that do sound snotty. I don't know where it comes from... but hey, if you have come across my other posts I really enjoy my music and like for those to enjoy out there as well.

I really couldn't care less how they enjoy their music whether on a 100 grand system or $10 tin kettle unit from radio shack, as long as they're enjoying their music.

It took me quite a long time to save up again, and I personally believe 6 grand should get me something decent... so I would like to know what's out there before I start spending...
    Cheers!
    RJ
    thanks for noting that the player should also include SACD format, actually I didn't think of that!

My vote would be for this Marantz SA-7S1 SACD player. I have always liked the sound of the higher end Marantz players. Even their lower end players are good. They tend to have that warmer, analog, almost tube like typical marantz sound.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...roductId=SA7S1
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    thanks for your message Blackraven!

yes, I do agree about the Marantz; however I preferred their vintage tube amps, not so much their cd players...

I remember having a marantz cd63se and a few other top line one at the time used during the late 80's; they were good, but then when I tried Arcam, NAD, Musical Fidelity, Rega, & Copland - too me these were better in overall soundstage, especially the Arcam which I had for quite sometime before starting to try out the highend from c-j, mac, audio research, cary etc... I heard in the TAS review for May I think it was, editors choice awards - the marantz 800 something series was a very good recommendation. BUT I have not heard it myself, so I wouldn't know.

I was also wondering whether to go for separates - DAC & transport; I have heard the wonderful Weiss DAC it is outstanding! and it was driven with all conrad johnson gear. the transport was however - no transport! music files were coming out from a mac pc! I am not into the pc stuff yet, but now I know why the guy had all this connected to a Weiss DAC ...

Any suggestions much appreciated?
    thanks, RJ

Charm Thai™
    I haven't auditioned any CD players in a while but an acquaintance has the McIntosh MCD-500 and wow I want one. Easy to use and never did I feel like it was too solid-statey sounding. Fits in your budget as well. If my current transport/dac ever crapped out this is what I would purchase.

... would like to know your expert opinions on what CD player I should consider... or transport & DAC separates.
    If you have a large SACD library, then you pretty much are forced to buy a combo player. If, on the other hand, most of your content is Redbook CD, then I would suggest separates. I purchased what will be my last CD player ten years ago. Server based sources are so much more flexible and there are interfaces which can provide equivalent performance to traditional transports. Clearly, that is the way the market is evolving. My vintage system uses Manley DAC (with a tube analog output stage) driven by a Squeezebox Touch fed by an i7-860 server. While that is not exactly the quality you seek, the flexibility has convinced me that when I replace the GamuT player upstairs, I will go a similar server based route.

Ever hear a Meitner product? I've heard several EMM Labs products at Sea Cliff ranging from the basic player to the six channel multichannel separates to the superlative XDS1 player. While the XDS1 runs a cool $25k, Ed Meitner has a new company with his debut product being a $7000 DAC. I'm thinking that will be a great contender at the price point.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    In my humble opinion I do not feel Audio Research and CJ would mix at all, two different "house sounds". People seem to be in one camp or the other with these two brands.
    While I'm sure that's true for some folks, I feel quite the opposite. Earlier VTL gear like my MB-450 monoblocks tends to be more in the warm C-J camp. I find great system synergy using an Audio Research preamp with vinyl or going direct to a solid state GamuT CDP, both of which tend towards a leaner sound. I find those combinations work quite well together with the result failing in between the extremes. Like peanut butter and chocolate.

rw

thanks for your message Blackraven!

yes, I do agree about the Marantz; however I preferred their vintage tube amps, not so much their cd players...

I remember having a marantz cd63se and a few other top line one at the time used during the late 80's; they were good, but then when I tried Arcam, NAD, Musical Fidelity, Rega, & Copland - too me these were better in overall soundstage, especially the Arcam which I had for quite sometime before starting to try out the highend from c-j, mac, audio research, cary etc... I heard in the TAS review for May I think it was, editors choice awards - the marantz 800 something series was a very good recommendation. BUT I have not heard it myself, so I wouldn't know.

