Forum Regular

quality sound from laptop

How does one get the best possible quality sound out of a laptop computer?

Reality is that we all have an increasing amount of audio in a variety of sound format and quality on our computers/ipods. Leaving the file format "quality" debate (and the question whether it makes sense to try to get good quality sound from a computer file) aside in this thread, I would like to know how to get the best quality sound from a computer to my speakers.

The only thing my laptop has is a jack, and of course we all know how good that is.

I would like for music in the living room, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, etc. to come from a central computer. So it would ideally be able to separate each room out (no use in playing music in the bathroom while in the kitchen, etc.)

I have no need for surroundsound or things like that. Just music.

Should I go for a firewire solution and if so which? Are there any other solutions? Should I combine different hardware (as integrating an amp)? Which way do I go?

Thanks in advance.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    One word...(ok, acronym)...USB.

There are a lot of devices out there that use the USB output of a computer or laptop as a source. USB supports CD quality audio (16bit, 44.1kHz) and a few simple preference settings will output the digital audio stream through USB. It's digital. For all intents and purposes it is CD quality sound and I've read arguments that USB can provide a better bitstream than optical connectors in the jitter arena.

The simplest thing, IMO, would be to purchase as USB DAC and insert it between laptop and receiver. This thread lists many (DAC's for under $400 ??. My last post is my current solution.

You can also convert the USB output to an optical output with one of these devices
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html
    This would let you skip the DAC if you have a receiver that has optical inputs (just about any AV receiver these days).

Those are a few simple Computer-to-stereo options. With a DAC, you can go straight to and Amp, I suppose. Obviously, you need some amplification somewhere. A laptop isn't going to drive speakers on it's own.

If you want a whole house network, that takes some thought and planning. Slim Devices (http://www.slimdevices.com/) offers some solutions here. There are other options depending on your talents/budget/OS/software.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff

If you want a whole house network, that takes some thought and planning. Slim Devices (http://www.slimdevices.com/) offers some solutions here. There are other options depending on your talents/budget/OS/software.
    Thanks for the suggestions noddinoff! I'd be quite interested in finding out more about the other options.
    budget :: any, but would like to do it through the laptop rather then through slimdevices or similar.
    Software :: any that is required.

One easy way to go with Apple is the wireless route. I use the Airport Express to stream from my laptop to my stereo. This is using iTunes. I only have one Airport Express, but you can conceivably add one per stereo. There's a simple pull down menu on iTunes where you select which Airport Express to stream to. The output on the A. Ex. is a mini 1/8" stereo plug that is both analog and optical. You can buy a cheap adaptor for RCA cables or to convert it to a toslink connector (I do the optical out this way to my receiver).

The A Ex. are also wireless routers so if you have a home network you can extend it.

hope this helps.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    One easy way to go with Apple is the wireless route. I use the Airport Express to stream from my laptop to my stereo. This is using iTunes. I only have one Airport Express, but you can conceivably add one per stereo. There's a simple pull down menu on iTunes where you select which Airport Express to stream to. The output on the A. Ex. is a mini 1/8" stereo plug that is both analog and optical. You can buy a cheap adaptor for RCA cables or to convert it to a toslink connector (I do the optical out this way to my receiver).

The A Ex. are also wireless routers so if you have a home network you can extend it.

hope this helps.
    Thanks again noddinoff, but how is the sound quality off an airport express? I fear that the sound quality will be no where near that of a quality DAC? And does the A Ex offer line-out rather then a phone jack?

Yeah, that's the downside of the analog output from the A Ex. I actually haven't used it so I can't give any experience-based comment. I went straight to the optical output. My A/V receiver accepts digital optical; just about any receiver out there does these days.

If I can get around to it, I plan on moving the A Ex to a pre-amp. I'll have to use the analog out for the time being. IF, I get the time, and the spousal approval to set up a second system (not a certainty) I hope to weigh in on this.

Thread Information