Gray but rockin' Registered Member

Question best cleaner for CD's?

Is there a chemical product out there that is substantially better for cleaning CD's than isopropyl alchohol or mild soap and water?

RGA
    Forum Regular
    You know my first cd I bought in 1987 and i have never cleaned a single cd I have bought since that time. I pay have wiped one down with a cloth if it got cat hair on it or somehting but cd cleaners I don't buy into. Perhaps if they're bad you could buy the stuff to clean the lenses of glasses and the soft cloth that comes with that. One or two squirts and rub it. Though I've never done it. This stuff is pretty cheap. Well under $10.00 Cdn.

Not really

Quote Originally Posted by paco
    Is there a chemical product out there that is substantially better for cleaning CD's than isopropyl alchohol or mild soap and water?
    Like RGA, I've never had to thoroghtly clean a CD. Soap & water should work well. If that doesn't work, an ammonia-based product woud be my next option, preferably pure ammonia. As your would for plastic eye glass lenses, use a very clean, cotton cloth rather than paper tissue as the latter can scratch. And always rub gently back & forth from the center hole to the edge, never with a circular motion around the circumference.

Forum Regular
    I'll chime in and add that I only ever use a microfiber cloth (often the kind recommended for eyeglasses) as it will not scratch the disc and doesn't require a cleaning solution.

Bill

Thread Information