I was also wondering whether to go for separates - DAC & transport; I have heard the wonderful Weiss DAC it is outstanding! and it was driven with all conrad johnson gear. the transport was however - no transport! music files were coming out from a mac pc! I am not into the pc stuff yet, but now I know why the guy had all this connected to a Weiss DAC ...

Any suggestions much appreciated?
    thanks, RJ
    I think you are mistaken sir....the Marantz Reference is totally different from a cd63se which has never been top of the line. ...I think you need to take your own advice. I assure you a Arcam, NAD, Musical Fidelity, Rega, & Copland will be out classed in the Red Book and SACD department.

This is top of the line Marantz SA-7S1 at $6000 and nothing like the $300marantz cd63se you are talking about.You asked for $6000 and tube, well I betcha in your system it will be tube like while being SS....try stepping into some class for a while instead of the same old status quo.

Last edited by frenchmon; 06-21-2011 at 02:14 PM.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

I agree with the Frenchmon, the Marantz SACD player that I mentioned is an audiophile player and competes with the big boys. It deserves a listen if you have a dealer nearby that has one.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    I think you are mistaken sir....the Marantz Reference is totally different from a cd63se which has never been top of the line. ...I think you need to take your own advice. I assure you a Arcam, NAD, Musical Fidelity, Rega, & Copland will be out classed in the Red Book and SACD department.

This is top of the line Marantz SA-7S1 at $6000 and nothing like the $300marantz cd63se you are talking about.You asked for $6000 and tube, well I betcha in your system it will be tube like while being SS....try stepping into some class for a while instead of the same old status quo.

hey Frenchmon,

many thanks for your advice! i never heard of this marantz unit? SA-7s1, never even seen it before! the top of the line marantz i ever went to was a cd17 something, very famous at the time, thereafter i forgot about marantz all together.

so in summary: if i was to spend $6 grand, you're saying that this marantz is it?

others have recommended the mac...cdp
    please confirm.
    cheers, RJ

Forum Regular

message from RJ

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat View Post
    If you have a large SACD library, then you pretty much are forced to buy a combo player. If, on the other hand, most of your content is Redbook CD, then I would suggest separates. I purchased what will be my last CD player ten years ago. Server based sources are so much more flexible and there are interfaces which can provide equivalent performance to traditional transports. Clearly, that is the way the market is evolving. My vintage system uses Manley DAC (with a tube analog output stage) driven by a Squeezebox Touch fed by an i7-860 server. While that is not exactly the quality you seek, the flexibility has convinced me that when I replace the GamuT player upstairs, I will go a similar server based route.

Ever hear a Meitner product? I've heard several EMM Labs products at Sea Cliff ranging from the basic player to the six channel multichannel separates to the superlative XDS1 player. While the XDS1 runs a cool $25k, Ed Meitner has a new company with his debut product being a $7000 DAC. I'm thinking that will be a great contender at the price point.

rw
    hey rw (e-stat) i certainly agree. in fact as i was saying the demo system with Quad, c-j and nordost, analog source was a simple TT from sound ref, and the digital system was from a mac book hooked up to a Weiss DAC, sound was stunning.

As you mentioned, i only have about 15 SACD's the rest of thousands are normal versions, hence i have too many to be using pc's and music servers, what do i do with all my cd's?

at the end of the day, i want to just purchase a dam good cdp preferably with tubes on the output stage and to keep this cdp for sometime, at least 10 years or so.

now, i'm all confused! some are saying mac, music servers, marantz and goodness knows what else,
    what are your suggestions ranked from 1-3 as your top 3 for $6 grand, that might make things easier.

also, i know yuo have the VTL 450 monoblocks, infact my very first monoblocks were manley 350 reference series, great sound driving my maggies 3.5/r - therefore i would say we have a similar preference in sound, hence let me know your advice for this cdp i am looking out for.

