Forum Regular

Recommend A USB DAC!

I have been toying with the idea of buying a hi-end CD Player. After a fair amount of thought, I've decided to buy a DAC instead, so I can play music files directly from my laptop into my stereo system.

Are there any decent USB DACs for less than $500??

I found the Stereo-Link for $200. http://www.stereo-link.com/

Any comments on the Stereo-Link???

never heard of the Stereo link, but I have the M-Audio Audiophile USB and I love it. It's got an external power supply, and it has digital and analog inputs and outputs, so you can use it as a DAC, OR you can plug into another DAC or HT receiver. You can also use it for recording records or tapes to the computer. It sounds great too! about $150-200 online.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ericl
    never heard of the Stereo link, but I have the M-Audio Audiophile USB and I love it. It's got an external power supply, and it has digital and analog inputs and outputs, so you can use it as a DAC, OR you can plug into another DAC or HT receiver. You can also use it for recording records or tapes to the computer. It sounds great too! about $150-200 online.

Yes, the M-Audio Audiophile USB, this something I'm interested in. THANKS!!!

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I have read about the Stereo Link, and it seems like a good product for the money. I have been using a NumberCruncher 1.0 for a couple of years and like it a lot. An audiophile friend of mine and I have A-Bed it to our reference component gear (basically an Adcom system with NHT speakers). It holds up ok, but not fully. I recently read about the Wavelength Block (http://www.wavelengthaudio.com/usbdac.html), which, if based on price only ($1700) is a far superior product (get what you pay for - I hope).

Thread Information