low on funds high on hope

playing cds from dvd player thru receiver vs using a specific cd player

what advantages do cd players, like alot of the ones mentioned in the posts before this, have over just a dvd player going through a receiver?
    spl or die.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    All things being equal, no advantage. But if you spend $200 on a DVD player some of that cash pays for the video processing, leaving less for the audio. Spend $200 on a CD player you likely get better audio processing because all the money goes there (but of course, you don't get video).

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vxaudio
    what advantages do cd players, like alot of the ones mentioned in the posts before this, have over just a dvd player going through a receiver?
    you may also find the remotecontrol wont offer some of the features you need, but,dvd players can perform reaqlly well, which i think is simplydown to the buying power of themanufacturer,i use a cheapydvd player for my mp3, cant hear any difference from my NAD AT 10 TIMES the purchase price(usind decent cables)

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    The processing is just part of the cost, but for the most part, isn't really much better (or at all better) in CD players than in DVD players.
    A lot of the cost is redundant, you have to pay for inputs, outputs, chassis, power supply etc...Better CD players generally have better DAC's. Though in the last few years I've heard even entry level CD players make big improvements in this area. And with receivers having more powerful DAC's these days, they might be less important to most people.
    That leaves the upstream and downstream circuitry from the processors. Better components should preserve sound quality. To a point.
    As was mentioned earlier, a DVD player has to do more work than a cd player, so at the same price, chances are the CD player has a bit better components throughout.

Suspended
    The operative term is "going through a receiver", I'm assuming you mean via the digital input. When using the receivers digital input you probably won't hear any difference because you would still be using the receivers DAC and analog output. I have trusted friends who say there is sonic differences between transports and others claim there is not. I haven't had enough experience in this area to say. I have had a cheap TDK CD recorder whose transport sounded like crap through a high end DAC. Which leads me to believe that is some instances there is a difference. By far the largest sonic difference between CD or DVD players will be in the analog output.

AR Newbie Registered Member

outboard DAC

I am in the same boat, using a DVDP to play my cd's, and this will be my next upgrade. It appears to me that it will be better money spent to buy a quality DAC for the DVDP and run it into my preamp. And then down the road if I go to a dedicated CD player then I can still use the quality DAC.

What do you guys think?

Forum Regular
    if you are using an outboard dac then it will make little difference.If you buy a quality cd player it will have a good dac built in and you will connect by analog cables.You wont need an outboard dac.

bill

nightflier
    A few other common sense things to keep in mind:

- A DVD player, especially a universal player, has to figure out what's inserted so it will take longer to read the disk and start playing music.

- CD players, particularly higher end ones, will have more programming options, phase switching, multiple outputs, volume control, etc.

- While it might seem convenient to add a player from the same brand as the receiver, that may not be the best option if your receiver manufacturer does not make decent players (at least at the pricepoint where it would matter).

- If only used as a transport (either with an outboard dac or the receiver's dac), there are still some audible issues you want to listen for like motor noise, timing issues, and the quality of the tray/motor assembly.

- There are many very simple tweaks you can use to improve a low-fi player (cd or dvd), some as simple as placing a stable weight on the player.

- While obvious, don't forget that an external dac will require shelf space and an outlet. Adding both a cd player and a dvd player will also require more shelf space and add another remote to the mix.

- Speaking of remotes, not all the fancy features of higher-end players will be functional on a universal remote.

My 2 cents.

Thread Information