appreciate all your responses, thanks!
    RJ

hey Frenchmon,

many thanks for your advice! i never heard of this marantz unit? SA-7s1, never even seen it before! the top of the line marantz i ever went to was a cd17 something, very famous at the time, thereafter i forgot about marantz all together.

so in summary: if i was to spend $6 grand, you're saying that this marantz is it?

others have recommended the mac...cdp
    please confirm.
    cheers, RJ
    The Marantz player does SACD as well as Red Book in stunning fashion. But of course system matching is all important. Its not tubes, but is based on the Marantz legendary tube performance of old with a warm tube sound. Those who really don't like a warm tube sound don't like the SA-7s1 but those who do, love it. the only known problem is a new SA-7s1 out of the box takes a while to break in. Once broken in its an outstanding player. Some have discarded the player not knowing the break in time, while thinking the player was over rated, only to find out from others of the break in time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

The Marantz would be my number one player if I had $6K to burn. Frenchmon is right on all counts about the Marantz unit. Good luck and happy hunting!
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Ok thanks,
    I guess now I need to go and look for a Marantz dealer to audtion this thing. I don't think there is anyone here in Melbourne... oh great!

Melbourne is very limited when it comes to highend audio, you would mostly c-j, Quad, mac, cary, rotel audio research, vtl, manley, jas, image, vandersteen, sunos faber, maggies etc...

very rarely do you find the outstanding stuff like, Lamm, audio note, Wilson, ayon etc... hence finding someone who carries Marantz highend is going to be like a walk in the desert without water!

I can bet my left nut, that the so called highend "Marantz dealer" is not even located in Melbourne and would probably be in sydney, hence I would have to fly over there just to audition it!

Apart from this Marantz - what's the next BEST thing you recommend?

appreciate your suggestions.
    cheers, RJ

Suspended
    The PS Audio separate transport & DAC are about $6k, it had a nice warm presentation. I personally liked the T+A better but apparently the PSA is selling pretty well. I would imagine the Mac being a decent match with your system. My only hesitation I've heard some Mac gear that sounded to me terribly rolled off and not have the resolution you should hear for that type of money. It may very well be worth the wait to hear the new CJ. My personal taste Marantz would not be my first choice and probably far down my list, not that it's bad, just not my taste, same as the PSA or Mac. You mentioned BAT earlier, although I haven't heard their CDP's I'd certainly give them a listen.

Just curious Raj if you've noticed we have the same amp, your pre is a good step above mine though. I love CJ gear, it has a very good pace and musicality to it. I like to keep with that but keep as well an extended high end a good bass response. I am not a Maggie fan but do like electrostats, especially with good tube gear. Maggies I don't find versatile enough for me. I did use Dynaudio speakers with my CJ but currently running a more efficient Zu Audio. The MV60's drove the Dyn's well enough I was just looking for a different presentation.

Hi RJ...what type of music do you listen to?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    The PS Audio separate transport & DAC are about $6k, it had a nice warm presentation. I personally liked the T+A better but apparently the PSA is selling pretty well. I would imagine the Mac being a decent match with your system. My only hesitation I've heard some Mac gear that sounded to me terribly rolled off and not have the resolution you should hear for that type of money. It may very well be worth the wait to hear the new CJ. My personal taste Marantz would not be my first choice and probably far down my list, not that it's bad, just not my taste, same as the PSA or Mac. You mentioned BAT earlier, although I haven't heard their CDP's I'd certainly give them a listen.

Just curious Raj if you've noticed we have the same amp, your pre is a good step above mine though. I love CJ gear, it has a very good pace and musicality to it. I like to keep with that but keep as well an extended high end a good bass response. I am not a Maggie fan but do like electrostats, especially with good tube gear. Maggies I don't find versatile enough for me. I did use Dynaudio speakers with my CJ but currently running a more efficient Zu Audio. The MV60's drove the Dyn's well enough I was just looking for a different presentation.
    Hello Mr. Peabody, thanks for your message.

