Forum Regular

Opinions on CD player upgrade...

Hi,

I could use some advice. I am considering replacing a budget grade denon DVD player that I currently use as my CD player with the following Marantz CD player:

http://us.marantz.com/Products/1154.asp

Do you think this is worth it? Will it make any difference?

I have a NAD 80w amp, B&W speakers, AQ cables. I only listen to 2 channel music.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered...

nightflier
    You may want to consider a NAD player instead. You'll be able to use your amp's remote to control it. Another thought is to get a decent DAC. You should be able to find a decent DAC on eBay or Audiogon for about $300 that will breathe new life into your DVD player. Here's a couple:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....onv&1215186105

http://cgi.ebay.com/MSB-TECCHNOLOGY-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/THETA-DS-PRO-PRO...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Theta-DSPro-Prim...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm a big fan of Theta - they have been in this business for a long time and have excellent DACs at great prices, IMO.

Its a very good budget CDP and should make a difference. You should also consider the MusicHall 25.2 CDP. I've seen it selling for around $499 lately. Another one to consider is the oppo 983 universal player which also plays SACD's.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I own the Marantz CD5001 along with the Marantz SA8001. I think the CD5001 is an incredible budget player. I think you will be very happy. I enjoyed mine for two years until I had the resources to buy the SA8001. Check out the positive reviews on AudioReview.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Suspended
    I had a Marantz 63SE for many years coupled with an Audio Alchemy DDE1.1. Recently replaced it with the Rotel 1072 which I can highly recommend. I got mine for $600 even.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    I second the Rotel 1072. It really improved the overall sound of my system. Now I need to upgrade the video side and have something that will handle SACD's and DVD-A's also.

PDN
    Forum Regular
    I third the Rotel RCD-1072. Incredible unit. Fantastic reviews. But I'm getting the bug to go up to the Marantz SA-8001 someday. You all know how those bugs grow on ya !!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    I had a Marantz 63SE for many years coupled with an Audio Alchemy DDE1.1. Recently replaced it with the Rotel 1072 which I can highly recommend. I got mine for $600 even.
    Hi,

I auditioned many cd players to replace my marantz cd63se. I tried the cambridge 640c v2, nad c542, rotel 1042, arcam 73t, marantz cd6002, 7001, the consonance cd120 linear. I bought the consonance as it has the most natural musical sound that has a big soundstage. That is my recommendation.

Regards,

Steve.

Forum Regular
    Check this out too, Poth Audio Lite Dac Ah! Uses Non-Os Philips TDA1543 DAC x 8 chips. Has 2 inputs: Coax & Toslink. Tried this out with both my Consonance CD120L and my old Sony S7000 DVD player. This DAC definitely outperforms both the onboard DACs of CD120L and S7000. Capable of presenting quite a vivid performance with good pressings. Worth considering. ( Can be improved upon, but need DIY skills here ). Credit goes to Doede Douma upon which Poth Audio's design is based upon.

Forum Regular
    You should check out the marantz 8260 sacd stereo and multichannel player. It is discontinued, but I believe it was class A in stereophile (correct me if I am wrong). The marantz sa 8001 is the replacement for the 8260, but even my dealer said he prefers the warmth and overall sound of the 8260 over the 8001. I know this wasnt due to commision because it was priced lower at the store due to its discontinuation. Usually the piece can be found on audiogon for around 400 dollars, when it retailed at 1100 new. If you dont mind buying used I think you would benefit from this player a ton and get the best bang for your buck. PS. in my dealers reference room he uses the 8260 for cd and sacd playback. The associated equipment in that room are krell showcase amps and preamps, b and w 802d's, velodyne top of the line subwoofer, top of the line b and w surrounds and a forty grand runco projector. If he has confidence in the 8260 with that system, I think its fair to say its up to snuff with yours. Good luck

Also look at the Music Hall CD25.2 at around $540. Its has a very transparent sound with good detail and resolution. And if you have any interest in 2ch SACD, consider the new oppo 983 universal player at $399. It has great reviews and you get an excellent DVD as well as a very good CD/SACDP. But if you can swing the extra cash, get the Marantz SA-8001 SACDP, you wont be sorry, its a great CDP for the money with a nice warm sound, it might be the last CDP that you would buy. It plays 2ch CD and 2ch SACD only!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP