Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Receiver DAC vs. CD Player DAC

Okay you digi-know-it-alls...I was asked today if there's any difference in sound quality between running analog cables from cd player to receiver and running an optical cable from player to receiver. I didn't think it would matter really either way, but I'm not 100%sure.

The receiver is a brand new HTR-5760, and the CD player is a 5 year old Yamaha 5 disc carousel...he couldn't remember the exact model #, I'm sure it's pretty basic though.
    I'm 99% confident the DAC is better in the receiver than the old cd player, but does that necessarily translate into real-world performance?

Thanks.

Forum Regular
    I would say yes. The DAC has improved over the years. My new Pioneer VSX-2012 receiver's DAC is better than old Denon 3300 receiver (4 or 5 years old) which in terms was better than my older Pioneer 525 DVD player. Newer player may also have better DAC. My Sony DVD/SACD player's DAC is better than the old Denon 3300. You can certainly hear the difference.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Okay you digi-know-it-alls...I was asked today if there's any difference in sound quality between running analog cables from cd player to receiver and running an optical cable from player to receiver. I didn't think it would matter really either way, but I'm not 100%sure.

The receiver is a brand new HTR-5760, and the CD player is a 5 year old Yamaha 5 disc carousel...he couldn't remember the exact model #, I'm sure it's pretty basic though.
    I'm 99% confident the DAC is better in the receiver than the old cd player, but does that necessarily translate into real-world performance?

Thanks.
    Only a good DBT will ever tell.
    I wouldn't worry about it. But, it is a good practice to send the digital signal as far as you can before converting back to analog.
    mtrycrafts

Listening to my Panny XR25 ...

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Okay you digi-know-it-alls...I was asked today if there's any difference in sound quality between running analog cables from cd player to receiver and running an optical cable from player to receiver. ,,, does that necessarily translate into real-world performance? Thanks.
    The evidence of my ears is that my old Technics CDP actually sounds better through analog than Toslink.

With analog receivers, using analog cables from the CDP, you're using the player's DAC; with coax or Toslink, the receiver's. But in the case of digitals, presumably there is no need for DAC if you input a digital signal; analog signals, on the other hand, must be digitized. So how, as in my case, can going digital => analog => digital sound better?

I believe the Panasonic digitized all analog signals at 192KHz before passing that signal to the digital amplifier. In the case of CD, it maybe (?) it pass 44.1KHz directly without up-sampling. So perhaps the digital amp doesn't handle 44.1KHz signals as well as the 192KHz. Who knows?

It's easy enough to test out.

If your changer has a digital output, all it will take is an interconnect to an unused digital input on the receiver along with the existing red/white analog connection. Then you can switch between the two until the cows come home.

Of course, if the changer lacks a digital output, then it's a moot point and all bets are off.

Question Yup, I've done the A/B

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    If your changer has a digital output, all it will take is an interconnect to an unused digital input on the receiver along with the existing red/white analog connection. Then you can switch between the two until the cows come home...
    And the result is I prefer the player's DAC to whatever the receiver does with 44.KHz digital input. The real question is, why would a digital receiver sound better using analog input, as opposed to a digital input from the same recording?

Thread Information