Yes! we do have the same amps - however I have slightly modified my MV60SE; I have replaced the 6550c tubes with KT120 tubes from TungSol - the presentation is remarkable! partnered with the ACT2 the live impact and realism is easily achieved without any strain whatsoever off the Quad ESL 2905's. I using very nuetral cables and interconnects from DHLabs Silver Sonic Air Matrix and Q10's. I guess another factor contributing to this overall live presentation is that I've got about $5000 grand worth of just power conditioning systems that are placed right after the AC out let and before the system. I'm using the THOR PS10 power conditioner and another unit called the Quantum Qx4 cube that was quite expensive. But welll worth the spend.

The Qx4 is from Nordost, and highly recommended, I didn't know that it would add such a sonic presentation on a far margin better than what I was already experiencing. You should try it out, you'll be amazed! Especially with prestine tube gear like c-j amps, the Qx4 or Qx2 (smaller version of the 4) simply takes the entire presentation/soundstage to a whole new level.

There are low level details that I didn't hear before, the bass is far more solid on the KT120 tubes, the highs and mids are smooth as, and the soundsatge is glorious, it's like you're right there front row or on the stage itself!

The sound I'm getting is absolutely top notch, I have never had this experience before from any of my previous systems, hence I am very reluctant to change...

The only problem or plausible flaw that I could pinpoint if one was to needle prick - is that the digital source is not upto the same standards as the rest of the gear. It's just a simple vacuum Tube CD player from Cayin, that seems to match very well in this system, and performs to it's best, obviously because it is getting the best. I did have c-j's older Cd player with tubes called the dv2b, that is no longer made. What I 'm after is another dv2b or separate tarnsport dac equivalent. C-j don't know when they're hoping to put this out, but someday they will, and I know for a fact when it gets to Australia it's going to be somewhere around 6 grand... Hence I thought I'd just start shopping around now as a bench mark so that I don't make that same mistake I did 10 years ago...

I really burnt my fingers with that dv2b, but absolutely loved it sound. To me, that was the best CD player I ever owned.

Cheers and nice to talk to you Peabody.
    RJ

Forum Regular

type of music I listen to mostly

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Hi RJ...what type of music do you listen to?
    Hey Frenchmon; type of music I really listen to well & enjoy,
    I have all the albums of Diana Krall and Casandra Wilson, all the albums of Tiereny Sutton, all the albums of Liz Wright, Melody Gardot, Madeline Peroux, Patrica Barber - every one of them!

the above I listen to mostly which is female jazz vocals.

then I have extensive albums from the following:
    George Benson (whom I have met in person!)
    Larry Carlton & Lee Ritnouer
    Rusell Malone
    Kenny Burrel
    Bob James Fourplay (every album) have also auditioned them live!

the other many classic peices I have are from the following:
    Ella Fitzgerald
    Nina Simone
    Dinah Washington
    Sarah Vaughn
    Peggy Lee
    Rene Marie

Other music I also listen to extensively are from:
    Chris Boti
    Miles Davis
    Chet Baker
    Oscar Peterson
    Ray Brown trio
    Stan Getz
    Lester Young
    Sonny Rollins
    Duke Elington
    Ray Charles
    Ahmad Jamal
    Bill Charlap
    Jacky Terrason
    Carla Cook
    Erin Bode
    DinaDeRose
    Jessica Williams
    Casandra Mckinelly
    Karin Allison

I also have others such as Sting, Eagles, Dire Straits, and some Carlos Santana, Josh Groban, Michael Buble... which the wifey mostly would listen to but also sounds quite awesome through the Quads.

That's about it, my last album was a special edition from Roberta Flack called "first take" and Stings special edition of his great hits performed with the london symphony - awesome music!

cheers, RJ

Forum Regular
    If I had that kind of money to throw around I'd still spring for a great DAC combined with a solid transport.

Suspended
    Frenchmon, would the Electrocompanient be an option for Raj?

The thing is $6k opens a large field of good players. I only heard Esoteric once but the system it was in I really couldn't tell if it warranted it's price tag. Most retail for Esoteric is over $6k but I recently have seen some universal players at Spearitsound near that price USD.

Suspended
    Raj, I converted my MV60's to mono, I have the EL34 version. I understand the SE has a bit more slam and control but have been told the trade off is a bit of midrange magic. I have questioned my CJ connection about other CJ amps, they admit the LP's would remove even more veiling but always say something to the effect "it wouldn't be as musical as the MV60". This leads me to sort of believe the MV60 is a special amp in their line up. Why would they even hint to discourage a possible future sale, that's why I trust them so much, that and the fact they've always been first class dealing with me.

I had a solid state CJ DAC, I think the PV1. It was very good for it's age, displaying an excellent sound stage. It was not neutral though, it had a very warm dark character to it. It would probably be very nice for your type of music but you could definitely hear it's softening of things on Rock or more energetic music styles. You do have me wondering though, now that I have other speakers I need to put the Audio Note DAC back on the system to see what happens. I typically liked solid state sources through my CJ gear for a certain balance. Only certain solid state gear though, I had a Krell CDP which didn't seem to have the synergy I was looking for.

At the end of the day though you should buy the brands available to you that would allow for a return if you weren't happy with it's result.

I have all the albums of Diana Krall and Casandra Wilson, all the albums of Tiereny Sutton, all the albums of Liz Wright, Melody Gardot, Madeline Peroux, Patrica Barber - every one of them!

Rusell Malone
    Kenny Burrel

Ella Fitzgerald
    Nina Simone
    Dinah Washington
    Sarah Vaughn
    Peggy Lee
    Rene Marie

Chris Boti
    Miles Davis
    Chet Baker
    Oscar Peterson
    Ray Brown trio
    Stan Getz
    Lester Young
    Sonny Rollins
    Duke Elington
    Ray Charles
    Ahmad Jamal
    Bill Charlap
    Jacky Terrason
    Carla Cook
    Erin Bode
    DinaDeRose
    Jessica Williams
    Casandra Mckinelly
    Karin Allison

I also have others such as Sting, Eagles, Dire Straits, and some Carlos Santana, Josh Groban, Michael Buble... which the wifey mostly would listen to but also sounds quite awesome through the Quads.

That's about it, my last album was a special edition from Roberta Flack called "first take" and Stings special edition of his great hits performed with the london symphony - awesome music!

cheers, RJ
    Raj...most guys who love a lot of hard rock, rock and roll, Gothic music don't do well with the warmth of Marantz Reference for whatever reasons. They usually like Krell, and those hard hitting type of sounding amps and CDP's. But those who prefer alot of Jazz love Marantz Reference and the warmth and realism that Marantz Reference has to offer. Seeing the list you provided, I would strongly recommend Marantz Reference.
    Last edited by frenchmon; 06-28-2011 at 08:16 AM.

Rusell Malone
    Kenny Burrel

Ella Fitzgerald
    Nina Simone
    Dinah Washington
    Sarah Vaughn
    Peggy Lee
    Rene Marie

Chris Boti
    Miles Davis
    Chet Baker
    Oscar Peterson
    Ray Brown trio
    Stan Getz
    Lester Young
    Sonny Rollins
    Duke Elington
    Ray Charles
    Ahmad Jamal
    Bill Charlap
    Jacky Terrason
    Carla Cook
    Erin Bode
    DinaDeRose
    Jessica Williams
    Casandra Mckinelly
    Karin Allison

cheers, RJ
    Its also nice to see I have a deep passion for the same music as you....Besides having just about all the artist you mentioned above in my musical library...

I also just recently purchased first printings of Roberto Flack on vinyl... "First Take", "Chapter Two" , "Killing Me Softly" and "Born to Love (with Peabo Bryson)"

Happy Listening.

frenchmon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information